- Build quality, useful docking station, touch screen control
- Still images are only VGA quality, no FireWire cable supplied for use away from the docking station
One of the most stylish consumer camcorders around. With the useful docking station, the DCRHC32 is an ideal option for anyone wanting to work with their video on the PC.
Price$ 999.00 (AUD)
One of the smallest miniDV-based palmcorders on the market, with dimension of only 55 x 90 x 112mm, the Sony DCRHC32 has a sparse layout, with most of the controls accessed through the LCD screen. The LCD transforms into a touch screen panel when you need to access menu items and control the camcorder functions.
Utilising a Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar 20X optical zoom lens, the Sony DCRHC32 performed well in most light situations. In well-lit environments, the DCRHC32 produced sharp images that were suitably saturated, with a good overall colour balance. In fully automatic mode, video performance was accurate, with the camcorder making most of the exposure changes automatically.
In situations with poor lighting, the Sony produced video with only low-level graininess. It has a Super NightShot Plus mode for taking video in near darkness, but this produced the kind of washed-out green tinged video you may have seen in a spy thriller.
The camera can take still images and store them on a Memory Stick PRO Duo or Memory Stick Duo, but these max out at VGA resolution (640 x 480). You can also record low-resolution MPEG1 video to the Memory Stick.
The DCRHC32 features the ability to adjust the focus and metering simply by touching a spot on the LCD screen--the DCRHC32 then makes the appropriate adjustments for that area, and continues shooting. The DCRHC32 also has a zoom switch and record button on the side of the LCD screen, in addition to the standard position on the camera body. This can allow more stable shooting as you can control the scene more effectively by moving the zoom with the left hand while holding the camcorder firmly in the right.
Although the DCRHC32 is an ideal option for point and shoot simplicity, anyone wanting more control over the video-making process may become frustrated with the lack of on-camera controls. Several powerful manual exposure options do exist on the DCRHC32, but you need to delve several levels into the menu screen to reach them.
If you like to just plug and go, you will love the Handycam Station, which provides an instant connection to your PC as well as a recharger for the battery. When plugged into the Station, you also get an easy-to-use Webcam function.
The DCRHC32 is competitively priced and handled very well in our tests, but anyone with larger than average hands may find operating the camcorder a trial.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
Huawei Mate 9
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- AT&T will acquire Time Warner for US$85.4b in content play
- Facebook adds Apple TV and Chromecast support as video push ramps up
- Remocam review: This security camera can control your home appliances
- Logitech's C922 webcam is the revered C920's vastly upgraded successor
- Jump the line for the newest Chromecast features with Google's new preview program
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPSenior Business AnalystVIC
- TPService Desk Analyst - Level 1VIC
- CCData Migration Consultant - LeadNSW
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCTechnical Business Analyst - Infrastructure - VirtualizationNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Cyber SecurityACT
- FTSenior Java Developers (Several positions available)QLD
- FTDynamics AX Functional ConsultantACT
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior .Net Developer with Silverlight proficiencyVIC
- TPBI & Report Developer (SQL Developer)QLD
- CCProject Support OfficerNSW
- CCTest Automation EngineerVIC
- FTApplication Support SpecialistNSW
- CCPMO Analyst - Financial ServicesNSW
- TPSenior Java Developer / DevOps - ContractQLD
- CCSenior Automation TesterQLD
- CCProject Manager - Adelaide basedVIC
- FTSenior Technical Consultant - SQLACT
- FTSAP BW ConsultantACT
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer with Strong SQL DevNSW
- FTSenior Network AdministratorNSW
- TPTechnical Business Analyst - DigitalQLD