Sony Media Manager for PSP
- Handles a wide range of file formats, Clean and easy to use interface
- No Mac support, Doesn't support protected audio formats
A simple, easy to use and very convenient piece of software.
Price$ 34.95 (AUD)
Sony's Media Manager for PSP has been designed to easily transfer and convert music, movies, photos and documents from your PC to your PSP. Using a clean drag and drop interface with automatic file conversion, this is ideal for users who use their PSP as a true multimedia device.
Media Manager for PSP only works with Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later, so Mac users are out of luck. The software also requires .NET Framework SP1 and QuickTime 7; the latter required if users want to encode AVC videos or playback MP4 files. Both are included on the installation disk.
The software uses an intuitive dual-window interface with PC folders and files in the top window and PSP folders and files in the bottom window. The interface is in a tab style, so switching between different media is simple. Users can also preview any media using the software before they decide to transfer it.
The best feature of this software is the automatic file conversion. Media Manager automatically converts the files to playback on the PSP when they are transferring, so there is less to do for the user. Speed is average, with the software taking just under 10 seconds to encode a standard 200k document during testing. For videos, a 5MB file took us approximately one minute to encode.
For images, Media Manager handles multiple file formats including JPG, JPEG, JPE, JFIF, PNG, GIF, BMP, DIB, TIFF and TIF. The software converts image files to the JPG format so they are viewable on the PSP. Converting the files produces smaller JPG files on the PSP's memory stick.
The PSP only supports MP3, MP4 and Sony's Atrac files for music, but Media Manager can convert MP3, WMA, WAV, PCA, OGG, M1A, MPA, M4A, M4B, AAC and MP4 audio files. Unfortunately, Media Manager doesn't support any protected audio formats, so you can't convert songs purchased from iTunes or other DRM tagged outlets.
For video, Media Manager converts most file formats including MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV, QT, DV, MPG, MPEG, MPEG1, MPEG2, 3GP and M4V. The software offers two quality settings; low AVC and high AVC. We had no troubles converting any files. One minute of video will take approximately 3.5MB when using the low AVC setting, while 6.6MB will be required when using the high AVC setting. As an example, you can fit four hours and 33 minutes of video on a 1GB memory stick using the low AVC format.
In addition to these features, Media Manager also allows you to convert songs that you have on CD and handle podcasts. For the former, the software will query the gracenote CD Database, ensuring that song and artist names will be transferred to the PSP if they are available. Media Manager allows you to subscribe to your favourites podcasts thanks to a built in directory. Further, you can also add your own podcast feeds manually.
Finally, the last tab in Media Manager allows users to back-up saved games from the PSP to your PC. This can be done manually, or automatically completed each time the PSP is connected. Media Manager also allows users to transfer game saves between memory sticks.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Surface Pro 4
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Village Roadshow aims to block 40 pirate sites
- Analysts peer into Microsoft's rumored Windows 10 Cloud
- Google lets users get social with Maps
- Microsoft unveils a bonanza of security capabilities
- Here's how Evernote moved 3 petabytes of data to Google's cloud
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)ACT
- CCBusiness/Process AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Mobile Application DeveloperNSW
- TPIT Project Manager - Office relocationVIC
- FTLife/400 Resource - PermanentNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer with Strong SQL DevNSW
- CCLevel 2 IT Service Desk OfficerQLD
- CCDemand/ Resource AnalystVIC
- CCSAP/ Nakisa Implementation ConsultantQLD
- TPSenior Java Developer / DevOps - ContractQLD
- TPSCCM SpecialistVIC
- FTTechnical Consultant - SQL Server programming skillsACT
- FTSnr SOC Security Coordinator - Perm - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTSenior Database AdministratorVIC
- CCCA ITCM / ITCA Engineer with some hands-on knowledge of scripting.NSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectWA
- CCApplication Solution Designer (Automation) - Finance - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCMDM Consultant/DesignerVIC
- CCSQL Database Administrator (DBA)NSW
- FTFront End Web DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Project Manager x 2QLD
- CCUI UX AnalystWA
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- TPService Desk Analyst - Level 1VIC
- TPLead Change Manager - ERPVIC