The first Patapon was an infectiously addictive title that perfectly combined rhythm and strategy gaming
- Amazing visuals, tons of content, same great Patapon gameplay
- Somewhat limited multiplayer modes, the game definitely needs more songs!
There's no doubt that Patapon 2 is as graphically stylish and addictive as the first game. It retains the core gameplay that you love while adding a ton of new features and concepts. Get it and you'll soon find yourself humming the various Pon songs as you go about your daily business. Just know you're not the only one.
Price$ 49.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
The first Patapon was an infectiously addictive title that perfectly combined rhythm and strategy gaming into one sweet package. Now, the sequel is here and it has me chanting with joy all over again. With more content and gameplay, it's a must-have title for PSP owners.
A Fever You Can't Sweat
The first Patapon concluded with the lovable Pons sailing away into distance, victorious and free. The sequel finds the Pons shipwrecked on a strange new land after a heated battle with a sea creature; unfortunately for our plucky little heroes, this land is also inhabited by the masked beings known as the Karmen. You take on the role of the Pon leader who must deal with the antagonistic villains while figuring out a way to resume your journey towards Earthend.
If you loved the original then get ready because Patapon 2 offers a whopping 80 missions as well as an array of mini-games. The main mode retains the feel of the original, with you marching your Pons across the playing field using various drum beats. Each action, whether it's advancing your troops or attacking an enemy, has a different pattern that you have to beat out on your drums. The mini-games, which are incredibly fun and cute, are a welcome diversion but they also reward you with supplies and upgrades that will help you progress through main levels.
Patapon 2 also features the new Evolution Map which allows you to take an average Pon and upgrade him to be even more effective on the battlefield. You can evolve your Pons to be resistant to cold weather or grow them into extra large brutes. Special "memories" are also available to unlock advanced Pons such as the horse riding Kibapon and the freakishly large armed Robopons. The advanced Patapons get their own slot in the Legendary Memory menu and can be upgraded from there. Your Hero Pon can also be evolved into any type of Patapon including unlocked advanced Pons by switching out masks via the battle preparation menu.
There are also three multiplayer modes included as well. The first mode tasks you with escorting an egg to safety in a race against the clock and your fellow competitors. The second mode is similar except instead of escorting eggs you must seek them out. Lastly, we have the third mode which focuses solely on a rhythm production in order to woo the magical egg into opening.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 2 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 3 Parrot Mambo Drone review
- 4 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 5 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Windows 10 Creators Update adds easy-peasy PC game streaming over Xbox Live
- This week in games: Diablo 4 whispers, Civilization VI launch
- The Nintendo Switch is a radical mash-up of consoles and gaming handhelds
- Tobii's new eye tracker adds head tracking with an emphasis on PC games
- Halo Wars 2 hands-on preview: Blitz mode's thrilling twists could trigger an RTS revival
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- TV buying guide: What to look for when buying a TV in 2016
- Best iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus plans: Optus vs Telstra vs Vodafone vs Virgin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectACT
- TPBusiness Process AnalystNSW
- TPiOS Developer | Tech Start-UpNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- TPAndroid Developer | Tech Start-UpNSW
- FTProduct ManagerVIC
- CCDigital Marketing StrategistVIC
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Finance ConsultantACT
- CCSitecore DeveloperNSW
- CCStrategy AnalystVIC
- TPProgram Control ManagerSA
- CCProject SchedulerWA
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Finance ConsultantWA
- CCBusiness Intelligence - DeveloperACT
- CCPHP DeveloperNSW
- FTCommercial Contracts Manager - DefenceSA
- FTExcel SpecialistNSW
- CCTest Engineer - BankingQLD
- FTFrontend Developer/DesignerNSW
- CCSAP GRC ConsultantACT
- FTSenior Consultant Commercial PricingVIC
- CCSenior Frontend Developer (Angular or React or Ember)NSW
- CCSAP HANNA ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Consultant, Enterpreneur in ResidenceVIC
- CCContract IT Assistant (UNIX/Windows) 161028/ITA/003Asia