Sharp DVSL1200W DVD player
The Sharp DVSL1200W DVD player looks good, but it can't upscale to 1080p
- Looks good, easy to use
- No HDMI port, no upscaling to 1080p
The Sharp DVSL1200W DVD player looks good and is easy to set up, but its inability to upscale to 1080p and lack of an HDMI port make it unsuitable for people with televisions that have large screens or high resolutions.
Price$ 119.00 (AUD)
The Sharp DVSL1200W DVD player has progressive scanning and an attractive design, but its lack of 1080p upscaling and an HDMI output makes it unsuitable for use with large screen televisions.
The Sharp DVSL1200W's piano-black fascia and black aluminium chassis with grey trimming mean it should match most home theatre setups.
The composite and component ports are found at the rear of the Sharp DVSL1200W DVD player. Unfortunately, Sharp does not include component video cables. If you switch from component to the composite port without switching off progressive scanning, it will disable your image (and there is no reset button if you accidentally switch over). The lack of an HDMI port means that if you're watching DVDs with progressive scanning enabled, you'll need a television that has a component video port.
Progressive scanning is a display method that draws every single line in an image sequentially as opposed to interlaced scanning, which draws half the lines at a time; it makes the picture look clearer and smoother.
The next model up in this series has an HDMI port and 1080p upscaling, and it only costs $80 more. If you've got a large screen television then you'll want to purchase that one. When we hooked up the Sharp DVSL1200W DVD player to a Toshiba 40CV550A LCD television, the picture suffered from some pixilation, stuttering and artefacts.
If you've got a television with a low resolution, however, you will find the Sharp DVSL1200W DVD player suitable. The coaxial digital audio port is capable of handling 7.1 surround sound.
The remote control is easy to use, with well-spaced buttons that cover all the basic functions.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 2 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 3 Parrot Mambo Drone review
- 4 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 5 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's new TV app puts all the shows and movies you want to watch in one spot
- AT&T will acquire Time Warner for US$85.4b in content play
- Say goodbye to Apple's third-generation Apple TV
- Google's 4K HDR Chromecast Ultra costs US$69, and will launch in November
- Xiaomi's 4K-capable Mi Box is the most affordable Android TV device yet
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- TV buying guide: What to look for when buying a TV in 2016
- Best iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus plans: Optus vs Telstra vs Vodafone vs Virgin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSAP BPC Developer - MelbourneVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst- (MQC, QTP, BPMN, Visio or System Architect;NSW
- FTMULTIPLE PERM PROJECT MANAGERSACT
- CCProject SchedulerSA
- CCTest Engineer - .NETNSW
- CCOracle SOA DeveloperNSW
- FTQA - Business Development Lead (IT)Asia
- CCSoftware Engineer- Linux and DevOpsNSW
- CCContract Senior IT Assistant (Lotus Notes) 161101/SITA/571Asia
- CCIteration ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Voice & VideoACT
- CCBI Program DirectorNSW
- TPChange Management - Multi-stream transformationNSW
- CCProgress DeveloperQLD
- CCBusiness Consultant - CPM SoftwareVIC
- CCProgram ManagerACT
- CCContract Programmer (Internet/Intranet) 161019/P/615Asia
- CCLevel 3 Microsoft Resource EngineerVIC
- CCADABAS Database Administrator - NV1 clearedACT
- CCDrupal Developer - ContractACT
- FTWebSphere MQ Application SupportQLD
- CCService Desk ConsultantNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Functional Consultant Advanced Warehouse ManagementQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst/Systems Analyst (DW/BI)ACT