Sennheiser VMX 100
- Great voice quality, good volume, ease-of-use and pairing, 3D ball joint design
- A little large and inconspicuous
The VMX 100 combines excellent VoiceMax technology with a comfortable design to produce one of the best Bluetooth headsets on the market.
Price$ 229.95 (AUD)
The first Bluetooth headset featuring VoiceMax dual-microphone technology, Sennheiser's VMX 100 certainly packs in plenty of features. Its dual-microphone system -- one to emphasise your voice and the other to remove noise -- is the first of its kind, while it also boasts a 3D ball joint for extra comfort, and a talk time of up to five hours.
VoiceMax technology is the highlight of the VMX 100. Sennheiser claims the unit uses two microphones and advanced Digital Signal Processing (DSP) to distinguish between your voice and background noise. The technology then adjusts the amount of noise it removes according to the environment you are in. Although our caller's voice was extremely crisp and clear with notable volume levels, the VMX 100 doesn't completely eradicate background noise -- our callers still complained of minor instances in this regard. Despite this, the general quality of calls is superb, and is perhaps slightly better than the Z9.
Design wise, the VMX 100 is quite bulky. It has a large behind-the-ear piece and a convenient 3D ball joint; when folded open, this automatically turns on the unit. Despite the bulky size, it's fairly comfortable to wear, sitting neatly on top of your ear. The combination of black rubber and titanium-coloured plastic is a nice touch and looks business-like, while the controls are nearly laid out and are easy to access when worn. Our only complaint with the design is that the unit really stands out on your ear, and this may not suit everyone.
The VMX 100 is quite easy to use, with a call handling button and a volume button, the only two controls on the unit. Folding out the microphone boom automatically puts the unit into pairing mode and once paired, functions are simple and easy. Press the call handling button to answer a call, hold it to reject the ball, and press it again to end the call. Alternatively, you can simply close the microphone to end a call. You can also redial your last number by holding the call button for almost two seconds. Additional functions include activating voice dialling (provided this is supported by your phone), transferring a call from the headset to your phone and muting the microphone.
Sennheiser claims the VMX 100 has up to five hours of talk time and up to 100 hours standby. Conveniently, both a USB cable (for charging via a PC or notebook) and an AC adapter are included in the package. To top off the package, the VMX 100 comes with a two-year warranty.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Samsung files artificial muscle patent for use in flexible smartphones
- The affordable new Moto E grows in size, but not price
- Qualcomm's Snapdragon 821 is now the company's fastest mobile chip
- Snapchat launches Memories so you can save and search for past stories
- RIP: The BlackBerry Classic and its iconic keyboard is dead
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTPortal DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Tester - Automation / Telecommunications (Urgent)NSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Microsoft Active DirectoryNSW
- CCSales Support Associate - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCTest CoordinatorQLD
- CCIT/Telco Graduate | 12mth ContractVIC
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- CCPractice Lead - Java, FrontendVIC
- CCService Management Specialist / ITILNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerACT
- FTSenior Manager (Business Data Management)NSW
- CCDesktop Support AnalystNSW
- FTFull stack (back end focus) Java Developer | Defence | NV1ACT
- FTSystem Integration EngineerACT
- CCFMW DevelopersACT
- CCEnvironment ManagerVIC
- CCAgile Delivery ManagerACT
- CCHelpdesk OfficersNSW
- CCIT Security ArchitectVIC
- CCApplication Service TechnicianVIC
- CCTest ManagerNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL/Web) 160719/P/741Asia
- CCHigh Severity Incident ManagerVIC
- CCIOS DeveloperWA