Siber Systems GoodSync Pro
Easy file syncing
- Works in a mixed-platform environment, easy to use
- Lack of documentation, contextual tool tips lacking for some controls
GoodSync is, well, good. If you want a simple and effective synchronisation program, you need look no further than the program — now at iteration 7.2.8.
Price$ 29.95 (AUD)
NOTE: The listed price for this product is in US dollars.
GoodSync from Siber Systems is one of the nicest-looking and easiest-to-use file- and folder-synchronisation programs we've seen.
Installation is a breeze; setting up and defining synchronisation jobs is almost as simple. For each job, you just browse to the requisite two folders, ask GoodSync to analyse the contents of each to make sure there are no incompatibilities, and — assuming all is well — give the green light and watch your folders sync.
If you are new to sync programs, the lack of documentation may initially seem daunting, but Siber helpfully provides detailed, pictorial walk-throughs on its Web site. That said, contextual tool tips would get you up to speed quicker, and are noticeably absent for some controls.
GoodSync Pro's tabbed interface is thoughtfully and logically laid out — you have a separate tab for each job. And the program has all the features you'd expect: bidirectional and unidirectional syncing, backup, file filtering, syncing of deletions and job scheduling.
Automatic scheduling of synchronisation is a cinch, and will add real value if you wish to use GoodSync for backing up. Being able to sync without thinking is a sure-fire way of avoiding a half-hearted backup regime.
GoodSync has one exceedingly useful feature you might not anticipate needing — the ability to tag a folder. This keeps you from inadvertently syncing to a like-named but different folder on a different drive if you set a job to run automatically when you insert removable media.
With Good Sync you can also synchronise files and folders across a network, but not to CD or DVD media. You can sync over FTP, too. And because it works freely over a network, you can use it in a mixed-platform environment — a file edit made on a Mac will still be in sync with the version the PC user sees.
Download the free trial of GoodSync and you can use it without restriction for up to 30 days, after which you're limited to only three jobs, and 100 files per job. The $US29 Pro version removes those limits. It also adds to the mix free upgrades, as well as web- and phone-based support.
One thing we really like about GoodSync: unlike with some other similar products there's no proprietary file format, which protects you against being up-sold at a later date.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Google Daydream VR headset
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Huawei Mate 9
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Google's new AI aims to end abusive online comments using 'Perspective'
- Village Roadshow aims to block 40 pirate sites
- Analysts peer into Microsoft's rumored Windows 10 Cloud
- Google lets users get social with Maps
- Microsoft unveils a bonanza of security capabilities
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCTest Capability LeadNSW
- FTIT Project Coordinator - Mascot/AlexandriaNSW
- TPDigital Strategist - Newcastle BasedNSW
- FTData AnalystQLD
- TPDigital Project ManagerVIC
- TPGIS Developer - 6 month ContractQLD
- CCService ManagerACT
- CCFirewall EngineerNSW
- CCSystems Engineer (Infra)NSW
- FTSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- FTLife/400 Resource - PermanentNSW
- CCSAP Billing & Invoicing ConsultantNSW
- TPAnalyst Workplace SupportVIC
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- FTPrincipal Architect - Infrastructure | Major BankVIC
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- FTSenior Technical Consultant - SQLACT
- CCSystems Engineer (Systems Architect/Designer)VIC
- FTSenior Web DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Java EngineerACT
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | Enterprise Information SharingQLD
- TPSenior Analyst Programmer - ContractQLD
- FTSenior Security Sales SpecialistVIC
- FTMid Level PHP DeveloperNSW
- CCSAP Consultant - SAP Native HANA to DesignWA