- Clear image, optical audio out
- Poor audio quality
If you're after a portable DVD player to keep the kids entertained on long car trips, you'll appreciate Shinco MDP-1770's clear image, support for most common media formats, and nifty extra features.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
Shinco's MDP-1770 portable DVD player resembles a small silver notebook computer and features a top-loading optical drive with navigation and output buttons on the right-hand face beside the drive cover. There are separate outputs for headphones, audio and video, with an additional optical audio-out connector for integration into a home stereo system.
The player handles most common media formats, including DVD, CD and CD-R/RW, but we found we had problems getting it to play burnt DVD movies consistently. Some would work flawlessly, while others would fail to play at all. The MDP-1770 can also play back MP3 music from burnt discs and generate slide shows from Kodak Picture CDs.
The MDP-1770's 7" TFT screen has a 16:9 aspect ratio and sufficient brightness to use in shade outdoors, but it struggled in direct sunlight. A pair of speakers is located under the screen, but the audio playback is a little tinny for serious movie watching; you're much better off using a pair of high-quality headphones.
The player weighs less than 1kg and is obviously designed for use in bumpy conditions, as it features an impressive anti-shock function. We found that the Shinco player was able to maintain playback through heavy vibration, an important consideration if you're buying the DVD player to use on a plane, train or bus.
The bundled rechargeable lithium battery drives the machine for a little over three hours of solid playback, and the player ships with a car power adapter so you don't have to worry about running short on the road. The player also ships with a mains adapter and remote control just in case you want to use it out of arms reach--such as on a coffee table or the foot of a bed, or driving a larger TV in a hotel.
With a reasonable battery life, bright screen and extra features such as optical output, the Shinco MDP-1770 is a quality portable DVD player, backed up by a one-year warranty.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle) 160728/AP/623Asia
- FTProject Manager - IT Technology / Site RelocationsNSW
- FTProgram Master SchedulerVIC
- CCProject ManagerACT
- CCSales Support Associate - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCNetwork Engineer - NV2 ClearanceVIC
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectVIC
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst (NON-IT)WA
- FTApplication Support AnalystSA
- CCSAP Solution ArchitectACT
- CCNetwork ArchitectNSW
- CCDatabase developer/ModellerACT
- FTEnvironment Management AnalystACT
- CCDatabase AdministratorNSW
- CCTest Manager - Baseline SecurityVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst/ Scrum MasterNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorACT
- CCFull Stack Java DeveloperNSW
- FTMidrange Server Provision SMENSW
- FTSAP FS-PM/FS-PQM SpecialistVIC
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT
- FTAgile Coach / Training & Support ManagerNSW
- CCSQL DeveloperNSW