Serif WebPlus X4
On the surface, WebPlus X4 is a template-based, wizard-driven, drag-and-drop program
- Simple tools for Flash and Java navigation bars. Smart Objects make it easy to embed functions.
- Takes time to explore and master all the options. Embedding pictures can be difficult.
Serif WebPlus X4 combines drag-and-drop simplicity with highly customisable options to deliver the tools that even non-techies can use to create sophisticated, interactive Web sites.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
Note: Pricing for this product is in US dollars.
On the surface, WebPlus X4 is a template-based, wizard-driven, drag-and-drop program. But under the hood, we found lots of controls and options. Experts can start a site from a blank page and even edit in code, if they wish. For the rest of us, the Create New Site from Template wizard has 50 design templates in six categories (plus five additional templates when you register).
We found no barriers to fully customizing our site, even when we started with a template. Each template has several types of pages already developed, such as Home, Gallery, Products, Contact, Article, or Links. Checkmarks select the pages for your initial Web site design; you can add or delete pages as you work, too. Choose from numerous color schemes, or use the new versatile Color Scheme Designer to design your own. As you work, a How-To panel next to the vertical toolbar keeps Help at your fingertips (or it can be collapsed out of your way). For more guidance, the new Learning Zone on the Startup splash screen has direct links to video and PDF tutorials, and to Support (the User Guide, Serif's online support, and user forums).
At the bottom of the main workspace is the new QuickBuilder Bar, which makes some of WebPlus X4's most powerful features comparatively quick and simple. Drag and drop any of the QuickBuilder tools--Text Frame, Image, Flash, Navigation Bar, Page, Photo Gallery, or Smart Object--onto your page, and it will open up a dialog or wizard for placing that object (such as an animated slide show) right onto your page. The Navigation Bar icon offers a nice range of customization, which results in a Java or Flash navigation bar of the kind we used to spend hours trying to code and then troubleshoot.
Smart Objects are Web gadgets that are hosted by Serif's own Web server. (You get 18 months of free Web hosting when you buy WebPlus X4. However, Serif assures us that if you choose another company to host your site, Serif will continue to support your Smart Objects indefinitely for free.) An example of a Smart Object is the new Resource Booking that creates a page in which visitors to the site can reserve a table in a restaurant, a conference room in the office, a seat at a concert, etc. Another is the Content Management System (CMS), which allows you to set up your site so that it can be edited online (by authorized users). In this way, the site owner can rewrite text, update information, add or replace photos, and so forth, without needing to work within WebPlus. Other Smart Objects can add a blog or forum, a signup for a newsletter, and other interactive functions.
Other new features include customizable tables and calendars; Boolean commands (Add, Subtract, Intersect, and Exclude) for combining drawn objects and text into complex shapes; the newly integrated Photo Lab for editing pictures; and dynamic guide snapping. Serif has partnered with Google so you can embed Google Maps into your site, attempt to generate income with Google Ads, or sign up for Google Analytics to analyze who is visiting your site.
Numerous existing features are enhanced, such as the ability to apply multiple Master Pages to a single Web page, and making an embedded YouTube video high definition or full-screen mode. Text handling is improved, with an expanded choice of import converters, and better control over how text fits a frame. Text and pictures can now be more easily aligned, with options for having the image inline with the text. However, we found it difficult to place the picture exactly where we wanted within a text box because it is controlled in a menu by pixel dimensions; you can't simply drop and move the image where you want.
To take advantage of all of WebPlus X4's power, you'll have to spend some time exploring the many options behind its apparent drag-and-drop simplicity. Nevertheless, for users who want to have a sophisticated, professional-looking Web site but who aren't professional coders, Serif WebPlus X4 delivers tools that nontechies can master.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Google's new AI aims to end abusive online comments using 'Perspective'
- Village Roadshow aims to block 40 pirate sites
- Analysts peer into Microsoft's rumored Windows 10 Cloud
- Google lets users get social with Maps
- Microsoft unveils a bonanza of security capabilities
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- CCSolution Architect - VMwareVIC
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCTest Capability LeadNSW
- CCSAP/ Nakisa Implementation ConsultantQLD
- CCNetwork ArchitectWA
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- FTSnr SOC Security Coordinator - Perm - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCTest AnalystWA
- CCMDM Consultant/DesignerVIC
- TPSystem AdministratorVIC
- CCNetwork Specialist - IPAM TelcoVIC
- FTSalesforce Technical Consultant/Architect Global IT Company - SydneyNSW
- TPSOE AdministratorQLD
- CCSQL Server BI DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Technical Consultant - MicrosoftACT
- TPEnvironment Specialist(DevOps)QLD
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTPre- Sales Solution ArchitectVIC
- TPSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTProject / Implementation Coordinator (Junior-Mid Level) Sunshine Coast LocationQLD
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)NSW
- TPProject OfficerNSW
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - ITMSP - Melbourne CBDVIC
- FTSenior Network AdministratorNSW