SMC Networks Wi-Fi Phone WSKP100
- No PC needed, ease of use and setup, excellent Skype integration
- Stiff and squashed controls, low resolution display, sluggish interface, no text chats
The SMC Wi-Fi Phone may be worth a look if you're an avid Skype user, but there are plenty of improvements that could have been made.
Price$ 239.00 (AUD)
SMC's Wi-Fi phone allows you to access Skype without using a PC, it also offers SkypeIn, SkypeOut and voicemail and features a 1.5in colour display. The WSKP100 comes preloaded with Skype on the handset itself and its wireless capabilities allow freedom for Skype users away from their PC's.
Aesthetically, the Wi-Fi Phone is quite plain. Its white and silver finish may look refreshing compared with many other bland Skype phones on the market, but the keypad and controls are a bit of a let-down. They require a firm press to activate as they are quite stiff and squashed together. Further, the five-way navigational joystick is small and thin, so it can be annoyingly difficult to grasp when trying to navigate through the handset.
The Wi-Fi Phone is straightforward and simple to set-up. When powered on, it automatically scans for a wireless network and presents a list of available access points. If the chosen network is encrypted, the handset will prompt for a WEP or WPA encryption key. Once connected, simply enter your Skype user name and password using the keypad. You only have to enter these details once, as the Wi-Fi Phone saves them and automatically connects and signs you into Skype each time you turn the handset on.
From the home screen, the Wi-Fi Phone displays Skype status, wireless signal strength, a battery life indicator and the available credit on your SkypeOut account. The menu is straightforward, but the low resolution of the display is a bit of a let-down while the speed of the interface is sluggish and slow, especially when trying to quickly scroll through lists.
Call quality is standard and like most Skype calls, the quality of each call will depend on the quality of the Internet connection between callers. SMC includes an earphone in the sales package, but strangely there is no handsfree speakerphone.
Holding the power button at the top of the handset allows the user to change any Skype settings including status, silent mode, profile details and networks. Skype status can only be changed to a preset setting, meaning users can't create a customised status message like they can on the PC version of Skype. Unfortunately, the Wi-Fi Phone doesn't offer multi-way calling or text chats, despite the presence of a keypad.
Battery life is average, rated at up to three hours of talk time and 30 hours of standby time. Depending on your usage patterns, you'll have to charge the handset quite regularly.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Google Daydream VR headset
Huawei Mate 9
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Chips coming by June will herald the next generation of Wi-Fi
- Plume's 'routerless' mesh network blankets your home in Wi-Fi with an army of tiny pods
- Netgear Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router goes all the way to 11
- New Skype Preview lets Windows 10 Insiders manage phone texts on PCs
- Telstra’s ‘Free Data Day” sets new record for mobile downloads
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSenior Project Manager x 2QLD
- CCArcSight Security Engineer - Contract - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- FTERP ConsultantQLD
- CCDesktop SupportNSW
- TPProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTNetwork Solution ArchitectVIC
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCSenior Automation TesterQLD
- FTApplication Support Analyst/DeveloperNSW
- FTBI Developer l Microstrategy , HadoopNSW
- CCSME in Openstack, AWSNSW
- TPImplementation Business Partner - Business ModernisationNSW
- FTAnalyst Programmer (Natural/Adabas)SA
- FTBusiness Intelligence Analyst / DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer - Tivoli Storage SpecialistNSW
- CCSQL Server BI DeveloperQLD
- FTStorage Solution ArchitectVIC
- TPSenior Analyst Programmer - ContractQLD
- FTFull Stack DeveloperQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTDigital Sales Account Manager - Global BrandNSW
- CCProject Coordinator l Large Media Capital Investment ProgramNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)VIC
- TPBI & Report Developer (SQL Developer)QLD
- FTApplications DeveloperACT