- Portability; plays DivX and MP3; very good DVD playback
- Poor internal speaker, smallish screen, no battery
An integrated LCD screen and DVD player, the Sony DVD Station is a cool little appliance, ready for you to watch movies when you're on the road.
Price$ 799.00 (AUD)
Sony DVD Station is a cool fusion product, a combination LCD TV screen, DVD player, FM radio tuner and CD music player, all packaged in a portable box roughly the size of a PlayStation. It also comes with a carry bag, ready for portage.
A 16:9, 6.5" screen--about the size of one you'd find in an airplane--folds up out of the base of the DVD station, and can also be used flat if you want to mount the DVD Station to the back of a car seat, for instance. The screen is a little on the grainy side, but still not bad. It's certainly bright enough. Underneath the part of the box the screen flips up out of there is a DVD drive with pop-up top. You can put a music CD, DVD movie, MP3 CD or DivX CD or DVD in here. At the rear of the box you find the speakers and stereo RCA input/output and headphone ports, and at the side a port for the FM antenna cable.
What the DVD Station doesn't have is a battery--although it's portable, you still have to plug it in somewhere. It comes with a car cigarette lighter adapter as well as mains power lead. It also lacks a TV tuner, so you can't watch television on it unless you plug something that does have a TV tuner (like a VCR) into the RCA input ports (in this case the LCD screen becomes your TV screen). In addition, if you want to plug the DVD Station into a larger TV screen rather than use the integral screen, you can, using the composite output cables.
We'd recommend using headphones with the DVD Station in any case--the rear speaker is decidedly tinny sounding, producing audio that has the kind of bass and timbre that you'd expect from your average clock radio.
One particularly neat feature is the support for DivX video (and XviD, it turns out). If you want to rip your DVDs to DivX, or play downloaded clips on the DVD Station, you can. We tested a set of XviD movies burnt onto a DVD-R and it worked perfectly. MP3s burnt to CD worked equally well.
Watching movies on the small integrated LCD screen was very reminiscent of watching in-flight movies on the back of the seat in front of you. It's not the most compelling experience, but at least with the DVD Station you have a choice of what's showing. You can also listen to FM radio if you so choose. Plugged into a TV set, it works perfectly well as a DVD player, although the compact remote may not be much to your liking.
Given it includes a screen and DivX-supporting DVD player, the current asking price for the DVD station is not unreasonable, and it's got real wow factor.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Surface Pro 4
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - Wealth AdviceNSW
- CCProject Scheduler-Port MacquarieQLD
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectVIC
- FTMonitoring Tools Support l NimSoft , SMARTS, ehealth, TivoliNSW
- CCDevOps/Senior Sys Admin - eCommerce - Contract - Sydney Northern BeachesNSW
- TPTechnical Support Resource-Skype for BusinessVIC
- TPProduct Owner - Cloud SolutionsQLD
- TPProject Manager to manage two concurrent ProjectsQLD
- FTSenior Support Account ManagerNSW
- TPInformation Management SpecialistVIC
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)NSW
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer -NetApp & TSMNSW
- CCLevel 2 IT Service DeskQLD
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)VIC
- TPSenior IT Business AnalystNSW
- CCData Engineer (SQL/Big Data/Scala)VIC
- FTSystem EngineerVIC
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Finance ConsultantWA
- FTAnalyst Programmer (Natural/Adabas)SA
- FTSenior Java Developers (Several positions available)QLD
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- TPIT Project CoordinatorVIC
- TPOrganisational Change Manager - ICT Services TransformationQLD