- Fast burning
- May be somewhat unstable at higher speeds
This drive was solid in all of our tests, and is definitely worth considering.
Price$ 179.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- Petit Dru Pro 80 Mountaineering Pack 818.99
Even though this drive technically supports 48X CD burning, Sony throttles it to 40X straight out of the box, citing reliability and safety concerns when the disc spins at very high speeds. Having experienced high-speed disc-shattering firsthand in the past using a burner from a competing brand, this throttling is fine by me.
In fact, at 40X, a CD will only take a few seconds more to burn than at 48X, so there is really no substantial gain when burning at the higher speed. If you do want to burn (and read) at the highest speed, then you will need to keep your finger on the eject button for 5 seconds until the green light flashes. In any case, when we did this, the maximum speed we could use with our 52X rated CD-Rs was 40X.
Moving on to its DVD performance, the Sony performed quite well when burning DVD+R and DVD+R DL media. Writing at 16X, our test DVD+R disc completed its burn in only 5 minutes and 46 seconds, while a double layer disc took only 26 minutes and 46 seconds. Its DVD-R write and read performance was slow, however.
At its highest burn rate, this drive uses the CAV method to burn DVDs, while PCAV is used on slightly slower speeds and CLV on discs that cannot be burnt higher than 6X. CLV is also used to burn double layer discs.
The Sony has a fairly stylish front bezel and does not make too much noise when in full flight. Its short depth also makes it a very good choice for a small form-factor PC.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
- Intel claims storage supremacy with swift 3D XPoint Optane drives, 1-petabyte 3D NAND
- Intel's new super-fast SSDs feature 3D NAND
- Samsung begins shipping redonkulous 15.36TB SSD
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Australian Systems Integrator - Immediate interviewNSW
- CCFront end and Full Stack DevelopersNSW
- CCSenior iOS DeveloperNSW
- FTIT Support - Level 1NSW
- CCSr. Windows Server Administrator- Financial Institution BckgNSW
- FTHadoop Operation EngineerNSW
- FTTester/Business AnalystWA
- CCProject ManagerACT
- FTDevOps SpecialistVIC
- CCIT Assistant (Office Automation/Windows) 160517/ITA/884Asia
- CCScrum MasterACT
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Contributions TaxNSW
- FTStorage SpecialistVIC
- CCiOS Developer x 2NSW
- CCOpen Source Specialist / Senior ConsultantQLD
- CCService Desk analystSA
- FTManaging Security ConsultantQLD
- FTSecurity Software EngineerACT
- CCSenior Change AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCQA OfficerACT
- FTFunctional Business Analyst Dynamic AXNSW
- CCMultiple .Net DevelopersNSW
- CCChange manager/Change LeadNSW