Sony BRAVIA KDL-46EX520 LED TV (preview)
Sony's top non-3D TV uses an edge-lit LED panel and can stream video from the Internet
- It's got all the streaming Internet features of the best Sony TVs
- No 3D, no dynamic LED backlighting, Wi-Fi is optional
We think the Sony BRAVIA EX520 will be a popular cheap LED TV. It doesn't have any superfluous 3D features or built-in Wi-Fi, so for anyone just looking for a simple Sony TV it'll hopefully be a good choice. We are impressed by the inclusion of Sony Internet TV and BRAVIA Internet Video.
The Sony BRAVIA EX520 replaces the BRAVIA EX500 series that was released in early 2010. It's got all the same features and will likely have similar picture quality — it's an edge-lit LED TV using similar technology to last year's model. It doesn't have any motion smoothing (Sony calls this Motionflow), but it still has a Full HD 1080p panel.
The Sony BRAVIA EX520 will have the same Sony Internet TV and BRAVIA Internet Video features as the BRAVIA HX820 and BRAVIA HX925 — Sony's most expensive and best BRAVIA TVs for this year. If you want to connect wirelessly, you will need to purchase a Sony-branded Wi-Fi dongle.
Sony touts an 'energy-saving Presence Sensor' among the BRAVIA EX520's list of features, so we're guessing low power consumption will be a hallmark of this model in the same way it was for the Sony BRAVIA WE5 in 2009.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Android TV's universal search feature finally works with Netflix
- Vizio’s latest 4K TVs make eye-popping HDR more affordable
- Netflix flips the switch on eye-popping HDR video streaming
- Sony’s pricey Ultra video-streaming service goes live today, but you'll need a new high-end 4K Sony TV to use it
- Foxconn to pay over $US6bn for a majority stake in Sharp
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FT.Net Developer (WebAPI / Entity Framework / SQL Server)NSW
- CCBusiness Analyst- Process Mapping Specialist- Gov / Bank backgdNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle) 160704/AP/601Asia
- FTData Center Operator (1-Year Renewal Contract)Asia
- FTUX DesignerVIC
- CCSystems Engineer / Applications Scripting DeveloperSA
- FTSystems EngineerNSW
- FTService Delivery Coordinator - ApplicationsNSW
- FTContinuous delivery application deployment automation specialist (DevOps)NSW
- CCLinux Systems AdministratorQLD
- CCUser Experience AnalystACT
- FTTechnical COE SpecialistACT
- CCMaster Scheduler - IT Infrastructure ProgramsNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/JAVA/SQL) 160621/AP/082Asia
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160621/P/866Asia
- CCAgile Product Manager/ UX, Web, Digital Project ManagerNSW
- FTOracle Fusion Implementation ConsultantNSW
- CCServiceNow DeveloperVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst - Toolset ReadinessNSW
- CCProject Manager - IT SecurityNSW
- CCProgram Controls ManagerACT
- CCRelease & Configuration Manager | Defence intelligence application | NV1 clearedACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160616/AP/185Asia
- FTMid-Level .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst, InsuranceNSW