- Clear image, optical audio out
- Poor audio quality
If you're after a portable DVD player to keep the kids entertained on long car trips, you'll appreciate Shinco MDP-1770's clear image, support for most common media formats, and nifty extra features.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
Shinco's MDP-1770 portable DVD player resembles a small silver notebook computer and features a top-loading optical drive with navigation and output buttons on the right-hand face beside the drive cover. There are separate outputs for headphones, audio and video, with an additional optical audio-out connector for integration into a home stereo system.
The player handles most common media formats, including DVD, CD and CD-R/RW, but we found we had problems getting it to play burnt DVD movies consistently. Some would work flawlessly, while others would fail to play at all. The MDP-1770 can also play back MP3 music from burnt discs and generate slide shows from Kodak Picture CDs.
The MDP-1770's 7" TFT screen has a 16:9 aspect ratio and sufficient brightness to use in shade outdoors, but it struggled in direct sunlight. A pair of speakers is located under the screen, but the audio playback is a little tinny for serious movie watching; you're much better off using a pair of high-quality headphones.
The player weighs less than 1kg and is obviously designed for use in bumpy conditions, as it features an impressive anti-shock function. We found that the Shinco player was able to maintain playback through heavy vibration, an important consideration if you're buying the DVD player to use on a plane, train or bus. The bundled rechargeable lithium battery drives the machine for a little over three hours of solid playback, and the player ships with a car power adapter so you don't have to worry about running short on the road. The player also ships with a mains adapter and remote control just in case you want to use it out of arms reach--such as on a coffee table or the foot of a bed, or driving a larger TV in a hotel.
With a reasonable battery life, bright screen and extra features such as optical output, the Shinco MDP-1770 is a quality portable DVD player, backed up by a one-year warranty.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Motorola Moto X (2nd Gen) review: Raising the bar
- 2 Xiaomi Mi4 review: Xiaomi's best yet
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Note Edge review: Lightly flawed, Undeniably special
- 4 Sony Xperia Z3 review: The no-frills flagship
- 5 Samsung's Galaxy Alpha review: A peek into the Galaxy S6
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- The Upload: Your tech news briefing for Tuesday, January 27
- Computer simulation eases real-world Chinese traffic jams
- Link between NSA and Regin cyberespionage malware becomes clearer
- China signals censors will continue to crack down on VPN services
- Facebook, Instagram temporarily down in many countries
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.