Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Net external hard drive
Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Net: Dual-Drive Dock With USB and Social Media Ties
- Easy to set up, twin dock for Seagate's portable GoFlex drives
- Only one USB port for additional drives
Seagate's FreeAgent GoFlex Net external hard drive lets you access files anywhere and share them via social networks and the Web.
Price$ 159.00 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 1 store)
- GoFlex Satellite HDD 500G Black (Avail: In Stock) 216.00
Seagate's FreeAgent GoFlex Net gives you supereasy access to your files from any Internet connection, along with the ability to share them with others.
The GoFlex Net has two 2.5-inch SATA hard drive bays (designed to accommodate the Seagate GoFlex portable hard drive) and a single USB 2.0 port for attaching USB drives. Seagate sells GoFlex drives that fit snugly into the dock, but the connectors inside are standard SATA and I successfully connected several non-Seagate drives to the ports. In fact, you should be able to use any 2.5-inch SATA drive that has separate data and power connectors, though you might have to remove it from its case first.
Setting up the GoFlex Net's is very simple. Plug the unit into the wall and into the router, go online to Pogoplug.com, create an account or sign in to an existing one, and select Activate New Device. Previously, users had to enter a serial number found on the bottom of their Pogoplug-technology product, but now (in most cases) the devices appear automatically.
The Pogoplug online portal lets you copy, delete, download, and upload files--basically, anything that you can do with your files at home. There's even an online viewer for perusing images, Microsoft Office files, and other content without having to fire up a local application--handy in Internet cafes that offer only browsing. Seagate includes software for file syncing, too. And the GoFlex Net works with social networking services and portable devices like the iPhone and the iPad. Pogoplug doesn't support local network administration or access, as the Ctera Networks CloudPlug and the Iomega iConnect Wireless Data Station do, but it allows you to share files online more easily than with CloudPlug.
Many users will appreciate being able to plug SATA drives directly into a Pogo-enabled dock. My only complaint is it has only one USB port, though you can work around that (as I did) with a powered USB hub.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 BlackBerry Passport review: A smartphone going nowhere
- 2 Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A flagship at 4.6-inches
- 3 Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Windows 8.1 tablet
- 4 Samsung Galaxy Tab S (10.5) 4G review
- 5 TomTom Runner Cardio GPS watch
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Google extends two-factor authentication with physical USB keys
- Google, Facebook continue massive lobbying efforts in Q3
- Rimini Street's practices remain 'suspect,' Oracle alleges
- Digital rights groups ask ITU to stay out of net neutrality debate
- FTC appoints privacy researcher Soltani as chief technologist
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW
- FTTechnical Marketing ManagerNSW
- CCConsumer Product Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | Sales ManagerNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTSales Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW