- Interesting story, great puzzle mechanics.
- Gets a bit 'samey' after a while.
Amidst many bigger and over-hyped releases, Crush deserves to be discovered. We highly recommend this hidden little gem of a game.
Price$ 79.95 (AUD)
Crush is one of those rare titles that delivers on nearly all of its ambitious promises. When a game boasts of mind-bending 3D puzzle-platforming coupled with a deep and intriguing backstory, most gamers expect at least one of those aspects to go oh so horribly wrong.
Luckily, Crush is one of those rare titles that actually bolsters your faith that a high-concept games like this can be executed properly.
You Gotta See It To Believe It
Crush's gameplay has to be seen to be fully appreciated. You play an insomniac named Danny who turns to a mad scientist named Dr. Reubens for a cure. Dr. Reubens proposes to use a virtual reality-style device called C.R.U.S.H. that allows Danny to run around a projected representation of his brain. Danny's brain consists of a standard-looking 3D platforming environment that would be completely ordinary were it not for his ability to "Crush" the 3D world into a 2D one in order to reach each stage's goal.
The "Crush" concept sounds simple, but you quickly realize the depth of this mechanic. Platforms in the background that seem over a hundred yards away become immediately accessible with a simple push of the L button. The myriad of ways that Zoe Mode has come up with to use the 2D-to-3D perspective shift will blow your mind, which -- corny as it might sound -- really fits in with the whole psychoanalysis theme of the game. Additionally the game provides a decent challenge with more than enough stages and collectibles to occupy you for a long time. The game may begin to wear thin after extended play sessions as you can only solve so many puzzles in a row before they begin to blur together. However, this is where the story comes into play; you'll still want to come back to play the game, if for no other reason than to find out why Danny has so much trouble sleeping.
Danny's tale of insomnia unfolds in a series of still frame hand-drawn cutscenes with voice-overs. The voice acting is superb, as is the game's dry sense of humor. Some of the cutscenes pop up at regular intervals, but you will have to earn the vast majority during the course of a level in the form of a hidden jigsaw puzzle piece. The cutscenes are good -- not to mention funny -- enough that you'll put the extra effort in to track them down in most levels.
Crush does a great job of turning buzzwords into true and terrific gameplay. A solid narrative in a puzzle game is a success in its own right; the fact that it's a whole lot of fun almost seems like a bonus. If you're a puzzle fan whose PSP has been starving for cerebral action since you grew tired of Lumines then you'd be well served to pick up Crush.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- You can download Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS and Android today
- Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes looks sharp, but will it survive the freemium transition?
- Nintendo's bringing Super Mario Run to Android in March, but Fire Emblem's coming first
- The Switch is a mix of Nintendo's past consoles
- Dead Rising 4 impressions: 'Tis the season to BBQ zombies with your flaming sword
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPSenior Java Developer / DevOps - ContractQLD
- CCSenior consultant/ Solution ArchitectNSW
- TPMobile DeveloperWA
- CCProject SpecialistVIC
- FTPerformance TesterACT
- TPSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Web DeveloperNSW
- FTNetwork Solution ArchitectVIC
- CCDeployment EngineerSA
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerACT
- FTSenior Systems AdministratorWA
- TPIT Project Manager - Office relocationVIC
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCSenior Networks Specialist - DNS PlatformVIC
- TPSAP Helpdesk SupportACT
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- FTDigital Strategist - Global Consulting FirmACT
- CCProject Manager - Adelaide basedVIC
- TPMid-Level Java DeveloperNSW
- CCUser ResearcherNSW
- TPProduct Owner - Cloud SolutionsQLD
- CCData Analyst - AutoHaulWA
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)NSW
- FTSalesforce Technical Consultant/Architect Global IT Company - SydneyNSW
- TPInstructional Designer | DETQLD