Serif PagePlus X3
An underrated DTP gem
- Excellent value, great PDF handling, 'package' feature, Image Cutout Studio
- Nothing of note
Better, cheaper and as easy to use as its predecessor, Serif PagePlus X3 is an ideal choice for desktop publishing on a budget.
Price$ 99.99 (AUD)
Note: Pricing for this product is in U.S dollars and will be updated to Australian dollars ASAP
While InDesign, QuarkXPress and Microsoft Publisher divvy up much of the desktop publishing market, Serif's PagePlus adopts the role of underrated gem.
The veteran layout tool can produce both print and Web publications, but most of Serif PagePlus X3's new features are sensibly aimed at satisfying the program's core constituency: print designers.
Perhaps the best of these improvements is Serif PagePlus X3's tool to extract backgrounds from images in the new Image Cutout Studio. You can select any document image and remove unwanted areas using a paintbrush to distinguish between the parts of the image to retain and those to remove. In practice, creating an accurate cutout was surprisingly easy.
Serif PagePlus X3 now offers a built-in logo creation tool, LogoStudio. You can select artwork — or use a template — and bring it into a customised illustration environment where you can add effects such as text on a path and predefined shapes.
Of more everyday benefit to the working designer is a 'package' feature that gathers all fonts and linked images used in a document before sending it to a printer. It's a feature usually found only in expensive desktop publishing programs and cements Serif PagePlus X3's deserved status as a professional-level tool.
PagePlus's PDF-editing abilities are exceptional. Print-standard export settings come as standard, and importing existing PDFs proved flawless. We found it even easier to edit text and adjust objects than it is in Adobe's own Acrobat program.
Not all the new features are headline grabbing: minor but valuable improvements include a new wizard to handle double-sided printing on a duplex printer, as well as support for Microsoft's new HD Photo format and native EPS files.
We also liked the improvements made to tables. Clicking and dragging to the left or right on the header after the last table column now deletes or adds columns; and a similar trick adds and removes rows — a great timesaver.
It's also good to see that despite a price drop, Serif PagePlus X3 continues to offer an exhaustive 250-page printed manual.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft Translator now translates text from images, increases language support
- YouTube dives into VR, live-streaming with 360 video
- Netflix stops insisting it will never support offline videos
- YouTube rolling out live 360-degree videos with immersive Coachella experience
- Podcasts are now on the air in Google Play Music
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCInfrastructure Assurance OfficerACT
- CCSystem AnalystNSW
- FTWeb DeveloperSA
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTVendor Manager / Team Lead - ITIL / ITSMVIC
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTProduct Owner - MarketingNSW
- CCProduct SpecialistVIC
- CCBusiness Project ManagerAsia
- FTTechnology Risk ManagerNSW
- CCInteraction & Visual - Web DesignerNSW
- CCSenior Financial Crime AnalystVIC
- CCSCCM - SCOM - AD Systems EngineerNSW
- FTTechnical Business Analyst - BINSW
- FTPMO AnalystNSW
- CCSQL DeveloperVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - Digital/Financial ServicesNSW
- CCSnr Technical System Engineer(IBM DB2/WebSphere)160419/STSE/vmtAsia
- CCBPM ConsultantVIC
- CCSharepoint DeveloperVIC
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- FTData AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness Data AnalystVIC
- CCHyperion ConsultantNSW
- CCData AnalystVIC