Serif PagePlus X3
An underrated DTP gem
- Excellent value, great PDF handling, 'package' feature, Image Cutout Studio
- Nothing of note
Better, cheaper and as easy to use as its predecessor, Serif PagePlus X3 is an ideal choice for desktop publishing on a budget.
Price$ 99.99 (AUD)
Note: Pricing for this product is in U.S dollars and will be updated to Australian dollars ASAP
While InDesign, QuarkXPress and Microsoft Publisher divvy up much of the desktop publishing market, Serif's PagePlus adopts the role of underrated gem.
The veteran layout tool can produce both print and Web publications, but most of Serif PagePlus X3's new features are sensibly aimed at satisfying the program's core constituency: print designers.
Perhaps the best of these improvements is Serif PagePlus X3's tool to extract backgrounds from images in the new Image Cutout Studio. You can select any document image and remove unwanted areas using a paintbrush to distinguish between the parts of the image to retain and those to remove. In practice, creating an accurate cutout was surprisingly easy.
Serif PagePlus X3 now offers a built-in logo creation tool, LogoStudio. You can select artwork — or use a template — and bring it into a customised illustration environment where you can add effects such as text on a path and predefined shapes.
Of more everyday benefit to the working designer is a 'package' feature that gathers all fonts and linked images used in a document before sending it to a printer. It's a feature usually found only in expensive desktop publishing programs and cements Serif PagePlus X3's deserved status as a professional-level tool.
PagePlus's PDF-editing abilities are exceptional. Print-standard export settings come as standard, and importing existing PDFs proved flawless. We found it even easier to edit text and adjust objects than it is in Adobe's own Acrobat program.
Not all the new features are headline grabbing: minor but valuable improvements include a new wizard to handle double-sided printing on a duplex printer, as well as support for Microsoft's new HD Photo format and native EPS files.
We also liked the improvements made to tables. Clicking and dragging to the left or right on the header after the last table column now deletes or adds columns; and a similar trick adds and removes rows — a great timesaver.
It's also good to see that despite a price drop, Serif PagePlus X3 continues to offer an exhaustive 250-page printed manual.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Village Roadshow aims to block 40 pirate sites
- Analysts peer into Microsoft's rumored Windows 10 Cloud
- Google lets users get social with Maps
- Microsoft unveils a bonanza of security capabilities
- Google might be gearing up to remove millions of Play Store apps next month
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTConsultant Business AnalystQLD
- TPChange AnalystQLD
- CCData Analyst - AutoHaulWA
- TPLinux Desktop Support SpecialistWA
- TPBusiness Project ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer -NetApp & TSMNSW
- CCData Migration Consultant - LeadNSW
- TPICT Project CoordinatorQLD
- TPSenior IT Business AnalystVIC
- TPAgile CoachNSW
- CCAnalyst ProgrammerVIC
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCStorage System EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Learning Specialist - Global OrganisationQLD
- CCContract - System Access Administrator - major Telco in MelbourneVIC
- FTJunior Software Developer - SASACT
- CCCloud Security Solutions Architect - Finance - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTBusiness Development Executive - Queensland Public SectorQLD
- TPOracle Consultant - CC&BQLD
- CCDigital Communications ManagerNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional ConsultantACT
- CCProject / Portfolio SchedulerNSW
- TPInstructional Designer | DETQLD
- FTSenior .Net Developer with Silverlight proficiencyVIC
- CCPMO Analyst - Financial ServicesNSW