- Clips mean they are less likely to fall out
- Sound lacking bass and impact, Design means they don't sit properly
The MX70 headphones do not live up to the reputation created by Sennheiser's other earbud products. The clip on design means it is difficult to make the earbuds sit properly and their sound quality leaves quite a bit to be desired.
Price$ 59.95 (AUD)
Sennheiser's new range of earbuds has, for the most part, been quite impressive. Unfortunately their new sports model, the MX70, leaves a little to be desired. Rather than just the traditional earbud design, they also have an over the ear clip which would appear to help keep it in place, but really just gets in the way. The quality of the sound is also a little lacking, meaning ultimately there are better portable headphone purchases to be found elsewhere.
The over-the-ear clips are the chief problem with this model. They are quite comfortable, flexing easily with the shape of your ears, but they just don't seem to lock the earbuds in place. This has a big impact on the sound quality, as the buds aren't correctly positioned. Sennheiser's other new earbuds with the stability wings, such as the MX55 and the MX90 VC have considerably better designs.
Even perfectly seated earbuds usually struggle to produce adequate bass, and when they're resting awkwardly in the outer part of the ear it just magnifies this issue. The MX70s really suffered in this department. The whole sound was quite bright, with tinny highs that dominated the music. Bass, while having decent extension, had almost no power and very little presence, which made our music sound quite flat.
There was quite good separation in the mid range, although the highs were a little harsh and there was some noticeable distortion in the upper mids at certain points. The soundstage was quite limited, but that is a general earbud issue and thus Sennheiser cannot really be blamed. The overall sound wasn't as satisfying as some of their other earbud offerings, and fell far short of their over-the-ear models.
We also had some issues with the design and aesthetic. The MX70 comes in a neon green colour scheme which looks a little bright for our liking. They are well constructed, with a strong, flexible, rubberised band and are reasonably comfortable by over the ear standards, but they suffer the aforementioned positioning problems which really have a big impact.
Sound leakage levels were about normal for a pair of earbuds, made slightly worse by the fact that a proper seal with the ear canal is not achieved, allowing more sound to escape.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- Subaru XV 2017 review
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- CCApplication PackagerNSW
- FTWeb Support LeadQLD
- TPTechnical ManagerNSW
- CCAutomation Developer - LinuxNSW
- TPSenior Performance TesterQLD
- TPEngineer Desktop DevelopmentVIC
- CCSystems EngineerACT
- FTSecurity Monitoring SpecialistVIC
- CCPerformance AnalystQLD
- FTHadoop Service AdministratorNSW
- FTCitrix ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Automation Test AnalystNSW
- FTCloud Infrastructure Specialist - Azure/AWSNSW
- CCChange LeadNSW
- FTSenior IOS DeveloperNSW
- FTLevel 2 Technical Support OfficerQLD
- TPSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Marketing Analyst | Immediate startVIC
- FTSeeking all Java Developers!ACT
- CCVMWare Automation ArchitectACT
- TPSolution Architect - Integration - Bespoke ProjectQLD
- FTAEM Architect - Blue Chip organisationNSW
- FTL&D ConsultantVIC
- TPAgile Implementation LeadNSW