Sharp DVSL1200W DVD player
The Sharp DVSL1200W DVD player looks good, but it can't upscale to 1080p
- Looks good, easy to use
- No HDMI port, no upscaling to 1080p
The Sharp DVSL1200W DVD player looks good and is easy to set up, but its inability to upscale to 1080p and lack of an HDMI port make it unsuitable for people with televisions that have large screens or high resolutions.
Price$ 119.00 (AUD)
The Sharp DVSL1200W DVD player has progressive scanning and an attractive design, but its lack of 1080p upscaling and an HDMI output makes it unsuitable for use with large screen televisions.
The Sharp DVSL1200W's piano-black fascia and black aluminium chassis with grey trimming mean it should match most home theatre setups.
The composite and component ports are found at the rear of the Sharp DVSL1200W DVD player. Unfortunately, Sharp does not include component video cables. If you switch from component to the composite port without switching off progressive scanning, it will disable your image (and there is no reset button if you accidentally switch over). The lack of an HDMI port means that if you're watching DVDs with progressive scanning enabled, you'll need a television that has a component video port.
Progressive scanning is a display method that draws every single line in an image sequentially as opposed to interlaced scanning, which draws half the lines at a time; it makes the picture look clearer and smoother.
The next model up in this series has an HDMI port and 1080p upscaling, and it only costs $80 more. If you've got a large screen television then you'll want to purchase that one. When we hooked up the Sharp DVSL1200W DVD player to a Toshiba 40CV550A LCD television, the picture suffered from some pixilation, stuttering and artefacts.
If you've got a television with a low resolution, however, you will find the Sharp DVSL1200W DVD player suitable. The coaxial digital audio port is capable of handling 7.1 surround sound.
The remote control is easy to use, with well-spaced buttons that cover all the basic functions.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Acer Swift 7
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTConsultant Business AnalystQLD
- TPSenior Java Developer - ContractQLD
- TPDesktop Support OfficerQLD
- CCService ManagerACT
- FTPresales Solutions ArchitectQLD
- CCSolution DesignerVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTFinancial ERP Customer SME / Solution Consultant / System AccountantNSW
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystSA
- TPProject Manager to manage two concurrent ProjectsQLD
- FTSalesforce Technical Consultant/Architect Global IT Company - SydneyNSW
- FTData AnalystQLD
- TP.Net DeveloperSA
- TPSystem AdministratorVIC
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer - Tivoli Storage SpecialistNSW
- CCProject / Portfolio SchedulerNSW
- CCWindows System EngineerNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- FTStorage Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTTechnical Consultant - SQL Server programming skillsACT
- FTHR Payroll ConsultantQLD
- FTFront End DeveloperQLD