Sony Vegas 6 + DVD
- Big increase in render speed, support for virtually every Sony DV product, even output to Sony PSP.
- Very processor hungry compared to previous versions.
Sony's flagship video editing application is even more powerful, with better performance and more hardware support than ever before.
Price$ 919.00 (AUD)
Before Sony bought Sonic Foundry and all its video and audio editing technology three years ago, Vegas Video had a small yet extremely loyal following, with many video editors appreciating the solid performance and complete multimedia focus of the program.
Sony has continued to develop Vegas as a high end video editing solution, adding several Sony specific touches such as a stronger focus on Dolby Digital AC-3 on the audio side and output support for hardware platforms such as Sony's PSP platform.
Vegas + DVD is a complete PC-based, multitrack video-editing software package combining a streamlined interface with powerful feature-set allowing users to quickly and easily create and edit video content and output the finished project to a number of media outlets including the web, DVD or even Sony PSP systems. The program also has some of the strongest audio production tools available in an off the shelf application.
Editors can work with video of different sizes, frame rates, and formats on the same track without conversion, and render to just about any resolution. Superimpose video on multiple layers and apply key-frameable transitions including Wipes, Dissolve and Crossfades. Rotate, resize, stretch, flip, or morph a video track and preview the effect in real time.
Despite big improvements in competing video editing applications, Vegas continues to impress in the way it allows the editor to view changes natively off the timeline, without conversion or rendering. The fact that Vegas was never an Apple application is a big plus for Windows users as the interface has a strong Windows flavour.
Vegas Video is dominated by a timeline area with user definable video and audio tracks. The bottom half of the interface provides you with a choice of workspaces. The Windows-like Explorer window is a good place to start, where you can quickly find video, audio and graphic assets on your hard drive. The video monitor window on the right of the screen allows you to quickly preview the various media assets at your disposal.
Tab selection allow you to switch through various workflows with the Clip Trimmer, Media Pool (a bin showing all the clips in the project) and a Transitions Palette placed neatly behind the Explorer window ready to be brought forward when needed. These windows also have the ability to float free, which makes the desktop completely customisable depending how you want to get the job done.
The Explorer window provides information about the media assets you are working on, with details of frame size, colour depth and frame rate for videos and sample rate, bit-depth, and mono/stereo channels for audio.Once you have worked your magic with your footage and are ready to create a DVD, the DVD Architect 3 application is ready to develop the appropriate DVD menus and integrate your video to make a movie DVD.
Through the use of Vegas 6, DVD Architect 3 and the supplied AC-3 encoding software, it is possible to create compelling 5.1 multi channel surround sound movies on a home PC.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 2 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 3 Parrot Mambo Drone review
- 4 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 5 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft fleshes out seismic change to Windows patching
- Where's the bottom for Microsoft's Internet Explorer?
- ICANN transition moves forward, despite last-minute attempt to block it
- PSA: Windows 10's Anniversary Update reactivates ads you've already disabled
- Analysts laud and lance new Microsoft browser armor
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- TV buying guide: What to look for when buying a TV in 2016
- Best iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus plans: Optus vs Telstra vs Vodafone vs Virgin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSoftware Developers | .Net 4.6 | Multiple RolesNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- CCSystem & Network EngineerVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCInfrastructure & Security Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTInformation Architect, DataNSW
- FTMobile Delivery Manager / Studio LeadNSW
- CCResident Engineer - Nexus 2K, 5K, 7K & 9KNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Oracle/Unix/WebLogic) 161020/SA/693Asia
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCAgile Business AnalystVIC
- CCPHP DeveloperNSW
- CCCloud Security Services SpecialistVIC
- FTSenior Architect | Perl | Linux |MySQL | Infrastructure | TelecomNSW
- CCServiceNow ConsultantNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (IT Security/Admin.) 161014/SA/253Asia
- CCSAP Release & Deployment ManagerNSW
- CCeCommerce Project ManagerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/J2EE/MyEclipse) 161007/AP/vmpAsia
- CCTechnical Business Analyst - Wealth/Super backgroundNSW
- CCApplication Support DeveloperVIC
- FTLevel 2 Service Desk AnalystVIC
- CCData ScientistVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (IT Security) 161018/AP/383Asia