- Build quality, useful docking station, touch screen control
- Still images are only VGA quality, no FireWire cable supplied for use away from the docking station
One of the most stylish consumer camcorders around. With the useful docking station, the DCRHC32 is an ideal option for anyone wanting to work with their video on the PC.
Price$ 999.00 (AUD)
One of the smallest miniDV-based palmcorders on the market, with dimension of only 55 x 90 x 112mm, the Sony DCRHC32 has a sparse layout, with most of the controls accessed through the LCD screen. The LCD transforms into a touch screen panel when you need to access menu items and control the camcorder functions.
Utilising a Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar 20X optical zoom lens, the Sony DCRHC32 performed well in most light situations. In well-lit environments, the DCRHC32 produced sharp images that were suitably saturated, with a good overall colour balance. In fully automatic mode, video performance was accurate, with the camcorder making most of the exposure changes automatically.
In situations with poor lighting, the Sony produced video with only low-level graininess. It has a Super NightShot Plus mode for taking video in near darkness, but this produced the kind of washed-out green tinged video you may have seen in a spy thriller.
The camera can take still images and store them on a Memory Stick PRO Duo or Memory Stick Duo, but these max out at VGA resolution (640 x 480). You can also record low-resolution MPEG1 video to the Memory Stick.
The DCRHC32 features the ability to adjust the focus and metering simply by touching a spot on the LCD screen--the DCRHC32 then makes the appropriate adjustments for that area, and continues shooting. The DCRHC32 also has a zoom switch and record button on the side of the LCD screen, in addition to the standard position on the camera body. This can allow more stable shooting as you can control the scene more effectively by moving the zoom with the left hand while holding the camcorder firmly in the right.
Although the DCRHC32 is an ideal option for point and shoot simplicity, anyone wanting more control over the video-making process may become frustrated with the lack of on-camera controls. Several powerful manual exposure options do exist on the DCRHC32, but you need to delve several levels into the menu screen to reach them.
If you like to just plug and go, you will love the Handycam Station, which provides an instant connection to your PC as well as a recharger for the battery. When plugged into the Station, you also get an easy-to-use Webcam function.
The DCRHC32 is competitively priced and handled very well in our tests, but anyone with larger than average hands may find operating the camcorder a trial.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Huawei female watch review: Bringing out your inner fashionista
- 4 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 5 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- D-Link camera can be hijacked to become a spy-cam
- Nvidia's pricey Shield Android TV adds some value with 4K YouTube and Netflix HDR in US
- Netflix's Fast.com download tester takes its war against slow ISPs directly to the user
- Nearly 100 classic NFL games headed to YouTube
- Netflix isn’t big on virtual reality for the obvious reasons
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCMessaging EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Manager (Business Data Management)NSW
- CCFMW DevelopersACT
- CCSAP Solution ArchitectACT
- CCService Lead - Cloud hosting and storageNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | Defence | NV1 / NV2 clearedACT
- CCIOS DeveloperWA
- FTAgile Coach / Training & Support ManagerNSW
- FTSecurity ExpertACT
- CCSQL DeveloperNSW
- CCCisco CCIE Certified Network EngineerWA
- CCService Coordinator/HelpdeskWA
- CCIP Test Analyst - Baseline Security ClearanceVIC
- CCVendor ManagerVIC
- CCPMO ManagerVIC
- CCContract IT Assistant (SQL/Windows) 160804/ITA/151Asia
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerACT
- CCSenior ICT Project Manager - Extensive Government experienceNSW
- CCChange CoordinatorNSW
- CCSOA -Solution Architect -baselineACT
- CCSolution Architect - Supply ChainNSW
- CCUX / UI Visual DesignerNSW
- CCCRM Technical Consultant / DeveloperNSW
- CCFull Stack Java DeveloperNSW