Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9
Video editing for beginners
- Valuable new features (including direct-to-Youtube uploads and royalty-free music generator), exhaustive array of video effects and transitions, user-friendly tutorials/interface
- No support for high-def cameras, royalty-free music varies in quality
Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 may not be as comprehensive as its Platinum brother, but it remains an extremely solid offering for novice videographers. If you'd like to add some pizzazz to your movies without breaking your bank account, it will definitely keep you satisfied.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
When it comes to making entertaining videos, no single factor is more important than a misbehaving monkey. They will turn any home movie — even a funeral — into instant comedy gold. Unfortunately, monkeys can be pretty hard to come by. In these simian-free situations, the overall success of your video will mostly come down to the editing process. The quality of the final cut can make all the difference between a riveting movie and a tedious snorefest; whether you’re an avant-garde filmmaker or a handycam-equipped mum. It’s therefore essential to invest in a nonlinear editing suite, such as Sony’s latest Vegas Movie Studio.
Aimed primarily at the casual-shooting demographic, Vegas Movie Studio 9 is a standard-definition editing suite that puts user-friendliness at the forefront. It covers most facets of digital media creation; from adding effects, transitions and titles to designing slick DVD menus and slideshows. Its only failing comes from the lack of AVCHD/HDV support — for high-def cameras, you’ll need to purchase the more expensive Sony Vegas Platinum or Platinum Pro versions. Otherwise, this standard 'bare bones' edition offers nearly everything the entry-level user will need.
Despite being a stripped-down version of the full Sony Vegas product, Movie Studio 9 still contains plenty of tools and features for the asking price. Features making their debut in Version 9 include Make Movie/New Project wizard tools for streamlined video creation, a Cinescore Studio Plug-in for the creation of royalty-free music, an integrated YouTube upload tool for instant online publishing, and full-screen preview support for single monitors. In addition, all the modes and features from the previous version of Vegas Movie Studio are present and accounted for, making this one of the most versatile products in its price range.
With eight previous iterations of Vegas Movie Studio under its belt, Sony has had plenty of time to perfect its software interface, and it shows. Sticking to the standard tri-pane layout, everything is cleanly assembled and highly intuitive. Even those who have never used a video-editing program before will find themselves in good hands — there are more than 30 interactive tutorials to follow, covering everything from colour correction to DVD burning. (For the truly camera shy, a bonus training DVD is also included in the sales package).
Once your footage is captured, editing is a simple matter of selecting a clip and dragging it onto the editing timeline, where effects, titles and transitions can be applied with ease. More than 500 video effects and transitions are included, allowing you to make your movies as stylised or avant-garde as you like.
The audio options are also quite extensive, including support for Dolby 5.1 surround sound and audio restoration tools (for removing unwanted noise from footage). With the Cinescore Home Studio Soundtrack Pack, it’s also possible to create royalty-free soundtracks that perfectly fit the mood and length of your video. Naturally, some of the included themes suffer from ‘muzak’ syndrome (think elevator music), but all in all the included selection isn’t bad. You can also purchase additional themes from the Sony Vegas Web site.
For the first time, Vegas Movie Studio 9 lets you publish your work directly to YouTube. The interface automatically links to your YouTube account, allowing you to encode and upload videos in a few simple mouse clicks. If you’re a fan of online video sharing (or simply want to wet your toes in it), this feature is bound to come in handy.
Creating DVDs is equally achievable for the novice, thanks to the inclusion of DVD Architect Studio 4.5. This is a comprehensive DVD authoring program complete with slick menu templates that put many store-bought movies to shame. The package includes more than 40 different DVD themes, which should ensure the menu matches your footage (unless you’re making a snuff film).
In summary, Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 offers plenty of features and functionality for the first-time videographer, with an emphasis on ease-of-use. It’s the next best thing to owning a showbiz-savvy orang-utan.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Google's new AI aims to end abusive online comments using 'Perspective'
- Village Roadshow aims to block 40 pirate sites
- Analysts peer into Microsoft's rumored Windows 10 Cloud
- Google lets users get social with Maps
- Microsoft unveils a bonanza of security capabilities
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSecurity Solutions Architect - Consultancy - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTBid ManagerVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCCA ITCM / ITCA EngineerNSW
- FTSupport and Operations Team LeadNSW
- FTFull stack Developer - Senior (Java or C# and AngularJS) x 3QLD
- TPService Desk Analyst - Level 1VIC
- CCFirewall EngineerNSW
- FTJava Developer/IntegratorACT
- TPProject ManagerOther
- FTSenior Project Manager - PERMANENTACT
- CCPMO ManagerNSW
- TPGIS Developer - 6 month ContractQLD
- CCMarketing SpecialistNSW
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer -NetApp & TSMNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCProject SpecialistVIC
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- TP.Net DeveloperSA
- FTInfrastructure Business AnalystNSW
- TPMicrosoft Dynamics DeveloperNSW
- CCFront-End DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer with Strong SQL DevNSW
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW