Sennheiser HD 238 Precision headphones
These small headphones are well made but need equalisation to get the most out of them
- Good build quality, comfortable ear-cups and headband
- Slightly distant mid-bass, "leaky" open nature
Sennheiser's HD 238 Precision headphones are well made and comfortable. Sound quality is good, albeit with a flat frequency response that may be missing some of the musicality of other Sennheiser models. The headphones are nonetheless full of detail.
Price$ 199.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- DW Base Unit to USB cable 17.00
Sennheiser's HD 238 Precision headphones are made with good quality components and are comfortable to wear in almost all conditions. The headphones have detailed sound reproduction but we found they seemed flatter than other models, requiring some equaliser adjustment for rich audio.
The Sennheiser HD 238 Precision headphones are made from plastic, but the quality of construction is excellent. The headband only has a small amount of flex when twisted, and the ear-cups feel solid and dense. Adjusting the headphones to suit any size of head is a breeze — the headband has a telescopic action to ensure a perfect fit, while the ear-cups themselves have a small amount of vertical and horizontal swivel motion.
The ear-cups have a soft velvet finish, with leatherette on half the pad. Despite looking like the height of '80s fashion the ear-pads are very comfortable; even after protracted wearing we noticed no fatigue or discomfort. It helps that the headphones weigh a mere 286g, and the headband has a small fabric-lined cushion to distribute force evenly. A 1.4m cable is attached, so you can keep your portable media device in your pocket. A carrying case is included for long-term storage.
Since it's an open, on-ear pair of headphones, there is significant "bleeding" of sound. While this isn't a problem if you're alone or in an environment where those around you won't be annoyed, turning up the volume while on a train or in an office might raise the ire of anyone nearby.
Open headphones do have a significant advantage over their closed counterparts though — better acoustic capabilities and therefore generally better sound quality. The Sennheiser HD 238 Precision headphones offer good audio with significant depth and detail, but a relatively flat frequency response means they could benefit from some equalisation . Without any equalisation, treble is detailed and clear. Mid-range and bass sounds are equally detailed, but we found them a little recessed and lacking emphasis.
Sennheiser's HD 238 Precision headphones are relatively small and portable, offer good sound quality and musical detail, and are comfortable enough to wear for long periods of time without irritation. They need some audio adjustment to really come into their own.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Tablets replace books for kids back at school
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Australian Government issues security warning to Apple users
- Samsung eyes new enterprise opportunities in Australia
- Kids get their own travel app
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - ComplianceVIC
- FTSystems Engineer / Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTJunior Project Manager | Permanent role in Canberra | NV1/2 clearedACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Enterprise Software SolutionNSW
- CCSystems AnalystQLD
- CCIBM ESB Developer (Junior to mid level role)NSW
- CCSharePoint DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Business ConsultantNSW
- CCHelpdesk SupportNSW
- CCTechnical Business Analyst (Telecommunications) / Melb CBDVIC
- CCPega BPM Developer / Configurer - 12 months contractACT
- CCTest ManagerQLD
- CCMaster SchedulerVIC
- CCSystem AdminVIC
- CCData Migration SpecialistQLD
- FTApplication Support AnalystVIC
- FTJava Web Development OpportunityVIC
- FTSystems Administrator/Engineer | Projects & BAU | Coastal Newcastle NSWWA
- CCMVC .Net Developer- Hurstville NSW 2220NSW
- CCEXCEL Guru / Data AdministratorNSW
- CCImplementation ManagerVIC
- CCProject Manager- Wealth and AdviceNSW
- CCWeb Content WriterSA
- CCJava DeveloperVIC