Socom: Special Forces
Socom: Special Forces review: Socom 4 (Socom: US Navy SEALs in some regions) is a tactical shooter
- Effective use of command system to guide different squads.
- Stealth missions are quite satisfying.
- Move compatibility is fun but I wouldn't trade it for a controller experience.
It's not exactly a ground-breaking game but Socom: Special Forces stands out compared to some linear third-person shooters with its unique squad command mechanics.
You can sneak up and slit the throats of your opponents, shoot them in the head at a distance (complete with satisfying head crunch sound effects) or create a diversion by throwing a bullet shell. Just make sure you stash dead bodies in the shadows to avoid raising the alarm.
Sony has been heavily spruiking the game's PlayStation Move compatibility. Call me a traditionalist but while the game works well with the Move Sharp Shooter attachment, I still prefer the controller. Excluding rail shooters such as House of the Dead: Overkill, motion control shooter games don't really thrill me. That said, Socom has boosted my confidence in the Move slightly.
While playing shooter games sometime it is easy to slip into a gun rut. That is, you continuously use the same weapons because you are familiar with them. Counter-Strike players may be familiar with this. Terrorist love their AK-47s while the Counter-Terrorist faction have a penchant for the M4 rifle.
Socom uses a weapons experience system. When a gun is picked up and used to the end of a mission, it is added to your arsenal and can be selected to begin a mission with as well as assigned to your squad. The more you use the gun, the more experience points you gain, the better you are with the weapon. Missions may require you to use a specific type of gun so it is worth sharing some love around.
Socom 4 supports 32 people online multiplayer and there are four different modes you can toy with. Suppression, which is basically team deathmatch, Bomb Squad, Uplink (AKA capture the flag) and Last Defence.
Bomb Squad is particularly fun since you either kill or protect a bomb technician.
The maps are vast and well-designed, providing variety and plenty of places to use the new cover system.
While not exactly on par with games in the Call of Duty series, Socom 4 shouldn't be overlooked. Tactics-based combat provides a refreshing break from the good old-fashioned, fast-paced Rambo-style action shooters and it is worth giving the game a go with the PlayStation Move controller.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- YouTube Gaming update packs in landscape mode, new chat layout, and other improvements
- Warning: The new Marvel: Ultimate Alliance PC ports are a disastrous mess
- Nintendo's hotly anticipated Pokémon Go Plus wearable delayed until September
- Epic CEO: How Microsoft is plotting to cripple Steam and seize control of PC gaming
- SurveyMonkey: Pokémon Go popularity may have already peaked
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCNetwork Engineer - NV2 ClearanceVIC
- FTRuby on Rails DeveloperNSW
- CCDatabase AdministratorNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst (NON-IT)WA
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- CCPeoplsoft Technical SupportACT
- CCData Entry - TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTPortfolio & Program Management ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Architect - CloudVIC
- CCSenior Automation Engineer / TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTGraduate IT supportNSW
- FTProject CoordinatorQLD
- FTCloud EngineerVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle) 160728/AP/623Asia
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT
- CCData Analyst / Data ModelerNSW
- FTService Desk Team LeadNSW
- CCChange Analysts - multiple rolesNSW
- FTIdentity Systems Analyst / Solution DesignerACT
- CCOracle Apex DeveloperWA
- CCSenior Systems AdministratorQLD
- CCTechnical Specialist - EUCNSW
- FTMobility Test AnalystNSW
- FTDefence Network EngineerACT