Sennheiser HD 238 Precision headphones
These small headphones are well made but need equalisation to get the most out of them
- Good build quality, comfortable ear-cups and headband
- Slightly distant mid-bass, "leaky" open nature
Sennheiser's HD 238 Precision headphones are well made and comfortable. Sound quality is good, albeit with a flat frequency response that may be missing some of the musicality of other Sennheiser models. The headphones are nonetheless full of detail.
Price$ 199.95 (AUD)
Sennheiser's HD 238 Precision headphones are made with good quality components and are comfortable to wear in almost all conditions. The headphones have detailed sound reproduction but we found they seemed flatter than other models, requiring some equaliser adjustment for rich audio.
The Sennheiser HD 238 Precision headphones are made from plastic, but the quality of construction is excellent. The headband only has a small amount of flex when twisted, and the ear-cups feel solid and dense. Adjusting the headphones to suit any size of head is a breeze — the headband has a telescopic action to ensure a perfect fit, while the ear-cups themselves have a small amount of vertical and horizontal swivel motion.
The ear-cups have a soft velvet finish, with leatherette on half the pad. Despite looking like the height of '80s fashion the ear-pads are very comfortable; even after protracted wearing we noticed no fatigue or discomfort. It helps that the headphones weigh a mere 286g, and the headband has a small fabric-lined cushion to distribute force evenly. A 1.4m cable is attached, so you can keep your portable media device in your pocket. A carrying case is included for long-term storage.
Since it's an open, on-ear pair of headphones, there is significant "bleeding" of sound. While this isn't a problem if you're alone or in an environment where those around you won't be annoyed, turning up the volume while on a train or in an office might raise the ire of anyone nearby.
Open headphones do have a significant advantage over their closed counterparts though — better acoustic capabilities and therefore generally better sound quality. The Sennheiser HD 238 Precision headphones offer good audio with significant depth and detail, but a relatively flat frequency response means they could benefit from some equalisation . Without any equalisation, treble is detailed and clear. Mid-range and bass sounds are equally detailed, but we found them a little recessed and lacking emphasis.
Sennheiser's HD 238 Precision headphones are relatively small and portable, offer good sound quality and musical detail, and are comfortable enough to wear for long periods of time without irritation. They need some audio adjustment to really come into their own.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 2 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 3 LED Lenser P7R Professional Torch review
- 4 Aftershokz Wireless Trekz Titanium Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headphones review
- 5 Review: Periscope users rejoice with Feiyu’s G4 Plus 3-Axis Gimbal for Smartphone video
Latest News Articles
- Settings in iOS 10: Every notable change you need to know
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCBusiness Analyst with change management experienceACT
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTInfrastructure Solutions ArchitectACT
- FTIT Pre-Sales EngineerSA
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- FTTechnical Support Engineer | Cloud | Automation techsNSW
- FTCustomer Solutions Engineer | Voice | Data | TelcoNSW
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTScrum Master | High Profile FintechNSW
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- CCBusiness ArchitectNSW
- FTMDM EngineerNSW
- CCInformatica Developer (MDM)NSW
- FTLinux Systems AdministratorNZ
- FTNetApp Storage ConsultantWA
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (IT Security) 160928/JP/653Asia
- CCFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- CCeCommerce Project ManagerNSW
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- FTTeam Leader Full Stack, Python, FinanceNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCAcquisition Marketing Executive - B2BNSW