Company of Heroes 2: The Western Front Armies (PC)
Expansion pack adds two new armies to the fray
- New armies are fun to use.
- Well-balanced new maps.
- No single player campaign
- A bit pricey
Even with the absence of a new single player campaign, Western Front Armies does a good job of expanding the Company of Heroes 2 multiplayer experience.
Price$ 29.00 (AUD)
The original Company of Heroes received a pair of expansion packs, so it was only a matter of time before the sequel got one as well. This time, however, the multiplayer experience and not the single player campaign has been extended.
The Western Front Armies is a standalone expansion that does not require the original game to play. Installing numerous expansion packs on top of a game can be a bit unwieldy, so it’s nice to be able to install Western Front Armies without needing the original game.
The new armies
Company of Heroes 2 focused on the Russians’ fight against the Nazis during World War II, and the Germans are represented with their Oberkommando West army in Western Front Armies. The other new addition is the US army, which comes with different attributed to the other forces in the game.
The Oberkommando is a mechanised force that uses a supply truck as its forward operating base. Instead of upgrading and reinforcing a standard, stationary headquarters, the supply truck can be repositioned and deployed as a command centre anywhere on your territory.
The focus of the US army is on infantry and the ability to switch out their weapons on the fly. Depending on the battle conditions, infantry can be easily called back and armed with such weapons as rifles and bazookas.
A team experience
In addition to the two new armies, Western Front Armies comes with new multiplayer maps. Like most maps in Company of Heroes 2, they are well-balanced and provide a decent challenge when playing against other people online.
The multiplayer focus of Western Front Armies may come as a disappointment to fans who were expecting a new single player campaign. It would have been nice to have used the two new armies and maps during scripted missions.
The expansion is reasonably priced, but some might find it pricey for an expansion that only contains new multiplayer armies and maps. The retail edition has both armies, but there is the option to buy them individually as DLC.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 2 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
- 3 Playing chicken with a Tesla Model S
- 4 Audi TT (2015) review: A smarter take on the sports coupe
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Angry Birds 2 is the 'sequel' you've been waiting for
- Rising Thunder is a PC-exclusive robot brawler built by Street Fighter talent
- Nintendo's President Iwata's death comes as firm tries to move to mobile
- Batman: Arkham Knight: How bad are the issues? Pretty bad.
- Sony doubles PlayStation 4 storage ahead of big game releases
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- FTSenior Network EngineerNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW