Company of Heroes 2: The Western Front Armies (PC)
Expansion pack adds two new armies to the fray
- New armies are fun to use.
- Well-balanced new maps.
- No single player campaign
- A bit pricey
Even with the absence of a new single player campaign, Western Front Armies does a good job of expanding the Company of Heroes 2 multiplayer experience.
Price$ 29.00 (AUD)
The original Company of Heroes received a pair of expansion packs, so it was only a matter of time before the sequel got one as well. This time, however, the multiplayer experience and not the single player campaign has been extended.
The Western Front Armies is a standalone expansion that does not require the original game to play. Installing numerous expansion packs on top of a game can be a bit unwieldy, so it’s nice to be able to install Western Front Armies without needing the original game.
The new armies
Company of Heroes 2 focused on the Russians’ fight against the Nazis during World War II, and the Germans are represented with their Oberkommando West army in Western Front Armies. The other new addition is the US army, which comes with different attributed to the other forces in the game.
The Oberkommando is a mechanised force that uses a supply truck as its forward operating base. Instead of upgrading and reinforcing a standard, stationary headquarters, the supply truck can be repositioned and deployed as a command centre anywhere on your territory.
The focus of the US army is on infantry and the ability to switch out their weapons on the fly. Depending on the battle conditions, infantry can be easily called back and armed with such weapons as rifles and bazookas.
A team experience
In addition to the two new armies, Western Front Armies comes with new multiplayer maps. Like most maps in Company of Heroes 2, they are well-balanced and provide a decent challenge when playing against other people online.
The multiplayer focus of Western Front Armies may come as a disappointment to fans who were expecting a new single player campaign. It would have been nice to have used the two new armies and maps during scripted missions.
The expansion is reasonably priced, but some might find it pricey for an expansion that only contains new multiplayer armies and maps. The retail edition has both armies, but there is the option to buy them individually as DLC.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- SurveyMonkey: Pokémon Go popularity may have already peaked
- Pokémon Go and the demon-haunted world
- 8 insider tips to help you become a Pokémon master
- Awesome: Hitman's next elusive assassination target is Gary "Wildcard" Busey
- Microsoft's slimmed-down Xbox One S launches August 2
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCGuidewire Developer - Policy Center 8NSW
- FTSystems Administrator, Linux, Networking, AWSNSW
- CCBusiness Intelligence Developer - Initial 3mth ContractVIC
- FTOPEN_ASAP_Configuration ManagerACT
- FTCitrix SpecialistACT
- FTNV2 Defence Project ManagerACT
- CCCRM Technical Consultant / DeveloperNSW
- FTDesktop Support Engineer (Renewable Contract)Asia
- CCSystems AdministratorSA
- CCDW/BI DeveloperACT
- CCAccounts Reconciliation Officer/ AdministratorNSW
- CCHelpdesk OfficersNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL/Web) 160719/P/741Asia
- FTSenior Manager (Business Data Management)NSW
- CCDesktop Support AnalystNSW
- FTPortfolio Governance AnalystVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (HTML/JAVA/UNIX) 160804/AP/172Asia
- CCSoftware Developer- CobolACT
- CCProject Manager- Infrastructure and App Roles- Gov BackgroundNSW
- CCProject Manager - Change/Transformation/Project DeliveryNSW
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- CCNetwork DesignerNSW
- CC.NET DeveloperQLD
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/SQL) 160721/AP/624Asia