Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W5
- Very little image lag, looks great, full set of functions, large LCD
- Image quality is a little lacking on default settings, camera could be a smaller
This is a great 5 megapixel camera, highly recommended unless you want a lighter model that sits comfortably in your pocket. Its image quality problems can be overcome with a little tweaking.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
The Sony Cyber-shot DSCW5 is both physically and functionally impressive. Weighing nearly 200g, it is one of the larger 5 megapixel models we've seen, but it's not as large as some of the 10X zoom models. It is housed in a black or silver aluminium chassis, and looks very suave, if a little big to lug around in your pocket.
It also sports a wonderful 115,000 pixel 2.5" LCD. The more time we spend with digital cameras, the more we are convinced that a large screen really improves the picture-taking experience. To see your subject lit up on a large, high-quality LCD is infinitely better than squinting at a blurry rendering on a 1.8" screen.
The number of manual features is equally impressive. You can control focus, shutter speed and aperture manually, as well as white balance, sharpness, saturation, brightness and ISO levels. The feature set is truly impressive for a 5 megapixel model.
It comes with 32MB of onboard memory and supports Memory Stick and Memory Stick PRO flash memory cards for expansion.
The camera is equipped with Sony's Real Image Processor, which reduces the lag between shots. This makes a noticeable difference: the camera took only one or two seconds to recover between shots.
We found the camera's image quality lacking during our tests. While it produced some reasonable indoor shots, outdoor images came up a little pale. With a little tweaking of the camera's impressive settings, however, this could be easily rectified.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
- 2 Playing chicken with a Tesla Model S
- 3 Audi TT (2015) review: A smarter take on the sports coupe
- 4 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
- 5 Apple Watch review: saving time
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- GoPro Hero4 Session: half the size, waterproof to 10 metres
- Sony wants to bring 4K video capabilities to more digital cameras
- Sony brings 4K capabilities to new Cybershot cameras
- Google teams with GoPro in broad virtual reality push
- The Olympus Tough Stylus TG-4 camera can record RAW files
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCDrupal DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- CCInternal Communications AdvisorNSW
- FTMedia and Communications AdvisorACT
- FTAccount Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTPR & Corporate Affairs ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Drupal DeveloperNSW
- CCInternal Communications ExecutiveNSW
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW