Sharp Helmet Ion Generator (IGCH2JW)
This device uses 'plasmacluster ions' to keep your helmet free from odours and allergens
- Easy to use
- Gives your helmet a nice clean feeling
- Has to sit on the generator for an extended period of time
- New car smell isn’t friendly
Sharp's Helmet Ion Generator does a good job of cleaning your motorbike, skiing or horse-riding helmet. It has a fresh, clean result, although the 'new car' smell isn't always pleasant.
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
Any motorcycle rider knows that there can be a funky stink that hovers around you on rides. This isn’t caused by riding in the tailwind of garbage trucks, but from sitting in traffic on hot summer days and sweating into your helmet.
Unless you’re fastidious about cleanliness and take the helmet lining out and regularly wash it, chances are you just put up with the smell. Or get used to it.
Sharp has come up with another solution — its Ion Generator with Plasmacluster.
The technical specs for the generator are as complex as you’d expect. The product has been designed to clear out bacteria and mold from inside motorbike and scooter helmets, without wetting the lining. It can be used on full-faced, open-faced and half-type helmets, depending on the level of skin grafting you’d like with your helmet in case of an accident.
Sharp says the ion feature of the product works by harnessing positive and negative ions with air purification technology, to decompose and remove bacteria.
Despite the complicated science behind the product, it is easy to use — you plug the connector into the unit and then into a power point. You place the helmet on the top of the generator just above the filter and then switch it on and leave it running.
Sharp recommends you leave the helmet on the unit for at least eight hours. The company also wisely recommends you don’t ride the generator.
We left it on the unit for 6 and a half hours. Our helmet was relatively new and not heavily used over the summer months, so a smell test for whether the generator worked was hard to judge. We wore our helmet about 20 minutes after taking it off the generator and could feel a difference — it felt clean and crisp.
However, there was faint new car smell inside the helmet after using the ion generator. We started to get a headache from the new car smell after about 15 minutes of riding. To avoid this, we’d recommend you leave the helmet to rest overnight after using the ion generator.
The product has an easy-to-clean filter which can be easily popped out from the bottom of the unit. We inspected the filter after we ran the generator and there didn’t seem to be any dust trapped in it, but Sharp recommends the filter be cleaned every six months. There is also a cleaning brush provided which can be accessed at the back of the unit.
The idea of an ion generator is a good one. It takes the hassle out of cleaning your helmet, it’s an easy product to use, and it seemed to do the job well. However, the helmet needs to sit on the generator for a long time and it has a headache-inducing smell afterwards. We’re also not sure how big the market would be for this kind of product.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- Take a ride on Positron’s Voyager, a full-motion chair for VR cinema
- Intel showed how 5G networking will power VR and self-driving cars
- Sony's Android-powered Xperia projector turns any flat surface into a touch screen
- IBM's hub for wearables could have you out of the hospital faster
- HoloLens Spectator View makes it easier to show off AR creations
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- TPApplication DeveloperACT
- FTDatabase DeveloperACT
- CCSystems AdministratorQLD
- FTWintel EngineerSA
- CCCloud Infrastructure SpecialistNSW
- FTTechnical Data Business AnalystNSW
- TP.NET DeveloperWA
- FTJunior DevOps Developer - TelcoVIC
- FTProject Manager (Business Applications)NSW
- FTKey Account ManagerVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCMicrostrategy DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Financial MarketsVIC
- FTFinancial ERP Customer - Solution Consultant / System AccountantNSW
- TPDigital Business AnalystNSW
- FTEAM Delivery Manager - SAPNSW
- TPProject Manager | HealthQLD
- CCSolution ManagerSA
- FTSeeking all Java Developers!WA
- CCChange LeadNSW
- FTEnterprise ArchitectQLD
- FTSenior Infrastructure Business AnalystVIC
- FTSenior C# DeveloperNSW