Company of Heroes 2: The Western Front Armies (PC)
Expansion pack adds two new armies to the fray
- New armies are fun to use.
- Well-balanced new maps.
- No single player campaign
- A bit pricey
Even with the absence of a new single player campaign, Western Front Armies does a good job of expanding the Company of Heroes 2 multiplayer experience.
Price$ 29.00 (AUD)
The original Company of Heroes received a pair of expansion packs, so it was only a matter of time before the sequel got one as well. This time, however, the multiplayer experience and not the single player campaign has been extended.
The Western Front Armies is a standalone expansion that does not require the original game to play. Installing numerous expansion packs on top of a game can be a bit unwieldy, so it’s nice to be able to install Western Front Armies without needing the original game.
The new armies
Company of Heroes 2 focused on the Russians’ fight against the Nazis during World War II, and the Germans are represented with their Oberkommando West army in Western Front Armies. The other new addition is the US army, which comes with different attributed to the other forces in the game.
The Oberkommando is a mechanised force that uses a supply truck as its forward operating base. Instead of upgrading and reinforcing a standard, stationary headquarters, the supply truck can be repositioned and deployed as a command centre anywhere on your territory.
The focus of the US army is on infantry and the ability to switch out their weapons on the fly. Depending on the battle conditions, infantry can be easily called back and armed with such weapons as rifles and bazookas.
A team experience
In addition to the two new armies, Western Front Armies comes with new multiplayer maps. Like most maps in Company of Heroes 2, they are well-balanced and provide a decent challenge when playing against other people online.
The multiplayer focus of Western Front Armies may come as a disappointment to fans who were expecting a new single player campaign. It would have been nice to have used the two new armies and maps during scripted missions.
The expansion is reasonably priced, but some might find it pricey for an expansion that only contains new multiplayer armies and maps. The retail edition has both armies, but there is the option to buy them individually as DLC.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® Portable SSD
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- You can download Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS and Android today
- Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes looks sharp, but will it survive the freemium transition?
- Nintendo's bringing Super Mario Run to Android in March, but Fire Emblem's coming first
- The Switch is a mix of Nintendo's past consoles
- Dead Rising 4 impressions: 'Tis the season to BBQ zombies with your flaming sword
PCW Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBid ManagerVIC
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- TPProject CoordinatorNSW
- TPInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Infrastructure EngineerNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TPDatabase Integration SpecialistVIC
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)WA
- FTDeveloper - XML & JavaVIC
- CCFront-End DeveloperQLD
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- FTPerformance TesterACT
- TPOrganisational Change Manager - ICT Services TransformationQLD
- CCTelecommunication Operations SpecialistTAS
- CCDeployment EngineerSA
- FTNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- FTSystem AdministratorNSW
- TPAgile CoachNSW
- CCSenior Networks Specialist - DNS PlatformVIC
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- TPDesktop Support OfficerQLD
- CCService Desk Analyst - TelcoTAS
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerQLD
- CCERP Business Analyst (Time Capture/ Management) - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCSolution Architect - VMwareVIC