Sharp DVSL1200W DVD player
The Sharp DVSL1200W DVD player looks good, but it can't upscale to 1080p
- Looks good, easy to use
- No HDMI port, no upscaling to 1080p
The Sharp DVSL1200W DVD player looks good and is easy to set up, but its inability to upscale to 1080p and lack of an HDMI port make it unsuitable for people with televisions that have large screens or high resolutions.
Price$ 119.00 (AUD)
The Sharp DVSL1200W DVD player has progressive scanning and an attractive design, but its lack of 1080p upscaling and an HDMI output makes it unsuitable for use with large screen televisions.
The Sharp DVSL1200W's piano-black fascia and black aluminium chassis with grey trimming mean it should match most home theatre setups.
The composite and component ports are found at the rear of the Sharp DVSL1200W DVD player. Unfortunately, Sharp does not include component video cables. If you switch from component to the composite port without switching off progressive scanning, it will disable your image (and there is no reset button if you accidentally switch over). The lack of an HDMI port means that if you're watching DVDs with progressive scanning enabled, you'll need a television that has a component video port.
Progressive scanning is a display method that draws every single line in an image sequentially as opposed to interlaced scanning, which draws half the lines at a time; it makes the picture look clearer and smoother.
The next model up in this series has an HDMI port and 1080p upscaling, and it only costs $80 more. If you've got a large screen television then you'll want to purchase that one. When we hooked up the Sharp DVSL1200W DVD player to a Toshiba 40CV550A LCD television, the picture suffered from some pixilation, stuttering and artefacts.
If you've got a television with a low resolution, however, you will find the Sharp DVSL1200W DVD player suitable. The coaxial digital audio port is capable of handling 7.1 surround sound.
The remote control is easy to use, with well-spaced buttons that cover all the basic functions.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Acer Swift 7
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Google Daydream VR headset
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- LG 2017 OLED and Super LED UHD 4K TVs: Hands-on review
- Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- CCLevel 1 IT Support OfficerACT
- CCOracle WebLogic AdministratorNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCAutomation Developer - LinuxNSW
- CCLead SAP SRM DeveloperACT
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Positive Vetting, NV2 or NV1 requiredSA
- FTDatabase DeveloperQLD
- TP.NET DeveloperWA
- TPBusiness Change ManagerQLD
- FTProject AnalystACT
- TPIT Project ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Performance TesterQLD
- CC.net Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- FTLevel 3 Systems EngineerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - ForecastingNSW
- FTDeveloper - XML & JavaVIC
- CCApplication Support Specialist- Bathurst or Port MacquarieNSW
- TPBusiness Implementation ManagerNSW
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- FTAssociate Consultant - IT Project ServicesVIC
- CCOrganisational Change Manager - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- CCUX DesignerVIC
- CCChange and Communications ManagerQLD