- Great sound quality, low background noise
- Extension cord too long, headphone cord too short, expensive
The MDREX81SL is a worthy buy for anyone who listens to music on the go. White and silver in colour, this headphone set would particularly be a good accessory for iPod owners.
Price$ 119.00 (AUD)
The Sony MDREX81SL in-ear headphones are an excellent alternative to the poor-quality earbuds that are included with most current MP3 players on the market.
The MDREX81SL uses a small rubber cap inserted over each headphone which sits deep inside your ear. The result is clean, crisp sound with virtually no outside noise--but first-time users be warned: they take a long time to get used to. Sony has packaged three rubber caps with the headphones (small, medium and large) to ensure that they fit all sizes of ears.
The EX81SL headphones use over-the-ear plastic clips to ensure the headphones do not fall out of your ears when you move quickly. We didn't particularly like this feature, but those using the phones while exercising or doing some other form of physical activity will be impressed as the headphones did not fall out once--even when we tugged at the cord. Unfortunately, those who wear glasses while listening to their music will be disappointed--it is quite frustrating to secure the clip when having to deal with the frame of your glasses.
In terms of sound quality, the MDREX81SL headphones are very impressive. There is a good amount of bass, even at lower volume levels. Because the in-ear headphones cancel out background noise, we found ourselves listening to our favourite tunes on a lower volume setting than normal.
The only problem we had with the headphones was the cords. Basically, the extension cord is a little long and becomes easily tangled, and the cord for the headphones is far too short to be used on its own. The cords are very easily tangled around the over-the-ear clips and you're well advised to use the plastic holder which is included in the package. A handy carry case is also included with the headphones, but we would have liked a wind-up case for easier cord management.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's UHD Monitor covers 99.5 per cent of Adobe colour spectrum
- HP settles cases with inkjet cartridge vendors
- Study predicts PS3 will win the console war
- Samsung wave makes a splash at Mobile World Congress
- Sony finally back in the black (but not thanks to PlayStation)
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSolutions Architect - Data Centre/ NetworkSA
- FTTechnical Services EngineerNSW
- TPBI Data AnalystQLD
- FTNetIQ Development & SupportNSW
- CCBusiness Intelligence (BI) Technical Team LeaderACT
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCDigital Business Analyst l SalesforceNSW
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- TPSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTDevOps EngineerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst Finance & Lending - Brisbane Based RoleNSW
- CCInfrastructure Business AnalystNSW
- TPMobile Application DeveloperWA
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- CCSAP Test Manager - CRMNSW
- FTSnr SOC Security Coordinator - Perm - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTSalesforce Technical Business AnalystQLD
- FTMicrosoft Systems EngineerVIC
- FTTechnical Consultant/Systems AnalystQLD
- FTLevel 2 Help Desk SupportQLD
- TPProgram ManagerNSW
- TPPL/SQL DeveloperNSW
- CCProgram Support OfficerNSW
- FTSenior Technical Consultant - SQLACT