Sennheiser HD 238 Precision headphones
These small headphones are well made but need equalisation to get the most out of them
- Good build quality, comfortable ear-cups and headband
- Slightly distant mid-bass, "leaky" open nature
Sennheiser's HD 238 Precision headphones are well made and comfortable. Sound quality is good, albeit with a flat frequency response that may be missing some of the musicality of other Sennheiser models. The headphones are nonetheless full of detail.
Price$ 199.95 (AUD)
Sennheiser's HD 238 Precision headphones are made with good quality components and are comfortable to wear in almost all conditions. The headphones have detailed sound reproduction but we found they seemed flatter than other models, requiring some equaliser adjustment for rich audio.
The Sennheiser HD 238 Precision headphones are made from plastic, but the quality of construction is excellent. The headband only has a small amount of flex when twisted, and the ear-cups feel solid and dense. Adjusting the headphones to suit any size of head is a breeze — the headband has a telescopic action to ensure a perfect fit, while the ear-cups themselves have a small amount of vertical and horizontal swivel motion.
The ear-cups have a soft velvet finish, with leatherette on half the pad. Despite looking like the height of '80s fashion the ear-pads are very comfortable; even after protracted wearing we noticed no fatigue or discomfort. It helps that the headphones weigh a mere 286g, and the headband has a small fabric-lined cushion to distribute force evenly. A 1.4m cable is attached, so you can keep your portable media device in your pocket. A carrying case is included for long-term storage.
Since it's an open, on-ear pair of headphones, there is significant "bleeding" of sound. While this isn't a problem if you're alone or in an environment where those around you won't be annoyed, turning up the volume while on a train or in an office might raise the ire of anyone nearby.
Open headphones do have a significant advantage over their closed counterparts though — better acoustic capabilities and therefore generally better sound quality. The Sennheiser HD 238 Precision headphones offer good audio with significant depth and detail, but a relatively flat frequency response means they could benefit from some equalisation . Without any equalisation, treble is detailed and clear. Mid-range and bass sounds are equally detailed, but we found them a little recessed and lacking emphasis.
Sennheiser's HD 238 Precision headphones are relatively small and portable, offer good sound quality and musical detail, and are comfortable enough to wear for long periods of time without irritation. They need some audio adjustment to really come into their own.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® Portable SSD
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Settings in iOS 10: Every notable change you need to know
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPIteration ManagerNSW
- TPIT Project CoordinatorVIC
- CCCloud Solution Architect - Financial Services - Continuous IntegrationNSW
- CCSAP/ Nakisa Implementation ConsultantQLD
- CCTest LeadQLD
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- TPImplementation Business Partner - Business ModernisationNSW
- TPService Desk ManagerVIC
- CCCommercial Contract AdministratorACT
- FTEnterprise Account ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Technical Consultant - SQLACT
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCProject Manager TelecommunicationsQLD
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager - Permanent OpportunityNSW
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)NSW
- TPTest AnalystQLD
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- FTFull Stack DeveloperQLD
- TPHRIS Business AnalystQLD
- FTTechnical Consultant - SQL Server programming skillsACT
- FTEnterprise ArchitectQLD
- FTWeb Developer/ReportsNSW
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | Enterprise Information SharingQLD