- Handles a wide variety of scenes respectably, 1080i delivers sharp and clear images
- Some problems with colour reproduction, limited optical zoom
If you're looking for a high definition DVD camcorder, and don't mind having to occasionally work around colour reproduction issues, then the HDR-UX7 is a solid choice.
Price$ 2,099.00 (AUD)
Sony's HDR-UX7 is one of the latest camcorders featuring the AVCHD standard, which allows 1080i HD recordings to be made to DVDs. With the standard extensive array of Sony camcorder features, respectable image quality, and an easy to use interface, there's nothing too remarkable about this camcorder. Colour reproduction was a little inaccurate in our tests, but otherwise the UX7 performs well, without any major flaws, and is a solid option for users who want a HD capable DVD camcorder.
Image quality isn't the best we've seen, with minor amounts of image noise and blurring visible in some of our test footage. Nevertheless, the clarity of images, including fast moving objects, is relatively good for the most part and is enough to satisfy non-professionals. Colour reproduction is probably one of the camera's biggest flaws though, with reds and yellows looking washed out in certain light conditions. We did manage to correct most of this through calibration, but it's still an annoyance for users looking for true-to-life colours.
The UX7's auto mode performed well, with the exception of the aforementioned inability to adapt to certain light conditions to produce accurate colours. Autofocus reacts well to quick changes and manages to quickly focus on objects, even at close range. Thankfully, Sony has included an impressive range of manual options, including white balance and exposure. Optical zoom is only available at 10x however, and this is somewhat disappointing for a DVD based camcorder, even if digital zoom to 20x is available as well.
Design-wise the UX7 is comfortable to hold, with all buttons in easy reach. The interface, navigated via touch screen, is well laid out and easy to navigate. Battery life is incredibly good at over two hours, especially considering that a single DVD's capacity is just under one hour at the lowest quality setting, and around 20 minutes at the highest.
Overall, there isn't anything that stands out about the Sony HDR-UX7. If you're looking for a high definition DVD camcorder, and don't mind having to occasionally work around colour reproduction issues, then it's a solid choice.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- D-Link camera can be hijacked to become a spy-cam
- Nvidia's pricey Shield Android TV adds some value with 4K YouTube and Netflix HDR in US
- Netflix's Fast.com download tester takes its war against slow ISPs directly to the user
- Nearly 100 classic NFL games headed to YouTube
- Netflix isn’t big on virtual reality for the obvious reasons
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCContract Junior Programmer (JAVA / SQL) 160621/JP/224Asia
- CCOracle iLearning Business AnalystNSW
- CCSystems Engineer | Experimental military technology | NV1ACT
- CCProject Scheduler - IT Security ProgramNSW
- FTIT Support Analyst (Renewal Contract)Asia
- CCSecurity Engineer - SUMO focusNSW
- CCNetwork EngineerVIC
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- CCMulesoft Integration DeveloperWA
- CCIT Desktop Support- Travelling in NSW requiredNSW
- CCData Warehouse Specialist- Power BI, SSAS DBA, Azure, SQLNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160620/AP/623Asia
- FTIT Service Desk AnalystNSW
- CCProgram ManagementWA
- CCSenior Performance & Automation EngineerNSW
- CCLead UX DesignerNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTTechnical Consultant - ServerSA
- FTAppian Developer/ArchitectVIC
- CCWAN Contract ManagerACT
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCProject Master SchedulerVIC
- FTMobility Developer x 2 - iOS and Android positions available!NSW
- CCLevel 1 & 2 Helpdesk (Need SAP, ERP system experience)NSW
- CCBusiness AnalystACT