The first Patapon was an infectiously addictive title that perfectly combined rhythm and strategy gaming
- Amazing visuals, tons of content, same great Patapon gameplay
- Somewhat limited multiplayer modes, the game definitely needs more songs!
There's no doubt that Patapon 2 is as graphically stylish and addictive as the first game. It retains the core gameplay that you love while adding a ton of new features and concepts. Get it and you'll soon find yourself humming the various Pon songs as you go about your daily business. Just know you're not the only one.
Price$ 49.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
The first Patapon was an infectiously addictive title that perfectly combined rhythm and strategy gaming into one sweet package. Now, the sequel is here and it has me chanting with joy all over again. With more content and gameplay, it's a must-have title for PSP owners.
A Fever You Can't Sweat
The first Patapon concluded with the lovable Pons sailing away into distance, victorious and free. The sequel finds the Pons shipwrecked on a strange new land after a heated battle with a sea creature; unfortunately for our plucky little heroes, this land is also inhabited by the masked beings known as the Karmen. You take on the role of the Pon leader who must deal with the antagonistic villains while figuring out a way to resume your journey towards Earthend.
If you loved the original then get ready because Patapon 2 offers a whopping 80 missions as well as an array of mini-games. The main mode retains the feel of the original, with you marching your Pons across the playing field using various drum beats. Each action, whether it's advancing your troops or attacking an enemy, has a different pattern that you have to beat out on your drums. The mini-games, which are incredibly fun and cute, are a welcome diversion but they also reward you with supplies and upgrades that will help you progress through main levels.
Patapon 2 also features the new Evolution Map which allows you to take an average Pon and upgrade him to be even more effective on the battlefield. You can evolve your Pons to be resistant to cold weather or grow them into extra large brutes. Special "memories" are also available to unlock advanced Pons such as the horse riding Kibapon and the freakishly large armed Robopons. The advanced Patapons get their own slot in the Legendary Memory menu and can be upgraded from there. Your Hero Pon can also be evolved into any type of Patapon including unlocked advanced Pons by switching out masks via the battle preparation menu.
There are also three multiplayer modes included as well. The first mode tasks you with escorting an egg to safety in a race against the clock and your fellow competitors. The second mode is similar except instead of escorting eggs you must seek them out. Lastly, we have the third mode which focuses solely on a rhythm production in order to woo the magical egg into opening.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 2 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 3 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 4 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 5 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Cortana coming to the Xbox One in 2016
- EA delays Need for Speed's PC edition to deliver more speed
- This week in PC gaming: Cliff Bleszinski’s LawBreakers defies gravity, XCOM 2 defies release
- Pac-Man Championship Edition DX evolves the classic formula—and puts it into overdrive
- Assassin's Creed Syndicate hands-on: Top-hats, bobbies, and a bit o' ultraviolence
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW