Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk (3TB) external hard drive
A Seagate desktop hard drive with 3TB of storage
- 3TB capacity, detachable adapter tray, good cost-to-gigabyte ratio
- Weak tray makes it unstable
The Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk is a great option for anyone requiring lots of storage space.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
Seagate's GoFlex Desk External Drive is a 3TB USB 2.0 external hard drive. Optional adapters can be used to add USB 3.0 and FireWire connectivity.
The Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk is relatively slim considering its huge storage capacity. It’s somewhat skinnier than the Western Digital MyBook World Edition (1TB) (44mm), although slightly taller (158mm).
The GoFlex Desk has a detachable bottom tray that allows users to switch between USB 2.0, USB 3.0 and FireWire 800 connections (the USB 3.0 and FireWire adaptors are sold separately, for $69 a pop). While this is convenient, the tray doesn't feel as sturdy as we'd like. During our tests, the unit toppled over after a minor knock (luckily, it wasn't near the desk's edge).
The drive has four LEDs that act as a capacity drive. There's a SATA port hidden underneath the detachable tray; if you use it you'll need to sit the device flat on its size and the capacity gauge won't work, however.
The 3TB Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk comes with a ‘Seagate Dashboard’ interface, which handles backup management, synchronisation and data encryption. When prompted to install the hard drive’s Memeo backup software, you can either install the free (but limited) version, or trial the premium version for 30 days. The premium version allows you to backup data online or to specific locations on the drive.
Overall, the GoFlex Desk external hard drive impressed us during our USB 2.0 storage benchmarking tests. During our 19.4GB large file benchmark reading test, the hard drive produced an average speed of 29.2MB per second and completed the task in 12 minutes and 57 seconds. During our 19.4GB large file writing test, the unit generated an average speed of 29.5MBps and finished the job in 13 minutes and three seconds.
In our 3GB small file benchmark reading test, the unit demonstrated an average speed of 16.6MBps, tidying up at three minutes and nine seconds. During our 3GB small file writing benchmark, the GoFlex delivered an average speed of 12.7MBps, checking out at four minutes.
The FreeAgent GoFlex Desk hard drive costs 14 cents per formatted gigabyte, which we think is reasonably good value. It's a great option for anyone who is after serious storage capacity, security and peace of mind.
Become a fan of PC World Australia on Facebook
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Western Digital begins production of the world's tallest 3D NAND 'skyscraper'
- WD will make a record-breaking 14TB hard drive available next year
- Start hoarding SSDs: Prices are expected to spike as supply gets tight
- Intel's silence on Optane SSDs raises questions about launch and focus
- Seagate crams a massive 5TB into a portable hard drive
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTMonitoring Tools Support l NimSoft , SMARTS, ehealth, TivoliNSW
- TPWinforms DevelopersWA
- CCTest AnalystWA
- TPDatabase Integration SpecialistVIC
- CCProject Manager - Adelaide basedNSW
- FTFront-End DevOps Developer/Consultant - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- CCManager AnalyticsNSW
- TPDeployment Specialist (DevOps)QLD
- CCDeployment EngineerSA
- FTOnline Solutions AnalystNSW
- CCProject / Portfolio SchedulerNSW
- CCCloud Solution Architect - Financial Services - Continuous IntegrationNSW
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerVIC
- TPAgile CoachNSW
- CCSAP Consultant - SAP Native HANA to DesignWA
- FTMicrosoft ProgrammerSA
- FTNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager - PERMANENTACT
- TPDigital Project ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Technical SpecialistNSW
- TPJava DeveloperVIC
- FTData AnalystQLD
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Web DeveloperNSW
- TPNodeJS DeveloperNSW