Sonim XP3 Enduro mobile phone
The Sonin XP3 Enduro is a ruggedised and waterproof phone that is hard to break and easy to use
- Very tough, waterproof to one metre for up to 30min, good interface
- Calls sound slightly muffled and fuzzy, software needs to be downloaded, only waterproof to one metre
The Sonim XP3 Enduro ruggedised GSM mobile phone is tough, waterproof and very good value. If you have an active lifestyle or work in a tough environment where accidents are common, this is a phone that's well worth a look.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
The Sonim XP3 Enduro is a ruggedised GSM mobile phone that is tough and waterproof. If you live or work in conditions where accidental drops are common, this is a phone that will come in handy.
If you're a tradie, construction worker or just a fan of the outdoors, you'll be interested in ruggedised phones. As GSM coverage grows to include increasingly remote locations, mobile phones like the Telstra F158 and the Sonim XP3 Enduro must be built to cope with the conditions.
The Sonim XP3 Enduro feels very solid and capable of taking some punishment. Sonim says that the mobile phone can be repeatedly dropped onto hard surfaces from up to two metres, and we tested this claim on a variety of surfaces.
When dropped on concrete, tiles, dirt and wood, the phone usually stayed on.
When we dropped it at an angle that focussed the force of the fall on a single corner, however, the Sonim XP3 Enduro switched off and the SIM card disconnected. This meant that we had to unscrew the back plate and remove the battery before reassembling the phone. Both the phone and the SIM card were completely undamaged.
The screws are there for a good reason. Between the back plate and the Sonim XP3 Enduro's chassis sits a small rim of clear rubber, which forms a seal that prevents water from seeping into the phone.
The Sonim XP3 boasts an IP-57 protection rating (strong dust and water resistance) and MIL-STD-810F certification.
Sonim says that the phone can be kept at a depth of up to 1 metre for 30min, and during our tests we were able to operate the phone underwater. Although the one metre limit means that scuba divers won't be text messaging anytime soon, accidentally dropping the phone into a bucket of water or a pool shouldn't cause long term damage.
Sonim utilises a simple icon-based menu with a range of functions like a phonebook, organiser, voice recorder, picture browser and call lists. The Sonim XP3 Enduro has no built-in camera or MP3 playing capability, and has only 10MB of internal storage. The menu is quick and easy to use. The well-spaced buttons make the handset simple to operate, even when wearing gloves.
By holding down the button on right side for three seconds you can turn on an LED light; you could use it if you're having trouble fitting a key into a lock in the dark, for example.
When connected via the mini-USB port to a computer with the Mobile Phone PC-Tools software installed, you can sync your address book and organiser or use the Sonim XP3 Enduro as a wireless GPRS modem to connect to the Internet. Sonim doesn't include the software with the handset, so you'll need to download it first.
Outgoing and incoming audio are fuzzy and distant sounding. This is common for water-resistant phones, as the speaker and microphone must be more isolated than in standard phones. Even so, the sound quality is good enough for comfortable conversations. According to Sonim, the XP3 Enduro has 6 hours of talk time and 320 hours of standby time.
The Sonim XP3 Enduro is available for $0 upfront on selected Crazy John's and Vodafone Cap plans of $49 a month and above or $599 upfront for the handset alone. The handset is exclusively sold through Crazy John's.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Apple smartphones outsold Samsung's in Q4
- Apple joins Wireless Power Consortium, charging up iPhone 8 rumor
- Now you can control your smart devices from your Pixel, no Google Home required
- Everything we think we know about the LG G6
- Report: Snapdragon 835 will launch first in Galaxy S8, others have to wait
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCProject Manager (Event Management)NSW
- FTHRIS ConsultantQLD
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)WA
- CCSenior Technical SpecialistNSW
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- CCNetwork Engineer (cisco)NSW
- TPiOS Developer (Mobile)NSW
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)ACT
- FTSenior .Net Developer with Silverlight proficiencyVIC
- CCData Engineer (SQL/Big Data/Scala)VIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - AgileQLD
- TPProduct Owner - Cloud SolutionsQLD
- TPNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Finance ConsultantWA
- FTJava Developer/IntegratorACT
- TPSAP Helpdesk SupportACT
- CCMultiple System Engineers - Data Centre - TelcoVIC
- CCCommercial Contract AdministratorNSW
- TPBusiness Process Analyst (Newcaslte Based)NSW
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTSolutions Software DeveloperVIC
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Technical SpecialistNSW
- CCDemand/ Resource AnalystVIC