Company of Heroes 2: The Western Front Armies (PC)
Expansion pack adds two new armies to the fray
- New armies are fun to use.
- Well-balanced new maps.
- No single player campaign
- A bit pricey
Even with the absence of a new single player campaign, Western Front Armies does a good job of expanding the Company of Heroes 2 multiplayer experience.
Price$ 29.00 (AUD)
The original Company of Heroes received a pair of expansion packs, so it was only a matter of time before the sequel got one as well. This time, however, the multiplayer experience and not the single player campaign has been extended.
The Western Front Armies is a standalone expansion that does not require the original game to play. Installing numerous expansion packs on top of a game can be a bit unwieldy, so it’s nice to be able to install Western Front Armies without needing the original game.
The new armies
Company of Heroes 2 focused on the Russians’ fight against the Nazis during World War II, and the Germans are represented with their Oberkommando West army in Western Front Armies. The other new addition is the US army, which comes with different attributed to the other forces in the game.
The Oberkommando is a mechanised force that uses a supply truck as its forward operating base. Instead of upgrading and reinforcing a standard, stationary headquarters, the supply truck can be repositioned and deployed as a command centre anywhere on your territory.
The focus of the US army is on infantry and the ability to switch out their weapons on the fly. Depending on the battle conditions, infantry can be easily called back and armed with such weapons as rifles and bazookas.
A team experience
In addition to the two new armies, Western Front Armies comes with new multiplayer maps. Like most maps in Company of Heroes 2, they are well-balanced and provide a decent challenge when playing against other people online.
The multiplayer focus of Western Front Armies may come as a disappointment to fans who were expecting a new single player campaign. It would have been nice to have used the two new armies and maps during scripted missions.
The expansion is reasonably priced, but some might find it pricey for an expansion that only contains new multiplayer armies and maps. The retail edition has both armies, but there is the option to buy them individually as DLC.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Report: Microsoft could debut Xbox One game streaming stick and 'Xbox TV' at E3
- Asus ROG teases a massive gaming notebook that outperforms Titan X
- Review - Total War: Warhammer
- Total War: Warhammer DirectX 12 performance preview: Radeon reigns supreme
- Microsoft brings Halo 5's map editor to Windows 10 for free, but stays quiet about Halo 5
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSkilled Sitecore / .NET DeveloperNSW
- FTTechnical Team Lead - .Net / SharePointACT
- CCSystem Engineer - Server Migration experienceNSW
- FTIT Support - Level 1NSW
- FTAX Lead Technical ConsultantNSW
- FTVMWare Infrastructure EngineerVIC
- CCInfrastructure and Cloud Project ManagerVIC
- CCCCB & MDM ConsultantNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (MS SQL Server/C#.NET)160520/AP/vmtAsia
- FTApplication Support EngineerVIC
- FTService Desk AnaylstNSW
- FTPerformance Test AnalystNSW
- FTAgile CoachNSW
- CCQA OfficerACT
- CCBI/Information/Data/Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTNV1, NV2 Network Engineers | Permanent role with diverse Defence projectsACT
- CCChange Manager - SAP FinanceNSW
- CCData Center ArchitectNSW
- CCiOS Developer x 2NSW
- CCNetwork Consultant - Bandwidth Assessment | 3 month contract into Defence | NV1+ACT
- CCAWS Developer/LeadNSW
- CCSnr Technical System Engineer (IBM/Oracle/SQL) 160524/STSE/vmtAsia
- CCSr. Net DeveloperVIC
- FTJunior Web Developer | CBD | Digital AgencyVIC
- FTNetwork EngineerNSW