Sennheiser MX 471 earphones
Sennheiser's MX 471 headphones offer amazing audio and an amazing price tag!
- Adjustable earbud size, excellent audio quality, very fair price
- Small amount of sound leakage and background noise
The Sennheiser MX 471 headphones only cost $49.95 and come highly recommended. They offer great audio quality and a good design.
Price$ 49.95 (AUD)
The Sennheiser MX 471 earbud headphones offer superb audio quality and comfort at an affordable price. Each set of ear buds comes with unique gold markings — no two pairs are the same.
The earbuds have been designed to accommodate users with smaller ear canals, such as many women. However, the MX 471 headphones come bundled with foam ear pads, as well as rubber ear sleeves, making the earbuds customisable and able to fit larger ear canals.
The headphones have a nifty cable slider to reduce slack and Sennheiser has also used a symmetrical braided-design cable, which is designed to reduce the chances of the cords tangling. It seemed to work well in our tests, and we didn't have to fiddle or untangle the earbuds from the main cord, which we had to do with Sennheiser's MX90 earbuds, for example. The Sennheiser MX 471's braided cable is better than a standard rubber cable at minimising rustle. We found the cable rustle of the Sennheiser MX 471 to be quite minimal, although it isn't as quiet as a fabric weaved cable, found on the Sennheiser HD 800's headphones.
We really noticed the size difference of the earbuds compared to larger models. The smaller size makes the MX 471 headphones very comfortable to wear, and they are extremely light.
The overall audio quality exceeded our expectations, especially considering the competitive $49.95 price tag. We tested with a variety of music genres and the results were pleasing across the board. The bass didn’t overpower the finer notes in any of the music we listened to, which ranged from hip-hop to rock; to be honest, we’ve never heard so much detail in Al Green’s ‘Let’s Stay Together’ before! Listening to Dangerdoom — a hip-hop duo with an eclectic soundscape — was a great test for the MX 471 headphones. While bass is an integral component of Dangerdoom's beats, there are also a lot of messy symbol samples and high hats that were not covered up by the booming bass. The little earbuds allowed the finer notes and details to slither on down through our ear canals with ease!
Despite the MX 471’s small stature, the overall power and sound quality of the headphones is quite phenomenal. Audio quality is crisp and clear, and the mid tones, treble and bass are balanced perfectly. Unfortunately, they don't block out all background noise; if you wear them on a noisy bus, for example, you might have to listen at a high volume level. But considering they are not designed to be noise-cancelling earphones this is acceptable. There is a small amount of noise leakage, too, but it's not pronounced enough to become a problem for anyone around you.
Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed the Sennheiser MX 471 headphone experience, and at $49.95, we think you’ll be hard pressed to find earbuds with the same level of quality.
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's AirPods could deliver audio with multiple wireless protocols
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Astro A38 review: A staggering price to pay for convenience
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCServer SOE EngineerACT
- TPIT Infrastructure Software Licence SpecialistNSW
- CCVMware AdministratorNSW
- CCService Delivery Analyst - Port MacquarieNSW
- TPSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- TPBusiness Project ManagerNSW
- FTUser Support AnalystNSW
- CCSecurity Specialist - NV1ACT
- TPSAP Data Migration LeadQLD
- TPAutomation TesterQLD
- TPSystem AdministratorQLD
- TPTesting SpecialistQLD
- FTSolution Architect - SecurityVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- FTTeam AssistantVIC
- FTSenior C# DeveloperNSW
- FTProduct LeadVIC
- TPSolution Architect - Integration - Bespoke ProjectQLD
- CCPeoplesoft ConsultantNSW
- FTSecurity Support Manager - Perth BasedNSW
- FTSQL Server DBA- 2016 RDBMS, SSIS, SRS, Certified DBANSW
- CCIntegration ArchitectACT
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Agile and Business ProcessNSW
- TPInfrastructure ArchitectQLD