Sennheiser OMX 181 headphones
These fashionable Sennheiser ear-plugs not only look great, but offer good sound to boot
- Rich and detailed sound, attractive design
- Takes some effort to insert into ear, not enough accessories
The Sennheiser OMX 181 earphones have a slick design and don't disappoint when it comes to sound and build quality. The in-line volume control on the tangle-free cord is a plus.
Price$ 59.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Sennheiser's OMX 181 earphones have a trendy two-tone colour scheme and sleek, modern styling. The over-the-ear hooks may feel a little uncomfortable at first but offer good long-term comfort and adjustability. Overall this is a comfortable pair of earphones with good sound quality.
At first glance, each of the Sennheiser OMX 181's earphones may look like a a Bluetooth earpiece with a striking red and gold housing.
Sennheiser boasts that no two designs are the same, and you can see that there has been thought and care put into this model. The bendy CustomFlex ear-hook system is nice to have but ultimately unnecessary — we found that the ear-buds were light enough to rest in the ear comfortably. Putting the cushioning pads on each bud is a hassle, but you should only have to do this once.
The 1.2 metre symmetrical braided headphone cable is well designed, and we never had any issues with tangles. This is definitely a useful feature if you listen to your iPod during your daily commute and don't want to spend time fighting to unwrap the cable.
Another welcome feature is the integrated volume control. An easy flick to boost or lower volume is convenient, and we didn't notice any distortion or channel bias when comparing low and high volume levels.
We were a little disappointed by the content of the sales package: beyond one set of earpads, there is not much else provided with the Sennheiser OMX 181. We would have liked to see a soft protective case included in the sales package even though this is a budget pair of headphones. An extra set of earpads would have been a nice inclusion too.
When buying headphones, sound quality is obviously of key importance; the OMX 181 earphones will not let you down in this area. Treble has good levels of detail and no evident distortion at high volumes. The secure fit of the earphones also works wonders for the bass, with consistently strong low-end frequency response. The Sennheiser OMX 181 easily handled the tests of both Fats Domino and Sneaky Sound System, with a sound that is accurate and musical.
We were able to block out a decent amount of outside noise: the earphones don't have the passive isolation of a pair of over-the-ear headphones, but ambient noise is significantly reduced. If you don't want to use in-ear headphones these would be a good choice for blocking out your fellow commuters.
If you need a high-quality pair of earphones then it's worth checking out Sennheiser's OMX 181. The good sound reproduction does not come at the cost of comfort, and the earphones have good isolation as well.
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Parrot's Zik 2.0 headphones include an accelerometer and plenty of noise cancelling
- Kogan opens online shop in New Zealand
- Sennheiser's new DJ range of headphones
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCContract IT Assistant (Network & System Mgt.) 160509/ITA/281Asia
- CCChange Lead/Senior Change Analyst - Transformation projectNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence ConsultantSA
- CCAWS ArchitectNSW
- FTProject Manager | Permanent role in Canberra | NV1/2 clearedACT
- CCTechnical WriterACT
- FTProduction ConsultantVIC
- FTDigital Account Manager - Online MediaNSW
- FTSenior Change Manager - Capital MarketsNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (C++/JAVA/SQL) 160505/SA/971Asia
- CCSnr Technical System Engineer(IBM DB2/WebSphere)160419/STSE/vmtAsia
- CCSenior DevOps ConsultantVIC
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- CCApplication Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCSystem admin with SQL server experience | Defence-wide project | NV1 neededACT
- CCTechnical ExpertVIC
- CCDigital Producer (Part Time 3 Days Per Week)NSW
- CCSenior Oracle DBA- Part time 20 hoursWA
- CCSenior Implementation AnalystNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperSA
- CCFull Stack Developer - Java - Blue Chip CompanyNSW
- FTSystem EngineerACT
- CCPMO Coordinator- Prince2, Project financialsNSW
- CCLead Administrator - Network and SecurityNSW
- CCSystem AnalystNSW