- Good connectivity, aesthetically pleasing, fast printing, excellent image quality
- High print costs
The Sony's design, features and quality prints make it a fine choice. If Sony could get the cost per print down, it would be a must-have product.
Price$ 300.00 (AUD)
A member of Sony's line of dye-sublimation photo printers, the DPP-FP50 is a sleek little unit designed to look stylish yet unobtrusive in your living room. And why would you want it in your lounge? Because it features an AV port and a remote control, which let you hook it up to your TV to turn it into your own photo lab. With built-in software you can do basic editing and enhancements, such as red-eye reduction, cropping, rotating and adjusting brightness and sharpness, on the TV screen. You can also add text and fancy borders, if you wish, and run slide shows and then print any photo in the slide show with the remote.
The Sony has some of the best connectivity options on offer. There are built-in card readers for Memory Stick, CompactFlash and SD cards; a PictBridge port to connect a camera; the TV-out option; and a USB port to connect the printer to a PC (Sony's PictureGear software is supplied). For standalone printing, a control panel with buttons and monochrome LCD lets you navigate options.
All of this makes the DPP-FP50 a better option for owners of non-Kodak (or other ImageLink-compatible) cameras who want the excellent image quality of a dye sublimation printer. In our testing, the Sony printed superb quality photos at a very high speed. On average speed, it took 1 minute 13 seconds to produce a 4" x 6" print.
The Sony's has high print costs: at the time of writing, a 40-sheet paper/cartridge kit cost $44.95, for an average print cost of $1.12. If you buy the 80-sheet pack for $79 the cost drops slightly to 99 cents per print.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 2 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 3 LED Lenser P7R Professional Torch review
- 4 Aftershokz Wireless Trekz Titanium Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headphones review
- 5 Review: Periscope users rejoice with Feiyu’s G4 Plus 3-Axis Gimbal for Smartphone video
Latest News Articles
- How 4D printing is now saving lives
- 3D printing industry to triple in four years to $21B
- Disney files patent for near instantaneous 3D printing
- Never run out of printer ink with HP Instant Ink
- HP to launch 3D printers this year
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- FTCertification and Accreditation Security ConsultantACT
- FTSenior Project Manager | TelecommunicationVIC
- FTDesktop/Application SupportVIC
- CCNetwork and Security EngineerNSW
- CCFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- CCeCommerce Project ManagerNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager - DCR ProjectNSW
- CCSecurity Cleared IT Professionals - Expression of InterestSA
- CCService Desk analystSA
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- CCVideo Conference Support Officer- VoIP, LAN, WAN, RemedyNSW
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCProgram Manager - Data InsightVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (IT Security) 160928/JP/653Asia
- FTNetwork and Security Design EngineerNSW
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- FTScrum Master | High Profile FintechNSW
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- FTNetApp Storage ConsultantWA
- FTInfrastructure Solutions ArchitectACT
- CCBusiness Analyst - Telecom ProjectNSW