Seagate FreeAgent Theater+ media streamer
This media streamer integrates well with Seagate portable hard drives
- Network streaming works well, good integration with FreeAgent hard drives
- No integrated Wi-Fi, bland interface, no front panel controls
If you already have a FreeAgent Go portable hard drive, the Seagate FreeAgent Theater+ media streamer is a good accompaniment. For other users it's still a reasonable choice but it loses its competitive edge.
Price$ 219.00 (AUD)
Seagate's FreeAgent Theater+ is a media streamer designed to work in conjunction with the company's FreeAgent Go portable hard drives. While it can be used with any USB flash drive or portable hard drive, its advantage lies in its FreeAgent integration. A 10/100 Ethernet connection transforms the device from a simple media player into a more fully featured video streaming platform.
Like the Seagate FreeAgent Theater before it, the Seagate FreeAgent Theater+ has a glossy black finish and a squat design. It will fit unobtrusively next to your television; you could also pack it in a bag and take it travelling if you wanted. We don't like the fact that there are no buttons on the front of the unit, making the remote control necessary for all operations. Thankfully it is simply laid out and easy to use.
The FreeAgent Theater+ has an integrated slide-in dock for FreeAgent Go drives, but other portable hard drives won't fit properly. Two extra USB host ports (front and rear) allow any other drives to be connected, and the Ethernet connection means you can stream media without a USB device connected; there's no integrated wireless networking. HDMI was our choice of A/V connector, but the FreeAgent Theater+ also features component video, composite A/V and optical digital audio outputs.
The interface of the FreeAgent Theater+ is a mixed bag. On a high-definition television it is clean and simple, but we found the interface's white-on-black colour scheme bland and the icons too small to easily see from 10 feet away. Setting up the wired Ethernet connection was a breeze, and we were easily able to stream 1080p MKV videos from a networked PC. The Seagate FreeAgent Theater+ has extensive support for videos, audio files and photos in a variety of formats, including FLAC music support as well as AVCHD video playback off high-definition digital video cameras. We noticed that our WMV HD test files failed to render properly, but this format is not widely used and isn't officially supported.
The Seagate FreeAgent Theater+ is a competent media streamer — it's simple to use, has reasonable format support and is small and portable. If you've got a FreeAgent Go portable hard drive it's a great purchase, but users of other USB hard drives may want to consider other options.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Surface Pro 4
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPFront End DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Web DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior .Net Developer with Silverlight proficiencyVIC
- CCProject ManagerSA
- FTSupport and Operations Team LeadNSW
- CCFinance Analyst/ Project SpecialistVIC
- FT.Net DeveloperVIC
- CCUser ResearcherNSW
- FTSystem AdministratorNSW
- FTDeveloper/ ProgrammerSA
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- CCLevel 2 IT Service DeskQLD
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)VIC
- CCADABAS Natural DeveloperNSW
- CCProject Manager - Adelaide basedVIC
- CCERP Business Analyst (Time Capture/ Management) - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCLevel 2 Helpdesk Support (CISCO)QLD
- FTCustomer Support ManagerSA
- CCNetIQ Development & SupportNSW
- FTSenior Learning Specialist - Global OrganisationQLD
- CCData Analyst - AutoHaulWA
- TPSenior Applications Support OfficerQLD
- CCManager AnalyticsNSW
- CCProject / Portfolio SchedulerNSW