Sony Ericsson HBH-PV770
A chequered finish adds a touch of style to Sony Ericsson's latest Bluetooth headset.
- Excellent outgoing audio, stylish design, compact size
- No volume control buttons, some discomfort when worn for long periods
Sony Ericsson’s HBH-PV770 is certainly stylish and compact, but the lack of volume controls defeats the purpose of a wireless headset.
Price$ 114.00 (AUD)
Stylish and compact yet still managing to produce excellent audio quality, Sony Ericsson’s HBH-PV770 is the latest in a long line of stylish hands-free solutions.
Aesthetically, the PV770 is certainly attractive. A chequered finish on the front sets it apart from the competition, with gloss black edging and a matte black finish providing the finishing touches. Despite the fairly compact size, the plastic casing feels solid and the headset well built.
The PV770 doesn’t come bundled with an ear hook, so it simply relies on an ear bud which sits firmly inside your ear. Although the rubber edge around the ear bud does soften its feel against your skin, the large bud may be a hindrance to some. For prolonged conversations, the PV770 can cause some slight discomfort as it digs into your ear. Thankfully, the device can be worn on either ear, which may solve some comfort issues, and Sony Ericsson does include three different sized ear bud surrounds in the sales package.
Operation is simple as there are only two buttons on the PV770: a tiny power button at the top and a call handling button on the right. Unfortunately, this headset doesn’t include any volume control keys, meaning you’ll have to adjust volume via your mobile phone. This really defeats the purpose of a wireless headset in the first place, though, so it’s certainly an annoyance to say the least.
Audio quality is certainly above average. Outgoing audio is excellent, with the PV770 blocking out most background noise and callers being able to hear us despite holding a conversation with busy city traffic in the background. Incoming audio is slightly less appealing as volume does tend to fluctuate and slight distortion was evident at times, even when our phone had full reception.
In addition to the regular call handling functions, the PV770 also allows you to redial the last called number, transfer the sound from the headset to your phone and vice versa and activate voice dialling (provided this is supported on your phone).
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 2 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 3 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 4 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 5 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft makes serious smartphone play with Lumia 950 range
- Microsoft to live-stream Tuesday's Surface Pro 4, Lumia event
- What we expect from Microsoft's massive device launch: new Surfaces, Lumias, and Band
- Strike now while Apple iPhone 6s prices are cheapest or face paying more
- Nexus team Reddit AMA: Camera bump, Qi wireless charging, and peculiar names explained
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC