Sony KLV-MR32 Wega
- Awesome image quality, classy design
- Short warranty, expensive
Sleek design, a top-notch image, and well-constructed menu system makes the Sony WEGA KLV-MR32 a killer LCD TV, but it's let down by a short warranty.
Price$ 7,999.00 (AUD)
Sony's WEGA Theatre series oozes class. The KLV-MR32 32" Wide Designer LCD features a floating glass design, where the silver screen is bordered by a perspex strip that supports a pair of 10W speakers. The attention to detail is top-notch; around the screen itself there are even small cutouts in the perspex border that pick up light from LEDs in the screen. These cutouts light up when the screen is in operation, but there are no cables or LEDs visible. This is very impressive, and it looks a treat. The screen runs in a 16:9 widescreen ratio, at a native resolution of 1280 x 768. The screen is 1080i compatible, but content at this resolution is scaled down to fit.
Unusually, Sony has opted to rely on a receiver unit to get the signal to the TV. The TV itself only features a DVI input, a control input (for interfacing with a receiver) and a power connector. The review model shipped with a MBT-MR2 digital receiver that included a massive range of inputs and outputs (including component, S-Video, composite, a sub-woofer input, and a Memory Stick slot for viewing photos). The receiver also includes an analog PAL tuner.
Setting up the TV was a dream. The menu is well designed and easy to navigate, and tuning was lightning-fast. The remote control fits the hand comfortably and is as well laid-out as the on-screen menu. In use, the screen offers a 170-degree viewing angle, and is clear and bright from just about anywhere in a lounge room. The displayed image is first class, and we didn't need to make many adjustments to fine-tune the picture.
The LCD panel is rated to 60,000 hours life, but the entire unit is let down by a short one-year warranty. At 105 x 64 x 23cm and a dry weight of 27kg, the 32" Sony screen is a whopper and it'll make a big splash in just about any lounge room or meeting place (a wall mount is also available if space is tight). Unfortunately, at $7999 it'll make a big hole in your bank balance.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Android TV's universal search feature finally works with Netflix
- Vizio’s latest 4K TVs make eye-popping HDR more affordable
- Netflix flips the switch on eye-popping HDR video streaming
- Sony’s pricey Ultra video-streaming service goes live today, but you'll need a new high-end 4K Sony TV to use it
- Foxconn to pay over $US6bn for a majority stake in Sharp
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCBiztalk developerNSW
- FTAutomation Test Engineer | C#/.Net focusNSW
- CCOffice 365 Project ManagerNSW
- CCService Desk AnaystNSW
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerVIC
- CCICT PreSales SpecialistVIC
- CCContract System Analyst (Renewable Contract)Asia
- CCITSM ConsultantNSW
- CCSecurity Engineer - SUMO focusNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160621/P/866Asia
- FT.Net Developer (WebAPI / Entity Framework / SQL Server)NSW
- CC.net DeveloperACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/Oracle) 160603/AP/vmpAsia
- CCSenior IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160630/SITA/642Asia
- FTMobility Developer x 2 - iOS and Android positions available!NSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer (J2EE/ SQL*PLUS/PL/SQL/PRO*C) 160617/AP/983Asia
- CCBusiness Analyst, InsuranceNSW
- CCSystems Trainer - Networking/ RadioVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCArchitect (AWS)NSW
- FTSAP Solution Architect- Data Migration to SAP HR, payrollNSW
- CCMobility Developer (iOS or Android)NSW
- FTEnvironments Lead (Linux/ Automation)VIC
- FTTechnical Services ManagerACT
- CCLevel 1 & 2 Helpdesk (Need SAP, ERP system experience)NSW