Sony VAIO E Series (VPCEJ15FG) notebook
A well-built, but basic Sony 17in notebook
- Reasonable price-tag
- Good build quality and design
- Keyboard should be larger
- A Full HD screen would have been nice
- Slightly bland styling may turn off some
Sony's VAIO E Series notebooks are intended for general purpose use, and the VPCEJ15FG fulfils that requirement happily. If you're trying to complete too many tasks at once the E Series does tend to pause for a few seconds, but we only encountered this a few times in our testing. For use in a small business or home office, or as a desktop replacement for a university or high school student (sans 3D gaming), the Sony VAIO E is a surprisingly affordable choice.
Price$ 1,199.00 (AUD)
The Sony VAIO E Series (VPCEJ15FG) is a 17.3in general-purpose notebook with mid-range specifications. It doesn’t do much to differentiate itself from its competitors, but this isn’t necessarily a bad thing.
Sony VAIO E Series (VPCEJ15FG) notebook: Design and connectivity
The Sony VAIO E Series that we tested was finished in satin black, with a matte black keyboard tray and screen bezel. Apart from looking slightly too bland and ThinkPad-esque matte elements, the notebook looks good — the satin black is patterned with ‘3D textured finish in which several small triangles construct one large hexagon, a noble design that will match any user scenario’ (Sony’s words, of course). You can buy the E Series in black, white, pink and dark blue. We thought the VAIO E Series should have a larger keyboard for a 17in model, although the trackpad is large enough and responsive enough for most users.
The VAIO E Series has four USB 2.0 ports (three on the right, one on the left), VGA, HDMI, Gigabit Ethernet, microphone and headphone jacks as well as separete MS Pro Duo and SD card slots. The optical drive is a DVD-RW unit, and the standard 4-cell battery is removable.
The 17.3in screen of the Sony VAIO E is glossy, but not extremely so. Its 1600x900pixel resolution means images are detailed and text looks smooth, although we would have preferred a Full HD panel.
Sony VAIO E Series (VPCEJ15FG) notebook: Performance and specifications
The Sony VAIO E Series (VPCEJ15FG) has a configuration that’s largely standard these days: A mid-range Core i5 processor (the i5-2520M), 4GB of DDR3 RAM, A 500GB 5400RPM hard drive, and a Geforce 410M graphics card. You can install up to 8GB of RAM or a 1TB hard drive (or solid state drive, if you’ve got the bucks), but no other component is user serviceable.
The fastest result we attained for our tests in the 3D rendering program Blender was 39sec — a good result for a mid-range Core i5 laptop like the VAIO E Series. Being a dual-core processor with Hyper-Threading the VAIO E’s Core i5-2520M can theoretically handle four separate, active tasks simultaneously — think watching a movie, browsing a Web page, installing a program and loading an Excel spreadsheet.
Converting 53min of music from MP3 to AAC in iTunes took 1min 44sec, and 3DMark 06 returned a result of 4660.These figures represent fair-to-good performance from the Sony VAIO E Series (VPCEJ15FG), and are roughly in line with other notebooks at this $1000-$1500 price point.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 2 LED Lenser P7R Professional Torch review
- 3 Aftershokz Wireless Trekz Titanium Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headphones review
- 4 Review: Periscope users rejoice with Feiyu’s G4 Plus 3-Axis Gimbal for Smartphone video
- 5 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's UHD Monitor covers 99.5 per cent of Adobe colour spectrum
- HP settles cases with inkjet cartridge vendors
- Study predicts PS3 will win the console war
- Samsung wave makes a splash at Mobile World Congress
- Sony finally back in the black (but not thanks to PlayStation)
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCContract Systems Analyst (IT Security) 160928/JP/653Asia
- CCInformatica Developer (MDM)NSW
- FTEMC Storage ConsultantWA
- CCDesktop Infrastructure SpecialistACT
- CCBusiness Analyst - Telecom ProjectNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCIT Security ArchitectACT
- FTCustomer Solutions Engineer | Voice | Data | TelcoNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager - DCR ProjectNSW
- CCSenior Infrastrcture Project ManagerACT
- FTCarrier/ Industrial Network ConsultantsWA
- FTDesktop/Application SupportVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst -Change and SAP ProcurementNSW
- CCService Desk analystSA
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- FTTechnical Business Analyst | Marketing ServicesNSW
- CCFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- FTInfrastructure Solutions ArchitectACT
- FTTest SpecialistSA
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- FTTechnical Support Engineer | Cloud | Automation techsNSW
- CCICT Security AuditorACT
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW