Sony Ericsson HBH-PV770
A chequered finish adds a touch of style to Sony Ericsson's latest Bluetooth headset.
- Excellent outgoing audio, stylish design, compact size
- No volume control buttons, some discomfort when worn for long periods
Sony Ericsson’s HBH-PV770 is certainly stylish and compact, but the lack of volume controls defeats the purpose of a wireless headset.
Price$ 114.00 (AUD)
Stylish and compact yet still managing to produce excellent audio quality, Sony Ericsson’s HBH-PV770 is the latest in a long line of stylish hands-free solutions.
Aesthetically, the PV770 is certainly attractive. A chequered finish on the front sets it apart from the competition, with gloss black edging and a matte black finish providing the finishing touches. Despite the fairly compact size, the plastic casing feels solid and the headset well built.
The PV770 doesn’t come bundled with an ear hook, so it simply relies on an ear bud which sits firmly inside your ear. Although the rubber edge around the ear bud does soften its feel against your skin, the large bud may be a hindrance to some. For prolonged conversations, the PV770 can cause some slight discomfort as it digs into your ear. Thankfully, the device can be worn on either ear, which may solve some comfort issues, and Sony Ericsson does include three different sized ear bud surrounds in the sales package.
Operation is simple as there are only two buttons on the PV770: a tiny power button at the top and a call handling button on the right. Unfortunately, this headset doesn’t include any volume control keys, meaning you’ll have to adjust volume via your mobile phone. This really defeats the purpose of a wireless headset in the first place, though, so it’s certainly an annoyance to say the least.
Audio quality is certainly above average. Outgoing audio is excellent, with the PV770 blocking out most background noise and callers being able to hear us despite holding a conversation with busy city traffic in the background. Incoming audio is slightly less appealing as volume does tend to fluctuate and slight distortion was evident at times, even when our phone had full reception.
In addition to the regular call handling functions, the PV770 also allows you to redial the last called number, transfer the sound from the headset to your phone and vice versa and activate voice dialling (provided this is supported on your phone).
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Latest News Articles
- NSW government taps on Android Pay
- LG announces the V20, a phone squarely targeted at audiophiles
- When will your phone get Android Nougat?
- Report: Nexus home button animation and 'night light' option appear amid a batch of leaks
- Samsung officially announces the Galaxy Note 7 and a refreshed GearVR
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCTechnical Support - iPAD, iPhone, Apple devicesNSW
- FTBusiness Development ManagerVIC
- CCWebSphere Message BrokerACT
- CCSQL Database Administrator - DBANSW
- CCSenior Integration Specialist - IP NetworkVIC
- FTTM1 Solution DesignerNSW
- CCLean Six Sigma Project ManagerVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160822/AP/259Asia
- CCWeb Content SpecialistNSW
- CCDesktop Support AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTDigital Product Owner | Advertising Technology | SearchNSW
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT
- FTNational ICT Senior Technical Support EngineerACT
- FTTechnical Lead | Senior Java Developer | EcommerceNSW
- CCSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- FTJava Tech Lead - Full StackNSW
- CCTest Environment ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Solution ArchitectACT
- FTRelease & Configuration Manager | Defence intelligence application | NV1 clearedACT
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/XML) 160818/P/872Asia
- CCData Analyst - multiples roles - EAM experience requiredNSW
- CCProject Manager- Radio CommunicationsVIC
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantVIC