Sony BRAVIA KDL-55NX720 LED TV (preview)
The Sony BRAVIA NX720 has all Sony's top Web features like streaming TV channels and video on demand
- It's a cheaper alternative to the BRAVIA HX series if the picture quality proves to be similar
- It's 'only' Motionflow XR 200
The Sony BRAVIA NX720 looks attractive and has the same connectivity features of the BRAVIA HX models, but has seemingly inferior display specifications. If you can't tell the difference between the picture quality of these panels, choosing the NX720 seems to be the smart choice so far.
The Sony BRAVIA NX720, which is available in 40in, 46in and 55in sizes, looks like it will be able to do everything that Sony's best TVs (the BRAVIA HX820 and BRAVIA HX925) will be able to do when it comes to Internet connectivity and streaming video. The trade-offs come in picture quality and fast motion handling, with the BRAVIA NX720 looking very similar to last year's NX710 and NX800.
All the Sony Internet TV and BRAVIA Internet Video bells and whistles that you'll find on the best Sony TVs for 2011 are also available on the BRAVIA NX720. 24 linear streaming TV channels and a comprehensive video-on-demand service should keep the most discerning viewer satisfied once they've run out of free-to-air digital TV and Blu-ray video.
The 55in and 46in models of the BRAVIA NX720 look like they will have a slight advantage over last year's NX710 in picture quality, thanks to the use of a dynamic LED edge-light which will allow the screen to dim depending on the content shown, extending contrast. The 40in model won't have this ability, though. Apart from this, the main difference from last year's TVs is the X-Reality Picture video processor, which should mean the new NX720 is a little more competent in displaying detail and up-scaling lower-than-Full HD video.
The 40in KDL-40NX720 will be in stores in April 2011. Both the other EX720 TVs — that's the 46in KDL-46NX720 and the 55in KDL-55NX720 — will be available in May 2011.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Surface Pro 4
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung unveils Bixby voice assistant for upcoming Galaxy S8
- Sony's virtual reality suit is why people go to SXSW
- Samsung's UHD Monitor covers 99.5 per cent of Adobe colour spectrum
- HP settles cases with inkjet cartridge vendors
- Study predicts PS3 will win the console war
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- TPSenior Project CoordinatorVIC
- CCJava DeveloperVIC
- FTProduct Manager / Business Analyst Clinical Solutions (Lorenzo)QLD
- FTOracle DeveloperACT
- FTJunior Applications SupportNSW
- FTAEM Architect - Blue Chip companyNSW
- CCSenior Developer - Oracle - TelcoVIC
- CCService Desk AnalystNSW
- FTSenior C# DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior/Lead AEM DeveloperQLD
- FTOracle Forms PL/SQL Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- TPWintel EngineerVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst - Infrastructure ProjectQLD
- FTKey Account ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Full Stack Software Engineer, C#, Financial ServicesNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - SalesforceNSW
- FTDatabase Administrator - OracleQLD
- FTDatabase Modelling SpecialistACT
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- TPNetwork AdministratorWA
- TPMedia AssistantNSW
- FTIT Security Team LeadNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystACT