Seagate FreeAgent Theater+ media streamer
This media streamer integrates well with Seagate portable hard drives
- Network streaming works well, good integration with FreeAgent hard drives
- No integrated Wi-Fi, bland interface, no front panel controls
If you already have a FreeAgent Go portable hard drive, the Seagate FreeAgent Theater+ media streamer is a good accompaniment. For other users it's still a reasonable choice but it loses its competitive edge.
Price$ 219.00 (AUD)
Seagate's FreeAgent Theater+ is a media streamer designed to work in conjunction with the company's FreeAgent Go portable hard drives. While it can be used with any USB flash drive or portable hard drive, its advantage lies in its FreeAgent integration. A 10/100 Ethernet connection transforms the device from a simple media player into a more fully featured video streaming platform.
Like the Seagate FreeAgent Theater before it, the Seagate FreeAgent Theater+ has a glossy black finish and a squat design. It will fit unobtrusively next to your television; you could also pack it in a bag and take it travelling if you wanted. We don't like the fact that there are no buttons on the front of the unit, making the remote control necessary for all operations. Thankfully it is simply laid out and easy to use.
The FreeAgent Theater+ has an integrated slide-in dock for FreeAgent Go drives, but other portable hard drives won't fit properly. Two extra USB host ports (front and rear) allow any other drives to be connected, and the Ethernet connection means you can stream media without a USB device connected; there's no integrated wireless networking. HDMI was our choice of A/V connector, but the FreeAgent Theater+ also features component video, composite A/V and optical digital audio outputs.
The interface of the FreeAgent Theater+ is a mixed bag. On a high-definition television it is clean and simple, but we found the interface's white-on-black colour scheme bland and the icons too small to easily see from 10 feet away. Setting up the wired Ethernet connection was a breeze, and we were easily able to stream 1080p MKV videos from a networked PC. The Seagate FreeAgent Theater+ has extensive support for videos, audio files and photos in a variety of formats, including FLAC music support as well as AVCHD video playback off high-definition digital video cameras. We noticed that our WMV HD test files failed to render properly, but this format is not widely used and isn't officially supported.
The Seagate FreeAgent Theater+ is a competent media streamer — it's simple to use, has reasonable format support and is small and portable. If you've got a FreeAgent Go portable hard drive it's a great purchase, but users of other USB hard drives may want to consider other options.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- Subaru XV 2017 review
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectSA
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPService Desk AnalystVIC
- FTSCCM AdministratorACT
- FTSeeking all Java Developers!SA
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Customer Communications/DocumentationNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst - DSITIQLD
- FTJava Development Lead/ / Senior Java DeveloperVIC
- FTEnterprise ArchitectQLD
- FTSenior Capacity Planner | Contract through till DecemberVIC
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- FTSystem Engineer - Level 2NSW
- FTPeoplesoft Functional Consultant - Campus SolutionsNSW
- FTInfrastructure Designer - Citrix AWSNSW
- CCPega TesterVIC
- FTSales/Account Manager - Education SectorNSW
- CCService Desk AnalystNSW
- PTMobile App DeveloperVIC
- FTNetwork Security AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPProgram ArchitectQLD
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- TP.NET DeveloperWA