Sony VAIO VGN-TX17GP
- Really small
An ultralight tablet PC that is a little weak on character recognition, and too high on price.
Price$ 3,799.00 (AUD)
Good things come in small packages. For instance, Sony's VGN-TX17GP, that weighs a mere 1.2kg (with battery) and has a footprint of 27.5x18.5x2.5cm.
Inside this tiny notebook is an Intel Pentium M Ultra Low Voltage processor running at 1.2GHz, along with 512MB of DDR2 RAM (upgradeable to 1.5GB) and an amazing four-millimetre thick 11.1in LCD screen. With a resolution of 1366x768, the screen shows amazing clarity. The fact that it is so thin does render it more vulnerable to torsion, which may affect its durability. However, we saw no adverse effects as a result of this during testing. The backlight is so powerful for this thin screen that there is a noticeable colour distortion along the bottom of the screen, but it is not of major concern.
The TX17GP posted 79 in PC WorldBench 5 and 3378 in 3DMark 2001SE: well below much larger laptops, but it will play FEAR at 27 frames per second (fps). The battery life was sufficient, scoring 157 minutes on Mobile Mark 2002.
The TX17GP includes two USB 2.0 ports, Ethernet, Memory Stick Pro, Secure Digital, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and iLink S400 FireWire.
Sony has even managed to include a DVD writer, making this an impressive, portable media unit. A note of caution: the drive is thin, and any really fast movement while the disc was spinning caused a grinding sound in our tests. The speakers sound great, the design is fantastic and this VAIO has plenty of power.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 2 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
- 3 Playing chicken with a Tesla Model S
- 4 Audi TT (2015) review: A smarter take on the sports coupe
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- HP refreshes notebook and desktop offerings ahead of Windows 10 launch
- Mozilla to focus on minimizing desertions to Edge with new Windows 10 Firefox
- Intel profit falls as PC slump continues
- Michael Dell: Dell will ship Windows 10 PCs on July 29
- LG's ultra-thin touchscreen panels will enable lighter, thinner notebooks
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCInternal Communications ExecutiveNSW
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTAccount Manager - PR AgencyNSW