Sierra SWAT: Target Liberty
- The game concept sounds great on paper...
- ...but if your AI teammates can't even jump over a box, you can't even play the game in the first place
Target Liberty will only serve to frustrate even the most die hard of tactical shooter fans.
Price$ 69.95 (AUD)
Imagine it, you're in control of your very own SWAT team in the big city of New York, tasked with bringing to justice the various criminals and terrorists causing a nuisance in the Big Apple.
Though the tactical isometric shooting game, SWAT: Target Liberty shows a lot of promise, ultimately the allied AI and some control issues hold it back from truly shining.
The game primarily consists of a linear series of missions that run the gamut from gang violence to hostage situations. There is an overarching terrorist plot that you will have to foil, but the game's story only serves as a backdrop and to offer up some cheesy-action-movie style camp value. Before each mission you chose two team-mates controlled by AI to accompany you. Each member has their own strengths and weaknesses, be they an intimidation specialist who can get suspects to surrender more easily or a sharpshooter for when you know what will inevitably hit the fan. There is also a rudimentary experience system that allows you to improve the skills of each of your members as you progress.
The primary strength of Target Liberty's gameplay is the sheer number of contextual orders you are able to give to your team-mates. You can have your intimidation specialist call for suspects to get on their knees, or get your interrogation specialist to coax useful information out of an apprehended bad guy. Literally everything from breaching and clearing a room to whether or not to use lethal ammunition is rarely more than a couple of button presses away.
Where the game falls apart at the seams is when it comes time for your AI squadmates to execute your well thought-out orders. It is not uncommon for them to get stuck on obstacles, doorways or furniture and be unable to reach you no matter how many move orders you issue or how you reposition yourself. And as many options as you have to give to your team-mates, targeting an enemy yourself ultimately takes far too long, as you will either find yourself full of holes or your AI buddies will do the only thing they're functionally good at and light 'em up.
In the end, Target Liberty will only serve to frustrate even the most die hard of tactical shooter fans.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Latest News Articles
- Divinity: Original Sin II preview: Choose your own reactive, gloriously chaotic adventure
- South Park: The Fractured But Whole preview: With great farts come great responsibility
- Konami's Metal Gear Survive is a co-op zombie survival game
- Microsoft wants all your devices to run on Xbox One’s proprietary wireless signal
- Warning: No Man’s Sky's PC port is broken and buggy
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTIT ManagerNSW
- CCContract Programmer (Data/File Backup Technology) 160826/P/283Asia
- CCProject Manager - PCI DSS / IMACSQLD
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160824/AP/187Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160826/AP/972Asia
- CCBackfill Support Engineer (Renewable 12-month Contract)Asia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160902/SA/812Asia
- CCSalesforce CRM ManagerNSW
- FTCyber Security Sales Executive / Account DirectorNSW
- CCMurex Developers x 2NSW
- CCImplementation and Deployment ManagerNSW
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- FTIT Release CoordinatorWA
- FTAutomation Tester- C#, Selenium | Cloud Based Finance SolutionsNSW
- CCSenior Embedded Software EngineerWA
- CCDesktop Support Level 1 /2VIC
- CCiOS DeveloperVIC
- FTIT ManagerAsia
- CCNetwork Implementation EngineerNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager (12-month renewable contract)Asia
- CCSAP HCM / HR -Sr. Business AnalystNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer/Snr. Analyst Programmer 20160817/vedAsia
- CCDesktop Support EngineerNSW
- FTBack End Developer - Java, Spring, RESTNSW
- CCData ModellerACT