Serif PagePlus X3
An underrated DTP gem
- Excellent value, great PDF handling, 'package' feature, Image Cutout Studio
- Nothing of note
Better, cheaper and as easy to use as its predecessor, Serif PagePlus X3 is an ideal choice for desktop publishing on a budget.
Price$ 99.99 (AUD)
Note: Pricing for this product is in U.S dollars and will be updated to Australian dollars ASAP
While InDesign, QuarkXPress and Microsoft Publisher divvy up much of the desktop publishing market, Serif's PagePlus adopts the role of underrated gem.
The veteran layout tool can produce both print and Web publications, but most of Serif PagePlus X3's new features are sensibly aimed at satisfying the program's core constituency: print designers.
Perhaps the best of these improvements is Serif PagePlus X3's tool to extract backgrounds from images in the new Image Cutout Studio. You can select any document image and remove unwanted areas using a paintbrush to distinguish between the parts of the image to retain and those to remove. In practice, creating an accurate cutout was surprisingly easy.
Serif PagePlus X3 now offers a built-in logo creation tool, LogoStudio. You can select artwork — or use a template — and bring it into a customised illustration environment where you can add effects such as text on a path and predefined shapes.
Of more everyday benefit to the working designer is a 'package' feature that gathers all fonts and linked images used in a document before sending it to a printer. It's a feature usually found only in expensive desktop publishing programs and cements Serif PagePlus X3's deserved status as a professional-level tool.
PagePlus's PDF-editing abilities are exceptional. Print-standard export settings come as standard, and importing existing PDFs proved flawless. We found it even easier to edit text and adjust objects than it is in Adobe's own Acrobat program.
Not all the new features are headline grabbing: minor but valuable improvements include a new wizard to handle double-sided printing on a duplex printer, as well as support for Microsoft's new HD Photo format and native EPS files.
We also liked the improvements made to tables. Clicking and dragging to the left or right on the header after the last table column now deletes or adds columns; and a similar trick adds and removes rows — a great timesaver.
It's also good to see that despite a price drop, Serif PagePlus X3 continues to offer an exhaustive 250-page printed manual.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Latest News Articles
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- PowerDVD 16 gains 360-degree video playback: Here's how it works
- Microsoft will miss its one billion Windows 10 device target
- Google is working to make every website viewable in VR
- Twitter's new stickers are more useful than Snapchat
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCProject Manager - Expense Management SystemVIC
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- CCJunior/Intermediate Drupal web developer - APS Level 4/5 equiACT
- CCSAP HCM / HR -Sr. Business AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Technical Specialist - Active DirectoryVIC
- CCTechnical Support - iPAD, iPhone, Apple devicesNSW
- CCQuality AnalystNSW
- CCOracle DBA with Solaris experienceNSW
- CCSAP ABAP DeveloperNSW
- CCNetwork Implementation EngineerNSW
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (C++/JBoss) 160819/SSA/892Asia
- FTUNIX, LINUX , VM System AdministrationNSW
- CCDesktop Support EngineerNSW
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- CCIBM ODM Expert (Operation Decision Manager)ACT
- CCChange LeadsNSW
- CCLean Six Sigma Project ManagerVIC
- CCProject Manager- Radio CommunicationsVIC
- CCData AnalystACT
- FTChange Management Specialist - IT Service ManagementNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Datacentre Maintenance) 160817/SA/993Asia
- FTApplication AdministratorACT
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer/Snr. Analyst Programmer 20160817/vedAsia