Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P150
- Great photos for the price range, feels solid
- A little lacking in features, poor software
For snap shooters who like big prints, the Sony is up to the task.
Price$ 999.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Sony's DSCP150 has a powerful seven megapixel CCD. The high resolution may not give you better pictures if you usually print 5" x 7" or 4" x 6" prints, but it's a boon for making 8" x 10" or larger prints. The main drawback to 7 megapixel images is that you'll need higher-capacity media to hold the resulting larger files, and Sony's Memory Stick media costs significantly more than the SD or CompactFlash cards used by most other brands.
A cropped and enlarged shot of our test target had better reproduction of fine lines and text than those produced by most point-and-shoots we've tested, though it wasn't as sharp as the shots we took with more-expensive and more advanced 7 and 8 megapixel models. Test photos of a complex, outdoor cityscape and of an indoor still life looked beautifully detailed, with good colour and exposure accuracy.
For taking snapshots, the DSCP150 is a pleasure to use. It's exceptionally quick to start up, take shots and shut down. It has a solid, durable feel to it and a relatively simple menu system that is quick to roll through.
The cameras has more controls than most snap shooters need, but it lacks some controls that advanced photographers might want, such as white-balance calibration, bracketing, and semi-automatic modes. It does have a rudimentary full-manual exposure mode (you are limited to two aperture settings, which vary with the zoom you've selected), and a simple manual focus with a few stepped focus ranges.
The software accompanying the camera is pretty basic, so you'll want to expand your options with a good photo-editing package.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Google Camera 3.2 lets you snap pictures while recording video
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Sony α7S II aimed film-makers and low light photographers
- Canon goes big on resolution with 250-megapixel sensor
- Hey, Saturn, take a selfie! World's biggest digital camera will photograph the universe
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCEnd to End Project Manager - PMO and GovernanceVIC
- CC12 months + 2x12 months | $80/hr | NV1 Project Manager | Large govt departmentACT
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Major exciting White Paper projectsACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Contributions TaxNSW
- CCSkilled Sitecore / .NET DeveloperNSW
- FTHadoop Operation EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Programmer (Data Engineering)NSW
- CCProject SpecialistVIC
- CCTechnical PM - Magento E-Commerce SolutionNSW
- CCMS Dynamics CRM ConsultantVIC
- CCSenior IT Security Specialist-SANS, ISC2, ISACA, ITILNSW
- CCMicrosoft System Engineer - NV1ACT
- CCBig Data DeveloperWA
- FTSenior Developer (Full stack)SA
- FTCloud ArchitectAsia
- CCSenior Process AnalystVIC
- CCContract Programmer (MS SQL Server/SQL/Web) 160518/P/626Asia
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCTechnology Team Lead / Senior Developer - JavaNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL/Web) 160519/AP/453Asia
- CCBI/Information/Data/Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCNetwork Access Specialist - Telecommunications (Apply now)!!NSW
- CCChange Manager- Success Factors/HCMNSW
- CCSr Service ManagementACT
- CCPHP / Magento E-Commerce DeveloperNSW