Sony VAIO VGN-CR13G/W
- Stylish gloss-white design, built-in webcam, reasonable specifications, multimedia buttons
- Poor viewing angle of display, graphics card is not capable of supporting latest games
The VAIO VGN-CR13G is a reasonably solid, if unspectacular, notebook that features a lovely design and reasonable specifications. A decent choice if you are after an all-purpose machine.
Price$ 1,899.00 (AUD)
A stylish all-purpose notebook that is ideal for a number of uses, the Sony VAIO VGN-CR13GW is a solid, if not outstanding, machine that counts integrated AV buttons and a Motion Eye webcam among its features.
The VGN-CR13GW has a 14.1in screen with a 1280x800 resolution. Although the glossy display is bright and clear, its poor viewing angle means that a few people crowding around to watch a DVD movie will be disappointed. Further, the screen is glossy so if you're working in an office environment, fluorescent lights reflecting off the display can become annoying.
At the heart of this notebook is an Intel Core 2 Duo T1700 CPU running at 1.8GHz, 1GB of DDR2 RAM (upgradeable to 2GB) and a Serial ATA 100GB hard drive. There is also a built-in DVD burner; along with the dedicated media controls and a built-in webcam, its clear Sony is pushing this notebook as a home multimedia solution. Overall, these specifications aren't outstanding, but suit the target market of this notebook.
We encoded 53 minutes of WAV files to 192Kbps MP3 files to test the system's performance. The encoding time of 2min 33sec is fair, but not outstanding -- it's a decent score considering the specifications. The results conclude that the CR13GW is a fair solution for a number of basic uses, including browsing the Internet, e-mailing, editing Office documents and performing multimedia tasks.
The VAIO includes an ATI Mobility Radeon x2300 graphics card which produced a reasonable score of 7980 in our 3DMark2001 benchmark. It is fine to play some older games, but newer titles won't be able to run on this machine.
For connectivity, three USB 2.0 ports join an ExpressCard slot, one gigabit Ethernet port and a 56Kbps modem port, in addition to a FireWire 400 port. Built-in Wi-Fi 802.11b/g and Bluetooth 2.0 are also offered. Continuing the multimedia theme, a VGA port is available to output presentations to a larger screen or projector, while there is an S-Video-out port as well. A media card reader supporting MagicGate, MS/MS-Pro and SD cards rounds out the options.
Aesthetically, the VAIO is extremely stylish and our review unit's glossy white finish felt remarkably Apple-esque. The gloss white lid features a silver VAIO logo etched into the top and the relatively flat, silver keyboard is comfortable to use. The large touchpad felt responsive and the clear buttons blended well into the design of the unit.
We tested the battery life by looping a DVD until the notebook has no charge left. The DVD loop test is considered a worst-case scenario, as it utilises the optical drive and speakers, as well as the screen, CPU and other core components. The VAIO lasted 1hr 46min before the battery died, which is a little below average. Keep in mind though that all our tests were run using maximum performance battery profiles. Longer battery life can be achieved by selecting a number of other power profiles through the Windows Vista control panel.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Huawei Mate 9
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Everything we think we know about Samsung’s Galaxy Tab S3
- Lenovo's ThinkPad P71 will work with HTC, Oculus VR headsets
- Lenovo's Yoga A12 Android 2-in-1 has futuristic touch panel keyboard
- In PC comeback, ARM will battle Intel in Chromebooks and Windows 10
- Dell: Mainstream laptops with wireless charging are still years away
PCW Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPChange AnalystQLD
- CCFinance Analyst/ Project SpecialistVIC
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)ACT
- FTSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- CCMarketing SpecialistNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCERP Business Analyst (Time Capture/ Management) - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- TP.Net DeveloperSA
- TPSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTJava Developer - Fixed Term ContractQLD
- TPOrganisational Change Manager - ICT Services TransformationQLD
- TPBI & Report Developer (SQL Developer)QLD
- TPChange and Communications CoordinatorQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCWPF .NET EngineerNSW
- TPGIS Developer - 6 month ContractQLD
- CCGIS Developer - GeocortexWA
- FTMicrosoft ConsultantVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager - PERMANENTACT
- FTDynamics AX Functional ConsultantQLD
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Finance ConsultantWA
- FTSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCProject Manager - Adelaide basedNSW
- FTTechnical Support RepresentativeNSW
- TPTechnical ConsultantNSW