Sennheiser MM 50 for iPhone
An ideal upgrade for your iPhone
- Subtle and sophisticated design, comfort, push-to-talk button, reasonable sound quality
- Incoming audio quality of calls could be better
These headphones are an ideal replacement for the standard Apple headphones that come with the iPhone.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
Boasting a microphone and a call button to answer incoming calls, and featuring an in-ear design designed to minimise background noise, with the MM 50 Sennheiser has provided an ideal set of headphones to replace the standard Apple headphones packaged with the iPhone.
With the launch of the iPhone 3G just around the corner, there is set to be an explosion in the number of iPhone accessories available in Australia. The MM 50 is one of the first and it represents decent value for money.
In terms of design, these headphones are similar to the CX 300, with the exception of the black colour scheme. They won't attract attention, but offer a sophisticated look thanks to the black cord and ear buds. Each ear bud is finished with a brushed edge. They are ear-canal headphones and Sennheiser has included three different sized ear sleeves (S, M, L) to ensure an optimal fit. Comfort is good — the headphones are relatively unnoticeable, even during lengthy listening spells.
The best feature, aside from the audio quality, is the push-to-talk button, which allows you to answer and reject incoming calls. When a call comes in, the music dims and your ring tone plays through the headphones. A simple press of the push-to-talk button answers the call. The button can also be used to control music playback — simply press the button once to play or pause the current track, or twice to skip to the next track.
Although it's convenient to be able to answer calls through these earphones, the quality of calls isn't as good as we expected. Incoming sound was distant and sometimes distorted, even when we had excellent mobile coverage. However, outgoing sound is fair and none of our callers complained. The sound for voice calls isn't as good as the iPhone 3G, for example.
The headphones produce reasonable but not outstanding sound. Bass in particular is excellent without ruining the clarity in higher ranges. Mid-range isn't as detailed as we'd have liked, though at this price point it's unreasonable to expect much better. Although audiophiles won't be excited, ordinary consumers should be, as these headphones improve the sound of your iPhone tenfold.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 2 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 3 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 4 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 5 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Sony's Xperia Z5, Z5 Compact go on sale next week at Australia's largest telcos
- Samsung’s Milk Music goes premium for $4 a month
- Microsoft makes serious smartphone play with Lumia 950 range
- Hands on: Microsoft's Surface Book is a stunner as both a tablet and a laptop
- Microsoft to live-stream Tuesday's Surface Pro 4, Lumia event
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTDigital ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW