Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P200
- Incredible feature set, comfortable to hold, great for everyone
- A little bulky
A feature-packed bundle that is a great family purchase.
Price$ 699.00 (AUD)
This camera is packed full of features. It has the versatility to suit the whole family, from complete beginners to experienced photographers, as it offers a huge range of customisable options. You can have everything automated or maintain complete manual control.
Its auto-focus function is the first thing you notice. It's operated by half-depressing the photo button. There are a number of preset exposure options, set up to work in various situations--including fast action shots, water shots, snow shots and landscapes--and they make a noticeable difference to the image. You can apply a number of special effects, including black and white and sepia.
More professional photographers can also have full control with this camera, changing everything from exposure and focus, to shutter speed and lighting. There is a white-balancing feature, to help give your shots vibrant colour, and a flash control to ensure your photos aren't overly bright or washed out.
You also have great control over the end result, as you can rotate, resize and resave your photos with different quality settings. Similarly, your videos (which can be recorded in 640 x 480 at 30fps) can be chopped up and changed around on-camera. While this function is only basic, it can save a lot of time if all that is needed is a simple trim.
We were pleased with the quality of images in our testing; the photographs could have been a tad sharper, but colour saturation and contrast were great.
The camera comes with a 32MB Memory Stick, which is greater than what is provided with many models yet still inadequate. We would recommend at least 256MB, which can store roughly 67 high-quality images, as opposed to the nine that can fit on the default card.
The camera is easy to hold, with a finger groove and a curved side that fits naturally in the hand. Its aluminium exterior feels solid, if a little bulky compared to some other models.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Google Camera 3.2 lets you snap pictures while recording video
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Sony α7S II aimed film-makers and low light photographers
- Canon goes big on resolution with 250-megapixel sensor
- Hey, Saturn, take a selfie! World's biggest digital camera will photograph the universe
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSenior Applications SpecialistQLD
- FTSenior Manager Practice LeadNSW
- CCSr Business Analyst FI/CO, ERP, Procurement, Payroll, HR, SAPNSW
- CCJunior PM/ConsultantACT
- CCBusiness Analyst, InsuranceNSW
- FTService Delivery Coordinator - ApplicationsNSW
- CCSecurity Engineer - SUMO focusNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst/Data Analyst Capability ManagerVIC
- CCTibco DeveloperWA
- CCSnr IT Project Manager - Contact CentreVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/ SQL/Web) 160708/AP/352Asia
- CCRelease & Configuration Manager | Defence intelligence application | NV1 clearedACT
- FTAppian Developer/ArchitectVIC
- FTSAP Solution Architect- Data Migration to SAP HR, payrollNSW
- CCProgrammer (IT Security/Website Administration) 160711/P/565Asia
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Canberra | Major exciting White Paper projectsACT
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTEnterprise Technology Platform ManagerVIC
- CCx2 AEM Frontend/UI DevelopersVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCIT Finance Systems Process AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Software Developer (Full Stack)SA
- CCBusiness Analyst - TravelNSW
- CCLevel 1 Helpdesk SupportNSW
- FTIT Service Desk AnalystNSW