Sony Mini MUTEKI iPod Dock Hi-Fi System
A mini hi-fi boombox with plenty of power and flashing lights
- Decent quality audio, reasonable price
- Outdated design, audio can sound muffled with bass boost enabled
The Sony Mini MUTEKI iPod Dock Hi-Fi System is a little retro, but it delivers the good audio quality for outdoor party music. There are more attractive and better performing boomboxes on the market, but the Mini MUTEKI might appeal to some punters.
Price$ 349.00 (AUD)
The Sony Mini MUTEKI iPod Dock Hi-Fi System is a mini hi-fi that looks just like the boombox you owned a couple of decades ago — it seems like Sony has simply re-released a classic design with a few updates. The Sony Mini MUTEKI iPod Dock Hi-Fi System looks more than a little dated in some ways, but it has good audio quality and a number of welcome features.
An Apple iPod dock sits on the top of the device, as well as a USB input and auxiliary audio input — so you're able to use any audio device including Sony's own MP3 players. Although the Mini MUTEKI is large — measuring 600x385x395mm — it is lightweight, which makes it easy to transport. It has two carry handles on the front which make it easier to carry.
One throwback to the disco era is the Sony Mini MUTEKI iPod Dock Hi-Fi System's inbuilt red and blue LED lights. They flash in sync with whatever music is being played. It is a fun effect, but gets tiresome after a while. Thankfully it can be turned off if you tire of it.
An equaliser with a healthy range of music genre options helps to improve audio quality to match your music. We found the settings appropriately matched the genres, with rock music sounding best on the Rock preset and classical music benefiting from Classical. Radio listeners will be pleased with the inclusion of an AM/FM tuner with 20 FM presets and 10 presets for AM.
The Sony Mini MUTEKI iPod Dock Hi-Fi System's audio performance is good, but not outstanding. We'd say it's less impressive than the Altec Lansing Mix iMT800 boombox, but it can definitely handle the needs of a house party or outdoor barbecue.
Bass tones can easily be boosted at the touch of a button, providing an extra kick to music at the cost of some clarity. The 220W output power of the MUTEK means it is able to provide impressively loud volume levels. We only noticed a small amount of bass distortion at higher volumes, but treble and mid-tones sounded muffled. It all depends on what music you're listening to and how the equaliser complements your tunes.
The Sony Mini MUTEKI iPod Dock Hi-Fi System is a decent boombox, although it looks a bit retro for our liking and it's too large to have sitting on your desk. For outdoor use or in a large space it is well suited.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook: Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's UHD Monitor covers 99.5 per cent of Adobe colour spectrum
- HP settles cases with inkjet cartridge vendors
- Study predicts PS3 will win the console war
- Samsung wave makes a splash at Mobile World Congress
- Sony finally back in the black (but not thanks to PlayStation)
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCDevOps Software Configuration ManagerACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (IT Application/.Net) 160523/AP/254Asia
- CCAccess Control Administration / Help desk OperatorACT
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Major exciting White Paper projectsACT
- CCLinux AdministratorVIC
- FTLinux Infrastructure EngineerVIC
- CCiOS Developer x 2NSW
- CCRelease Manager, InfrastructureNSW
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Technical LeadACT
- CCSr. Windows Server Administrator- Financial Institution BckgNSW
- CCData Feeds Developer | Financial Services | C# & SQLNSW
- CCIteration Manager/Agile Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Business Analysts - Payments or Disaster RecoveryVIC
- FTBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTSystems EngineerACT
- CCSnr Technical System Engineer (IBM/Oracle/SQL) 160524/STSE/vmtAsia
- CCSystems Engineer - Wintel, VMWare and CitrixNSW
- FTAzure ConsultantQLD
- FTCloud ArchitectAsia
- CCDomain Specialist | Multiple RolesVIC
- CCMobility SpcialistACT
- CCDeemed Order Business SpecialistVIC
- CCOracle DBA | 3-6mth ContractVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160526/AP/506Asia
- FTSenior Developer (Full stack)SA