Seagate External 100GB
- Solid design, fast write speeds, cool and quiet
- Expensive, sluggish read speeds, no automatic backup options
It costs a pretty penny, but proves to be the perfect solution for users looking to expand their laptop’s storage capacity or take their work home with them, without having to worry about burning CDs.
Price$ 439.00 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 1 store)
- GoFlex Satellite HDD 500G Black (Avail: In Stock) 216.00
Seagate's 100 gigabyte external hard drive is both a reliable and portable storage solution. Built with a simple, no fuss and highly portable design, what the Seagate lacks in features, it makes up for in convenience and simplicity.
The drive's aluminium-alloy casing provides a durable yet lightweight exterior, while ventilation holes on three of the four sides of the drive help to keep it remarkably cool during operation. The design is quite stylish; black and silver with a blue neon power light, and a simple USB 2.0 port on the side of the device. This connection allows for both power and data transfer, although users with USB 1.1 ports on their computer will need to find a third party device to power the hard drive.
The Seagate performed very competitively in our tests, with impressively fast write times, especially when copying large numbers of files and folders together. It had some of the slowest read times we've seen so far, but not by a large enough margin to justify dismissing it. Our text string search was also a little slower than competing products, but again, only by a few seconds in most cases.
Technical specs for the drive are impressive, with a 5400rpm speed and an 8MB cache. Even when running at full speed, the drive's cooling system made excess heat barely noticeable, and it was whisper quiet.
The Seagate doesn't come with any automatic backup options, although third party software is available to accomplish this. The included software CD has some basic disc management programs, which provide users with a quick and easy way to format, partition and manage their drive.
We are hesitant to recommend this drive given its high dollar to gigabyte price ratio, although Seagate do have a reputation for building solid and reliable hard drives, and the rugged design of their external range continues this trend. A twelve month warranty is also provided, for peace of mind. If you can spare the money, then the Seagate will prove to be a simple, reliable and readily portable storage solution.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung's Galaxy Alpha review: A peek into the Galaxy S6
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: The busiest, biggest and best Samsung phablet
- 3 Aldi's $279 Bauhn Sphere review: Disappointing
- 4 Nokia Lumia 735 review: Perfectly ordinary
- 5 Bowers & Wilkins P5 (Series 2) review: For elegant sound
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Breaking up Google is just one possible antritrust option, EU lawmakers say
- 'Less' means more to malware authors targeting Linux users
- UK plans to introduce new Web snooping law
- NXP opens wallet to build wearables with better battery life
- Apple iPad Mini 3 review: Paying top dollar for yesterday's tech
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- FTSEO Content ExecutiveVIC
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- FTMarketing Solutions ManagerNSW
- FTDigital Account ManagerNSW
- CCStrategic Partner ManagerNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- CCWeb / Mobile Developer - Magento - HTML5, CSS - Excellent CMS SkillsNSW
- FTProgram Manager - Integration & SolutionsNSW
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Port Augusta / Whyalla AreaSA
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Echuca AreaVIC
- FTChief Information Officer - CSIROACT
- FTPartnership Manager - MediaNSW