- Wide range of innovative and useful functions, full 1920 x 1080 resolution high-definition display, very easy and intuitive to operate
- Some features poorly implemented, no DVI
The Sony DSTHD100 is innovative and easy to use, despite a few minor flaws.
Price$ 699.00 (AUD)
Sony's DSTHD100 is an excellent digital set top box, featuring several impressive functions. In addition to the regular range of digital features, the Sony brings picture-in-picture and pause functionality to its array, and to top it off, delivers stunningly clear high-definition images.
This isn't to say that the DSTHD100 is perfect, however, for it does have a few minor flaws. The first is apparent from the moment the device is removed from its box. The back panel is surprisingly sparse, with a bare minimum of connection options. The lack of DVI output on the Sony is one of its largest drawbacks. It has component, composite, S-Video, RF loop-through and S/PDIF digital audio output.
Sony has also implemented a couple of features on the DSTHD100 a little poorly. For instance, the favourites menu is slightly annoying. As soon as it's brought up, it disables flicking through regular channels, cycling through favourites only instead. To rectify this, the entire program list must be brought up again. The program information plates and electronic program guide (EPG) are also a little difficult to navigate and set up, and the EPG is especially annoying, since information can only be brought up on one channel at time, rather than multiple channels simultaneously, for comparison. One final complaint: the Sony lacks the ability to cycle through just TV or just radio stations, which can make channel surfing somewhat tedious.
These foibles aside, the Sony DSTHD100 delivers nothing but the highest-quality digital experience. The menu is incredibly well laid out and rather unobtrusive. Navigating through the various features is quick and easy, especially with the remote, which is well designed and clutter free. The controls on both the remote and the front panel are intuitive and responsive.
What really makes the DSTHD100 stand out, though, are two of its features that don't appear on many other boxes: the picture-in-picture and pause function. Both are well implemented, and easy to use via buttons on the remote. The picture-in-picture feature only works with channels from the same broadcaster, since the Sony doesn't come with twin tuners, but is still a useful and worthwhile feature. The pause function is an interesting addition to the box, especially considering that it doesn't include a hard drive for recording. This means that programs cannot be paused indefinitely, for playback to be resumed normally. Instead, it allows the picture to be frozen (for instance, to jot down a phone number), and once unfrozen, playback speeds up to catch up with the broadcast (minus audio). It isn't quite up to speed with a PVR's pause functionality, but it's definitely a standout feature for a regular set top box.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSAP BOBJ ConsultantACT
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer -NetApp & TSMNSW
- TPMicrosoft Analyst ProgrammerSA
- CCProject Manager - Telco Networks EngineeringVIC
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- CCData Engineer (Java/ Data/ Big Data Developer)VIC
- FTDeveloper - XML & JavaVIC
- CCService ManagerACT
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- FTAnalyst Programmer (Natural/Adabas)SA
- TPSenior Analyst Programmer - ContractQLD
- TPDrupal Developer - Immediate startQLD
- TPBI & Report Developer (SQL Developer)QLD
- FTSales Account Manager | Cloud Solutions | Global Tech GiantNSW
- TPSenior Java Developer - ContractQLD
- FTJava Developer - Fixed Term ContractQLD
- FTSenior Java Developers (Several positions available)QLD
- TPTest AnalystQLD
- FTLife/400 Resource - PermanentNSW
- TPAEM DeveloperNSW
- FTFinancial ERP Customer SME / Solution Consultant / System AccountantNSW
- FTJunior Software Developer - SASACT
- FTDigital Sales Account Manager - Global BrandNSW
- TPICT Project CoordinatorQLD