Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio 8.0
- Good range of options.
- Not easy to learn without tutorials.
Thank heavens for the tutorial system, as Audio Studio is a tough program to get into, especially if you’re one of the comparative novices at which it’s aimed. But persevere and you’ll see that this program has a strong feature set for the money.
Price$ 169.00 (AUD)
Aimed at those who would like to edit the audio tracks of home movies, or polish demos of bands without a major-label budget, Sony has put together Audio Studio, a cut-down version of its more extensive Sony Sound Forge 8.0 program.
Audio Studio incorporates a tutorial system to guide you through the intimidating array of features. In essence, the software allows you to import audio, edit it and then export it to a variety of formats. The options at each stage, however, are considerable.
If you're feeling spontaneous, you can plug a microphone or instrument directly into your PC and create audio right away. Alternatively, you can open an existing file, create simple synthesised tunes, download material from a pay site or rip from a CD -- but you must consider copyright restrictions.
Working from a CD is probably the hardest way to approach things, because the complexity of multilayered recordings makes it tricky to follow the shape of the music, as is apparent in the screenshot above.
Once you have the audio displayed in the window as a waveform, you can chop it up and reassemble the pieces to your heart's content. Or add effects, from wah-wah to distortion, and synchronise with video. These can be tricky at first, but you should find the system reasonably intuitive after a while.
Finishing options include exporting to MP3, WMA, QuickTime or RealMedia formats, creating a podcast or burning a CD using the built-in facilities.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Mozilla Firefox update fixes several vulnerabilities
- Windows Phone can now work on smartphones with Intel x86 chips
- iOS 9.2.1 and OS X 10.11.3 are now available
- New field test lets you install Android apps directly from Google search
- Survey says: Almost a third of US consumers on Windows 10
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCSenior Android DeveloperNSW
- FTNetwork Systems LeadVIC
- CCApplication Support AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Oracle DBANSW
- CCEnterprise Systems Infrastructure SpecialistNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - ComplianceVIC
- FTProject Support OfficerWA
- CCOracle Project OfficerSA
- CCEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - QlikviewVIC
- CCBilling Assistant / AdministrationACT
- CCProject SchedulerVIC
- FTNetwork Engineer | NV2 clearance | Defence projects | Immediate interviewACT
- FTPrograme ManagerNSW
- CCContract System Analyst (Linux/Security/LAN) 160211/SSA/521Asia
- CCSharePoint Web DeveloperACT
- CCProject Manager, Network, FinanceNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle/UNIX) 160203/AP/381Asia
- FTSenior Performance Test AnalystNSW
- CCRisk AnalystVIC
- FTWintel EngineerNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant - ApplicationsSA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer(Crystal Report/Oracle)160127/AP/vhsAsia
- FTInternal Audit ConsultantACT