Sharpcast SugarSync File Syncing
- Supports both PCs and Macs, simple to set up and use
- No support for file revision history
It's not a free storage service, but the free trial means you can test it out and see if it's what you need.
Price$ 24.99 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
If you use multiple computers and mobile devices for creating and editing documents, it can be tough to keep different versions of your files in sync. A new service called SugarSync goes a long way toward curing those syncing headaches.
SugarSync is both a Web-based service and an application that you download; together, they provide a way for you to always have the most current version of a file, regardless of what computer you're using. You configure the downloadable application, called SugarSync Manager, to monitor certain folders on your PC. Files in those folders are then uploaded to your personal SugarSync Web page, which acts as an online storage repository, allowing you to access them from any Web browser.
SugarSync excels when you begin making changes to your documents. Any time you make a change to a file, the changes are automatically saved to the original version of the document on the computer on which it was created. Say, for example, you create a meeting agenda on your office PC. You later edit the document on your laptop at home and save it. SugarSync automatically saves those updates to your Web-based storage space, and also sends them to the original document on your office PC.
Unfortunately, SugarSync lacks a revision history of the synchronised files: Once you edit and save a file, only the newest copy is preserved.
Every device on which you install SugarSync also gets its own "Magic Briefcase" folder. Place a file in this folder, and the file appears in the Magic Briefcase on all your other devices running SugarSync.
Unlike many online storage services, SugarSync isn't free: Five plans are available, ranging from $25 per year for 10GB of storage to $250 for 250GB. (A 45-day free trial also is available.) It works on both Windows PCs and Macs, as well as on mobile phones with Web access.
(A nifty feature for camera phone users allows them to have any pictures taken with their phones sent directly to their PC.)
SugarSync provides a cost-effective and easy-to-use solution to manage files on several devices. Clearly, we've come a long way from the original Windows Briefcase and floppy disks for file synchronisation.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- PowerDVD 16 gains 360-degree video playback: Here's how it works
- Microsoft will miss its one billion Windows 10 device target
- Google is working to make every website viewable in VR
- Twitter's new stickers are more useful than Snapchat
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCSenior Project OfficerACT
- FTApplication Support AnalystSA
- CCTest ManagerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160801/AP/258Asia
- FTEnvironment Management AnalystACT
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT
- FTProgram Master SchedulerVIC
- CCEnvironment Support AnalystQLD
- CCSAP Solution ArchitectACT
- CCSolution Architect - Supply ChainNSW
- CCDatabase AdministratorNSW
- CCSharepoint Analyst DeveloperNSW
- CCSAP FICO Consultant/SAP FICO Stream LeadNSW
- CCProject Manager- Infrastructure and App Roles- Gov BackgroundNSW
- CCTechnical Specialist - EUCNSW
- CCService Design AnalystNSW
- FTDesktop Support Engineer (Renewable Contract)Asia
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- CCCRM Technical Consultant / DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/SQL Server) 160812/AP/553Asia
- CCSales Support Associate - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCContract IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160802/ITA/991Asia
- CCEnvironment ManagerVIC
- FTSOE Desktop Engineer - must have SCCM 2012NSW