Sennheiser PC 111
- Design, adjustable microphone, volume and on/off controls, shirt clip
- Long cord easily tangles, susceptible to background noise, some sound leakage
A stylish, over-the-ear VoIP headset, the PC 111 is a solid, if not outstanding product that should serve most users well.
Price$ 39.95 (AUD)
The Sennheiser PC 111 is an over the ear Internet telephony headset that features an adjustable microphone, volume control and a compact design that can be worn on either ear, making it ideal for travellers.
The PC 111 works with any VoIP or instant messaging client including Skype, MSN and iChat and doesn't require any drivers to operate. It connects to your PC or Mac via a standard 3.5mm headphone and microphone jack. The only downside is that it becomes your computer's main audio source, much like it were a set of speakers. The benefit of this is that its use isn't just restricted to VoIP or messaging applications - although it isn't ideal for music or gaming as there is only a single earphone.
The PC 111 may be a basic device, but it's quite comfortable to wear. Our only complaint is that the cover's sponge material makes your ear quite hot, even during short listening sessions. Conveniently, the unit can be worn on either year by removing the ear clip, and re-attaching it the other way around. The microphone's plastic hinge glides smoothly, so it should adjust to fit anyone.
The microphone itself is loud and clear and a handy in-line volume control and on/off switch sweetens the deal. These controls can conveniently be clipped to your shirt and the three metre cable means you can sit well away from your PC or notebook and still be able to use the PC 111.
Sound quality is above average; calls using Skype were generally crisp and clear, while the microphone handled outgoing sound well. Keep in mind that the quality of any VoIP call depends on a number of factors out of your control, including the quality of your Internet connection. Overall, we preferred the in-ear PC 121, but this is a matter of personal opinion. Being an over the ear unit, the PC 111 is more susceptible to surrounding noise, while also leaking sound far easier.
Also included is a 2.5mm stereo jack, the same connection used on some mobile phones, meaning the PC 111 can be used for hands-free calling as well. We don't recommend this though, as the extra long cord will soon become tangled and cause some frustration. We'd advise to stick to Bluetooth or dedicated mobile phone headsets for hands-free mobile phone calls.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Telstra’s ‘Free Data Day” sets new record for mobile downloads
- Facebook to begin testing its Internet drone this year
- Consumers let down by broadband speed and performance: ACCAN
- Apple recalls AC wall plug adapters
- This Asus router is a powerful rebuttal to Google OnHub's stark simplicity
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperSA
- CCLead Solutions ArchitectQLD
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Linux/MySQL) 1600803/SA/255Asia
- CCIT Business Analyst- Infrastructure, BABOK- Government BackgrndNSW
- FTNV2 Defence Project ManagerACT
- FTEmbedded Software EngineerWA
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCCrystal reports expertACT
- FTSAP Basis ConsultantVIC
- FTSAP PI ABAP SpecialistVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - End-User ComputingNSW
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- FTDesktop Specialist - Application PackagingACT
- CCCRM DeveloperACT
- CCInfrastructure Solution DesignerACT
- FTNetwork Infrastructure SpecialistSA
- CCHelpdesk OfficersNSW
- FTSystems Engineer | Defence | NV1 / NV2 clearanceACT
- CCProject Manager/ Sr PMO Analyst - Consulting BackgroundNSW
- CCTest Manager - Baseline SecurityVIC
- CCData Analyst / Data ModelerNSW
- FTSolution Architect - Digital (Work From Home 2-3 Days)NSW
- FTAX Lead Technical ConsultantWA
- CCSenior Contracts Officer/Procurement -Governmen BckgrndNSW