Serif PagePlus X3
An underrated DTP gem
- Excellent value, great PDF handling, 'package' feature, Image Cutout Studio
- Nothing of note
Better, cheaper and as easy to use as its predecessor, Serif PagePlus X3 is an ideal choice for desktop publishing on a budget.
Price$ 99.99 (AUD)
Note: Pricing for this product is in U.S dollars and will be updated to Australian dollars ASAP
While InDesign, QuarkXPress and Microsoft Publisher divvy up much of the desktop publishing market, Serif's PagePlus adopts the role of underrated gem.
The veteran layout tool can produce both print and Web publications, but most of Serif PagePlus X3's new features are sensibly aimed at satisfying the program's core constituency: print designers.
Perhaps the best of these improvements is Serif PagePlus X3's tool to extract backgrounds from images in the new Image Cutout Studio. You can select any document image and remove unwanted areas using a paintbrush to distinguish between the parts of the image to retain and those to remove. In practice, creating an accurate cutout was surprisingly easy.
Serif PagePlus X3 now offers a built-in logo creation tool, LogoStudio. You can select artwork — or use a template — and bring it into a customised illustration environment where you can add effects such as text on a path and predefined shapes.
Of more everyday benefit to the working designer is a 'package' feature that gathers all fonts and linked images used in a document before sending it to a printer. It's a feature usually found only in expensive desktop publishing programs and cements Serif PagePlus X3's deserved status as a professional-level tool.
PagePlus's PDF-editing abilities are exceptional. Print-standard export settings come as standard, and importing existing PDFs proved flawless. We found it even easier to edit text and adjust objects than it is in Adobe's own Acrobat program.
Not all the new features are headline grabbing: minor but valuable improvements include a new wizard to handle double-sided printing on a duplex printer, as well as support for Microsoft's new HD Photo format and native EPS files.
We also liked the improvements made to tables. Clicking and dragging to the left or right on the header after the last table column now deletes or adds columns; and a similar trick adds and removes rows — a great timesaver.
It's also good to see that despite a price drop, Serif PagePlus X3 continues to offer an exhaustive 250-page printed manual.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 2 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 3 LED Lenser P7R Professional Torch review
- 4 Aftershokz Wireless Trekz Titanium Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headphones review
- 5 Review: Periscope users rejoice with Feiyu’s G4 Plus 3-Axis Gimbal for Smartphone video
Latest News Articles
- PSA: Windows 10's Anniversary Update reactivates ads you've already disabled
- Analysts laud and lance new Microsoft browser armor
- Andromeda inbound? Google's long-rumored Android/Chrome OS merger may debut Oct 4
- Apple's Siri-powered Amazon Echo rival reportedly hits the prototype phase
- Hands-on: Opera's free, unlimited browser VPN is ready for secure surfing
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (IT Security) 160928/JP/653Asia
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager - DCR ProjectNSW
- CCDigital Solutions ManagerNSW
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- FTMDM EngineerNSW
- FTInfrastructure Solutions ArchitectACT
- FTDesktop/Application SupportVIC
- CCAcquisition Marketing Executive - B2BNSW
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- FTBackup ConsultantWA
- CCTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / Kronos)NSW
- FTTeam Leader Full Stack, Python, FinanceNSW
- FTScrum Master | High Profile FintechNSW
- CCInformatica Developer (MDM)NSW
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- CCVideo Conference Support Officer- VoIP, LAN, WAN, RemedyNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Telecom ProjectNSW
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- CCeCommerce Project ManagerNSW
- FTCustomer Solutions Engineer | Voice | Data | TelcoNSW
- CCLAN ConsultantWA