Sony Xperia M Android phone (preview)
The Xperia M is a budget-conscious smartphone that's likely to have a very competitive price tag
- Notification light
- microSD card slot
- No 4G connectivity
The Sony Xperia M is a budget-conscious smartphone with a competitive price tag, but it lacks 4G connectivity.
Price$ 249.00 (AUD)
Sony is clearly aiming to have an Android phone at every price point and its latest effort is the Xperia M. This is a budget-conscious smartphone has very competitive price tag but lacks 4G support.
Sony's current Xperia smartphones put a big emphasis on design and while the Xperia M is no different, there's less that stands out on this model. There's a built-in notifications light that can be illuminated in different colours and the handset is constructed from a skeleton frame, but there's no glass back panels or transparent elements here.
At 115g and 9.3mm thick, the Xperia M is a very light and thin smartphone. Combined with a 4in screen, it is likely to suit potential users who find the current range of flagship smartphones too large. The phone will be available in black, white, purple and yellow colour variants.
The Xperia M is targeted at budget conscious consumers, so its specifications sheet is about what you would expect from an inexpensive smartphone. There's a 4in TFT touchscreen with a resolution of 854x480, a dual-core 1GHz Snapdragon processor, 1GB of RAM and 4GB of internal memory. Thankfully, there's a microSD card slot supporting memory cards up to 64GB in size.
The Xperia M has a 5-megapixel rear-facing camera with Sony's Exmor RS sensor and single LED flash, while a front-facing VGA camera handles video calls. Other features include a 1750mAh battery and NFC-connectivity, though there's no 4G connectivity.
The Xperia M comes with Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, though the software is once again skinned with Sony's own UI. The Battery Stamina mode feature seen on the Xperia Z is also present here. It prevents applications from running when the screen is locked, therefore saving power.
The Sony Xperia M is available in Australia through Vodafone pre-paid for $199 and also sells for $249 outright through Sony retailers.
A promotional video of the Xperia M can be seen below.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- NSW government taps on Android Pay
- LG announces the V20, a phone squarely targeted at audiophiles
- When will your phone get Android Nougat?
- Report: Nexus home button animation and 'night light' option appear amid a batch of leaks
- Samsung officially announces the Galaxy Note 7 and a refreshed GearVR
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTIT Security & Risk ManagerNSW
- CCSystem Analyst - NetIQNSW
- CCSenior Solutions Architect - SIEMVIC
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- CCChange Communications ManagerNSW
- CCOracle DBA with Solaris experienceNSW
- CCBI-Business Intelligence Technical LeadNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- CCBackfill Support Engineer (Renewable 12-month Contract)Asia
- FTDefence Network EngineerACT
- FTPython Data EngineerWA
- CCNetwork Technology SpecialistVIC
- CCImplementation ManagerVIC
- CCSecurity ArchitectACT
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/AP/781Asia
- FTChange Management Specialist - IT Service ManagementNSW
- CCManager Architecture Practice Lead (Infrastructure Architect)NSW
- CCWebmaster content managementACT
- FTProject ManagerACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (.Net/SQL Server) 160829/SA/244Asia
- CCSenior Project Manager, Cyber Security TransformationNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160822/AP/259Asia
- FTApplication AdministratorACT