- Intuitive interface, large number of features
- Uncomfortable to hold
You get all the features you'd expect to find in a late-model camcorder, but make sure you test its handling before taking one home.
Price$ 1,499.00 (AUD)
These days, it seems the major camcorder manufacturers are competing to cram the most features into the smallest package. Sony joins this battle with a model almost small enough to fit into your back pocket.
Although feature-packed, comfort could be an issue--and it's crucial in the quest for high-quality video. During testing, the camcorder sat uncomfortably in the hands of several people, all of different proportions, and we found the major problem to be the cumbersome hand strap. This strap also doubles as a wrist strap, freeing up the body of the camcorder for your whole hand to grip--but your fingers will still struggle to find any sweet spots.
A manual switch for the built-in lens cover further limits the camera's ease of use. Before recording, you must open the cover by flipping a small switch located next to the lens. More than once we found we'd forgotten to do this and missed the moment.
The DCR-PC108E is hard to beat on features, including the outstanding inclusion of a docking station. Once docked, all the major data connections (USB, FireWire/i-Link, S-Video and AV) are available, and the battery is also recharged through the same interface.
A quality Carl Zeiss (10X optical zoom) lens works alongside a 0.8Mp CCD to capture accurate, dynamic bright movies. It can capture 640 x 480 still images to a Memory Stick Duo, as well. White balance response was particularly impressive on outdoor shoots. The 2.5" LCD screen also doubles as a touch-sensitive input for the easy-to-use 3D menu system.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- D-Link camera can be hijacked to become a spy-cam
- Nvidia's pricey Shield Android TV adds some value with 4K YouTube and Netflix HDR in US
- Netflix's Fast.com download tester takes its war against slow ISPs directly to the user
- Nearly 100 classic NFL games headed to YouTube
- Netflix isn’t big on virtual reality for the obvious reasons
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTSAP PI ABAP SpecialistVIC
- FTDesktop Specialist - Application PackagingACT
- CCBusiness Analyst/ Scrum MasterNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - InsuranceVIC
- FTPortfolio Governance ConsultantNSW
- CCSAP FICO Consultant/SAP FICO Stream LeadNSW
- FTSenior Oracle Functional Analyst (Finance)VIC
- FTCisco IP Telephony EngineerNSW
- CCData Analyst / Data ModelerNSW
- CCIncident ManagerSA
- CCIP & Fixed LeadVIC
- CCBPM Solution ArchitectVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCDesktop Support AnalystNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE) 160721/AP/075Asia
- CCSAP Payroll Implement/Migration Project Manager/ SpecialistNSW
- FTService Desk Team LeadNSW
- FTInfrastructure Technology Platform ManagerVIC
- CCIOS DeveloperWA
- CCDW/BI DeveloperACT
- CCInformation Management Project Manager (SAP BI)NSW
- FTSAP Team LeadVIC
- CCGuidewire Developer - Policy Center 8NSW
- CCSenior Agile Java/Spring/AngularJS EngineerNSW