Sharp SharpVision XV-Z2000
- Excellent image quality, 16:9 native, quiet operation
- One year warranty
A short-ish warranty is really the only negative point for what it is an outstanding home theatre projector.
Price$ 6,999.00 (AUD)
Sharp's SharpVision XV-Z2000 projector home theatre projector is a serious piece of kit, boasting multiple inputs, outstanding image quality and extremely quiet operation.
The machine is bulky, measuring 31 x 29 x 10cm, and features a large protruding lens. At around 4.3kg, the XV-Z2000 isn't a machine designed to be moved around. The base includes M4 mounting holes and there's a Kensington lock point for permanent installations in a boardroom or lecture hall.
The silver unit features ample side venting, which allows for adequate cooling without overdriving the fans. As a result the Sharp model manages to run near silently, which is an important consideration for anybody serious about home theatre.
A control panel is found in the centre of the top face, but all of these functions are mirrored on the remote. The remote control features a brushed metal top surface and glowing buttons to help navigate in a darkened room. The control provides quick access to menu functions, including keystone adjustments, picture sizing and zooming, and image properties.
The rear panel offers just about every connection common in Australia, and includes a DVI connector, two component inputs, along with both S-Video and composite sockets. There's even a serial adapter available for control.
On paper, the SharpVision model appears custom-made for home theatre buffs. The machine itself runs as a native resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels (720p), and can scale up to 1080i HDTV content to fit the screen. The 16:9 aspect ratio and relatively high resolution of the DLP display system offer outstanding picture clarity and smooth tonal variations in DVD movies.
A Texas Instruments (TI) HD2+ DLP chip sits at the heart of the SharpVision model, which is rated to 1200 ANSI lumens for brightness, with a 2500:1 contrast ratio. The TI chip is generally found in much more expensive models, and offers stunning image quality. Initially the screen looked a little bright and over saturated, but a quick calibration sorted out the issue and left the colours lifelike and vibrant.
All up, the SharpVision XV-Z2000 offers an outstanding home theatre experience, but a one-year warranty is relatively short considering the asking price.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Sony’s new liquid-cooled 4K home video projector delivers 5000 lumens of brightness, costs $60,000
- BenQ targets Epson with revamped home entertainment projectors
- LG's new Laser Display gives you 100in of full HD glory
- Vivid Sydney 2012 gets some love from will.i.am
- InFocus releases cheap short-throw projector
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT
- FTMobility Test AnalystNSW
- CCChange Portfolio ManagerNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorVIC
- FTBusiness Development ManagerVIC
- CCCRM DeveloperACT
- CCDigital Project Manager, AgileNSW
- FTSystems EngineerNSW
- FTSQL DATA AnalyticsNSW
- CCBI Delivery Project ManagerVIC
- FTProject Manager - IT Technology / Site RelocationsNSW
- FTMidrange Server Provision SMENSW
- FTSenior .Net Applications SupportACT
- CCBusiness Project ManagerVIC
- CCMac (iOS) Support Engineer - $30 p/h - Three Year ContractNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (HTML/JAVA/UNIX) 160804/AP/172Asia
- CCPeoplsoft Technical SupportACT
- CCPeopleSoft Consultant (Financial)NSW
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperSA
- FTInfrastructure Technology Platform ManagerVIC
- FTProject ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- FTProgram Master SchedulerVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst / BillingNSW